changing careers while depressed

I have struggled with depression for most of my life. It's getting worse & more debilitating.

One of my biggest stressors is that I have a high profile job with a great deal of pressure & a lot of people relying on me. I have worked in the same field my whole career: in the public sector, in private companies & for the last 12 years for myself. The pressures of running a business are quite overwhelming for me right now. Part of me feels incredibility guilty because I make a nice living but don't work very hard.

I want to throw all the pieces up in the air & reinvent myself. My husband didn't like my first choice because it only pays 20% of what I am making. I saw something else interesting but that job closed before I had the opportunity to apply. I only found the ad late in the day the posting closed & it was a long application process.

My therapist wants me to take a break from all work for 6 months to a year to fully heal. But then she says I need to keep learning & challenging myself or I will go stir crazy. Talk about mixed messages. I don't really want to do nothing because I like to travel & would feel like a leach if I expected DH to pay for everything without contributing. We could live off his salary alone but not as freely as we do with my income too.

So . . . has anybody changed careers while battling depression? Did it help? Did it make things worse?

I feel like I need a change but I also feel scared to try. I'm better when my back is to the wall though.

Hey d0n,

Part of me feels incredibility guilty because I make a nice living but don't work very hard.

Sounds like you're really efficient. I wish I could say the same.

Have I tried changing careers while being depressed? No, I haven't. Even for people who aren't depressed, trying to change careers is pretty stressful. My ex tried changing careers a few years ago and it was a difficult time. She finally got a job in the industry she was interested but she had a 30% pay cut and it was only an internship for 6 months. She was able to convert that internship into a full-time job and she's doing really well now. My point here is that when one is looking for a career change, they need to be open to starting from the bottom or somewhere close to it and start working up. It's definitely not easy seeing less experienced people earning more than you but over time, your experience is going to come to the fore and you can make quick progress. If you feel you're ready to tough it out in the beginning then go ahead and keep looking for that job. But if you feel like you need a break to recharge your batteries, take a short one (not more than 3 months) and jump back into the action with verve.

All the best!

I also have struggled with depression most of my long life. It does not get easier over time . I changed careers twice when depressed and it worked out all right but that doesnt mean it will be all right for you because I dont know the details involved. Now I am retired with no career and very relieved. But I had low pressure jobs but still aggravating. I took a pay cut.

Glad I did. Don't rush into your decision. If you wait until you feel better, you may well not change careers.

Therapists are not always right! They are only 1 source of advice. The old saying is true: do what your gut tells you.

• Like 2

The first time I changed careers when depressed it was incredible and was one of the main reasons I came out of it, I discovered a passion for helping others.

My latest job has actually caused me to be quite down unfortunately and still trying to work out how to get my confidence back. I just for whatever reason am no good at playing the politics and its become increasingly clear to me thats what I need to get better at.

Hi d0nnivain,

I'm sorry you too deal with depression. I won't necessarily advise you to make a decision, but I will tell you what I would do. I would take that plunge and stop my work if I could afford it and if it was contributing to my depression. I've done it before, and although I am still not making the amount of money that I used to, I'm very grateful that I did leave where I was, because I chose mental health over high pay. Health is way more important to me. I know that depression can have a way of sucking fun out of anything, and there's no use spending money on something if I can't even fully enjoy it.

I would look deep into myself and try to remember what it was that I used to be so passionate about, and use that as a starting point for a new search.

• Like 1