Finding a new job...how? When you work 8-5?

I've been looking, yes. I'm ready to leave. I'm sure I'll be here shortly posting needing support giving my two week notice.

I've been here for 6 and 1/2 years. How would I get away with interviewing or taking calls while on the job? These people know my every move, my life, all of my appointments, etc. Then if I do lie, and say I have a doctor's appt, all of the sudden I'm leaving and they know I'm a liar, not good!

When do I take calls, when do I schedule interviews...they've got me by the nads!

This one place called and I asked them to call in one hour, after 5 pm. He called back two days later, I was sitting here with a patient and my damn cell phone is ringing! :rolleyes: I'm thinking, okay dumbass, I really don't wanna work for you!

I put on my cover letter that calls after 5 p.m. are appreciated. What else can I do? I have my own office, my own line, but I cannot talk during office hours without the entire office hearing me?!

Help. :o

IhavenoFREAKINclue

I can't help you but I wanted to subscribe to this thread. I am curious too. They are on me like white on rice and I too have been looking for another job. People even answer my phone in my office. So if another company were to call to set something up, my co-workers know right away.

Well in the long run who cares if they are all up in yo' business if you are gonna get the hell out of there!!! Try your best and if you still can't keep it under wraps then you have to do what you have to do. You could not possibly have stayed there forever!!

get a cell if you don't have one and only give prospective employers that phone#. That way u can step outside when they call.

• Author

lol...and it's not like you can answer your cell and act like it's a friend...."yeah sure holmes, call me back after 5"....NOT!!!! It's more like "Yes, sir...could you return my call after 5 please?". I mean, you want to atleast TRY to be proper. It's so obvious to me. My cell never rings.

And I can't alleviate everyone for calls after 5 only. Arrrgh.

And that's not even the friggin interview! Damn. No telling what I'll have to do for that?!

• Author
Originally posted by ~Naive~

Well in the long run who cares if they are all up in yo' business if you are gonna get the hell out of there!!! Try your best and if you still can't keep it under wraps then you have to do what you have to do. You could not possibly have stayed there forever!!

True.

Originally posted by alphamale

get a cell if you don't have one and only give prospective employers that phone#. That way u can step outside when they call.

If I were to step outside, it'd be sooo obvious. They're all up in my business.

Originally posted by tiki

If I were to step outside, it'd be sooo obvious. They're all up in my business.

so what, just say its is a private call (family sheeyot, medical sheyot, financial sheeyot)....whatever. everyone has private stuff they need to discuss.

lie lie lie

imjustagirl

Well, since we've had 5 people leave our office within the past year, including our CIO...lemme tell you a few tricks of the trade. And you may ask....yes, I too am looking for a job. This place sucks monkey nads!

1. Use the company's computers/internet to do your job search. Send our your resume and fill out your applications ON work time (this is what everyone is doing now a days)

2. Have prospective employers call your cell phone during your noon time. Yeah, they may want to go to lunch, but they'd rather miss lunch than have to work late to call.

3. Schedule random days off. One every few weeks till you find the job. This gives you time to find a job. Schedule interviews....and allow people to call you whenever. Or, you could just call in sick those days...plus, if your job sucks as much as mine does, you need a mental health day every now and then.

4.. Deny Deny Deny all phone calls. (yeah, it was some old friend from high school, they're wanting to do an impromtu class reunion..or donate bone marrow)

That's all I got. Worked for all 5 that left here....hopefully it'll be working for me within the next week or so :D Off to send out another resume!

~justa~

Lunch hours. Hopefully you do get an hour. Then all you have to say is "I'm going downtown'. and go. Make up a gift occasion or some sort of hunt for a difficult-to-find object that has you going out a few times a week to find. Make up a 'friend in trouble' that you have to go talk to at lunch every couple of days. Have employers leave messages at your home phone if you don't want to get a cell. Most home answering systems allow you to retrieve messages from away - again, check for your calls at lunchtime.

look TIKI, almost everyone is privy to these "games" at the workplace cause almost everyone has played them. so WTF is the big deal. just be sneaky and lie thru your teeth. big f***king deal man! :)

hire a recruiter. they are easy to find. there is one for every industry. they are like an agent. buy them a cup of coffee and tell them what you want and then they find the job YOU are looking for. they only send a resume when you give approval and the most important thing is the leg work is done by someone who knows the street. then the best part is that it is all for free. the employer pays the fee. you get a new job. the recruiter gets a fee. the employer gets you. that is that. oh and let them write the resume and the cover letter. they know what is best.

• Author

My lunch break I spend with them. I do curves with a co-worker MWF and the office buys our lunch every T, TH. We all go out. :o

I thought of something for the interview time. I'll have to tell them I'm having problems with my new night guard (I finally got one for my TMJ) and that should work.

