How to get a passing grade with a bad professor and with possible depression?

I have been taking a course with a bad professor with struggling with possible depression (I haven't been formally diagnosed but if you have been following my threads well you know the deal)

I have been a pretty strong student academically so the grades I have been getting have been surprising me.

I have been mentally struggling a bit so it has been hard for concentrate specifically when my mind has been struggling to focus.

I have one exam and 2 finals for the next class. I so far have a B- in the class and would like to get at least a B.

CautiouslyOptimistic

A tutor? When I was in college I had to take two accounting courses and I am not inclined that way at all. I had a classmate tutor me to help me just PASS :).

• Like 1
thefooloftheyear

Just do your best....You are young...Maybe after you get through this semester, you can take a break from your education to get your life in order...It may be for only a semester or maybe a full year, but people take breaks from their education all the time for a variety of reasons....No one would fault you for it, and I see no reason to add to your stress..

TFY

A combo of the following:

1. meeting with the professor to discuss expectations & the material

2. join a study group

3. get a tutor

Even if the professor is not a good instructor, you still need to master the material.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

See if your uni/college has a pastoral section which offers study skills/workshops and take up any that might help.

Gen up on plagiarism and never risk it.

Pay attention to the recommended reading list and ask your Prof to recommend which are the most important books to read.

Go to your doc and get a diagnosis. Follow up on any further doc appointments and take up counselling, therapy, whatever is offered that you feel you could attend. The benefit of doing this is that you may get support with your depression and also if you did fail an assignment, you have medical extenuating circumstances to put forward. You would need evidence of this and a doc's certificate or note would be such. You may, for instance, get the chance of a further assessment if you fail one and also fail a reassessment.

Have you got a Personal Adviser or Academic Advisor as well as your Prof? if so, meet with them to discuss best ways forward and what approaches to study they might suggest. Ask them to suggest priorities too.

If need be, request an extension for an assignment. Medical reasons can be one reason an extension might be given. Extensions can give you a bit more time to get your head together if you are struggling but be mindful that you could end up having to meet all your deadlines at the same time if you do this. Try to keep deadlines spaced out so there is no pressure bottle-neck.

Medical support and study skills support might really help. A visit to the doc is really important though for putting on record that you are unwell and struggling at the moment. It could enable you to have extensions and reassessments. Keep any appointment letters and make note of appointments and medications/treatments. You never know when this might come in handy.

It sounds like you are doing well despite your depression. I wish you all the best for your course.

I am familiar with the field so please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Edited by spiderowl