Software disaster! Advice Welcomed!

I am a recent graduate and started working at my current position about 6 months ago.

When I first started I was under the impression that there was a new section/building being prepared soon were I was going to move with the co workers on my team. This meant that I would be getting a new desk and computer.

Until then I would work on a temporary desk (a laptop). I used the temporary desk to do my work until I would move to the new area. The laptop I used at the time did not edit pdfs so I decided to place an order for a software that would let me do that. I figured that once I got to my new desk that I could install the software there since this desk was only going to be temporary.

When one of my co workers went on maternity leave so I was given her desk and computer until she comes back (or another high ranking person on our team takes my place). This means that I get to use her computer for my work and it has the ability to edit pdfs. I haven't heard anything more about the new space being built at all since during this time.

I am not sure what to do. It has been a few months since I put in the order (in October). The IT department keep emailing me when I would like to install it. I told the IT department that I would tell them when I would be sitting at my permanent desk but months have passed, I am not sure if I am going to get one at this point or when that is going to happen.

I am not sure what to do as I am going to be at my current desk until march (maybe), as that is when the person who went on maternality leave comes back or if they higher someone that is higher ranking. I am scared to tell my superior as I didn't think I would be that this desk for so long (I thought it was only a temporary thing to be at this woman’s desk). I am not sure what to do.

I am very nervous about it. I think these things have licensees that expire? I am not very tech savy to be honest.

I guess I could pay back the cost of the software if they ask, but I am hoping it doesn't come to that.

This is my first job and I don't want to get fired. It was an honest mistake.

Thank you for the advice.

Call the software customer service and find out. Inform IT and explain that you expected your desk by now. Get information and present it forward and honest. No one would trust you if you do anything other. Be impecible with your word.

• Like 1

Im assuming you got your purchase authorised by a supervisor. If so, speak to whoever authorised the purchase and ask what you should tell the IT guys.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

First, relax :). This is likely not at all a big issue unless you were supposed to get permission from a higher-up before placing an order for the software. And even then you probably will not get into trouble, just a reminder about the process.

Many, if not most, offices are notorious for taking forever to make any kind of change, so it's not at all surprising that this change of offices/buildings is taking so long. This is most certainly not your fault :).

I'd email IT back and just tell them that it turns out that you're using the maternity lady's computer for now and it has what you need, so you won't need the software yet, but when you do, you'll let them know. You could also say that if someone else needs it in the meantime, feel free to use it on their computer.

Don't fret. If there's actually an IT department to "order stuff from" it sounds like a fairly large company and I think they can handle the cost of an additional Adobe license :).

• Like 2

I'm from the IT side. CautiouslyOptimistic's advice sounds good.

I'm not quite sure I fully understand your concern(s) though.

Is your concern is that you bought a license for the temp laptop? And now you're using the computer of the person on maternity leave, which already has the PDF edit software?

Will you still need the software on your own computer anyways, when the maternity leave person comes back? So maybe it's okay you already bought the license, since purchases can take time anyways. You were being proactive!

IT can help transfer the license from the temp laptop to whatever your permanent computer will be.

They can revoke the license now too, and you and they make a note of the license. When it's time to have the software on your permanent computer, you or they can install the software and apply the license then.

Edited by Chris2016
  • Like 1

OP, can you tell us which application you're referring to? I manage enterprise licensing for my company, so I might be able to offer insight if I know the product in question.

Help me edit PDFs.

Adobe Pro, I think?

Yeah that works. If you're looking for something that's free you could try SmallPDF but I wouldn't recommend it for sensitive information because I'm unsure of their privacy policy.

There's three current editions of Adobe Acrobat Professional: DC (perpetual), 2017 (perpetual), and DC (subscription).

If they ordered a perpetual license for you, then it's already paid for. Perpetual licenses are tied to an installation location, not a named user. Thus, you can inform IT of your situation and they can choose to sit on the license or reallocate it elsewhere if needed and just purchase another one when you do need it.

If they ordered you a subscription license, then the company is paying monthly for that license and it's not being used. Again, informing IT of your specific situation is the best course. They can allocate the license elsewhere and reassign to you when you do need it. Adobe subscription licenses can be reassigned at will without a waiting period.

I'm leaning towards your company using perpetual licenses since you mentioned sharing a computer. Subscription licenses are allocated to named users, so you would not have access to the woman on maternity leave's Acrobat subscription license unless you were using the same credentials and email address.

• Like 1

HiCrunchy,

Could you not just tell IT to install it on your laptop that you're going to be going back to in March?