I still have no good reason for the phone call tho. I know I'm being silly, people leave all the time.

Thanks you guys for your help.

justa....I'm applying online, emailing resumes and faxing a few here and there, from the office.

I found a great jobsite that I like, besides all the normal ones. PM me if anyone is interested.

Use your lunch hour and breaks to make calls or take interviews. Ask for early morning interviews or late in the day, after hours even if you can. Most companies are pretty flexible when hiring and understand that the employees they want to attract are the CURRENTLY WORKING EMPLOYEES rather then the people that have been unemployed and drawing unemployment benefits for the last 6 months while not even getting off the couch to try and find a job.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

I have had companies ask me if it would be a problem to call during the day or would I prefer they call me after hours at home. Nice of them I thought.

Originally posted by moimeme

CIOC's a recruiter..

What does that mean?

He helps people place into jobs that he knows are available.

Personally, I'm a big fan and advocate of LinkedIn (I could use some more contacts as well so PM me if you want to know more). This uses the business contacts you know and you can network to help get you closer to the jobs you want or know that are available. Most companies realize that you could be currently employed, so it does give them the question of are they able to leave after two weeks notice? Some also get leary of people unemployed for so long, because it gives the impression that others have found something that you haven't mentioned.

I had a long discussion today about the whole job hunt process today with a buddy of mine who has his own business but wants the easier factor of working for a company rather than having to do it all himself. It all comes down to who you know, and how you interview. Dinner interviews are actually a norm.

I'm crossing my fingers now, but I think I landed my dream job just hours ago. I will find out final verdict tomorrow hopefully.

1. Change the greeting on your cell's vmail. For example:

"Hello, this is Tiki your call is very important to me, please leave your name and phone number and I'll return your call after 5:00 pm."

2. Return calls after 5:00 pm.

You can leave your cell on vibrate and use the caller ID to screen calls. If it's a number you don't recognize you can let it go to vmail or whatever.

I think you have the rest figured out with your TMJ excuse. :)

tiki-

I had the same issues.

Believe me, you want a job bad enough, you'll find a way to get it!

Use your cell phone...

leave the phone turned off while in the office. check your vm's at various breaks from the desk.

return calls to employers who want you to contact them when no one is around & you can break away from the desk for a minute or two. check your answering machine messages at home. check your PERSONAL email.

do this periodically when no one is around.

as for the interview...what i did was schedule them either very early in the morning or late in the day.

this way, I would just tell my boss, I had a personal/family matter to run to.

if these people are up yoru a$$ all the time, & you say you have a doc appt, they may want a note.

i know this sounds cold, but even lie...about horrific things. tell them somebody died, somebody you love went into labor, etc. or tell them straight out you have female problems...and you need to go home & rest. you don't need a doc's note for that. try to schedule a couple of interviews in one day even. this way, you could take a personal/vac/sick day off from work.

with me, i was in the same boat you are. but still, i looked for jobs during working hours. sent out resumes, made calls, etc. i communicated via email mainly. for my job offer, the vp of the company sent me an email to call him asap...i did so at my desk and he offered me the position. later , he & the hr mgr sent me an email, congradulating me on my new job with the company. which is good, since email also is written proof of an accepted job offer.

this company was courteous. they scheduled my interviews before working hours. for the first interview, the vp came in 2 hours early to interview me. the second, the ceo, vp, hr mgr, & my "potential" supervisor came in 2 hrs early to meet me for a second & final interview...they made the decision later that afternoon & offered methe job.

but i really wanted the job. it was what i wanted for years. it was a good "fit" as they said; a match.

so, to be honest, i didn't care.

there's even a book on how "dating" is like working.

it's true to...

like when you are with a crappy bf where there's no future, as you are with a crappy job w/no future, you want to leave, but fear change.

same with a date...

but when you find some job oppt you are "lukewarm" about, you tend to slip back and stick with the comfortable dependable one. Then suddenly, an oppt comes that you know in your heart, is "the one". Like dating, you suddnely find you will go on interviews, even during work hours to get the job. Same with the crappy bf...

you find mr. wonderful instead, and you ditch the crappy bf to be with him...

let you intution do the guiding...

Fallen_Angel

I also recommend using your cell, and making calls during lunch if at all possible (that's what I did to land my new job).

At my old job, time off was time off. You didn't have to specify what you were doing, although people inevitably would ask because it was a small office & they were all nosy. I lied, or at least tried to. I'm not very good at it. In fact I believe my excuse for taking a half day the day of the second interview was "it's nice out."

The HR woman from my new job called me while my boss was in earshot! I think I had put the wrong number down on one of the forms, but in any event...whoa. I was SO embarrassed.

Don't forget to clear your history if you're searching for new jobs online at work!