On my way out?

I am working on a 12 month contract abroad that expires in 2017. Initially, being the only American in the department I work for in an American company, the bosses were thrilled to have me here. They were all Americans and I accepted the job because the name of the company is a major boost on my resume (which has a job lapse of about 1.5 years due to illness). However, the position has been restructured in the past 9 months about 3 times and it is very hectic and disorganized (there were two people that left before me for this reason). Most recently they gave me a new local manager when my American manager returned to the States who is very shady and hires by nepotism and is a notoriously horrid person. The remote mangers in the US have suddenly, after constantly praising my work and being VERY appreciative, become critical of everything. I am convinced that the new manger is influencing them. Every new person who joins the department is a friend or relative of this manager and I am sure he hopes that once my 12 months are up, he can replace me with one of his cronies. I asked openly if my contract will be renewed and my manager in the US has told me he has asked the local manager and HR so we should know by month's end. Any ideas if the contract will be renewed or if these are ominous signs?

My advice for you is to hope for the best, but plan for the worst. And I stress the plan for the worst part because it would be tragic for you to ignore that part and do nothing. Good luck.

• Like 1

There's no way of knowing someone else's motivations or what decision they will make. Is there a way for you to inquire with this manager, professionally, about what your contract renewal depends on? Tell him that you would like to do your very best at the company and does he have any advice on how to improve your performance?

Always frame it in terms of what you can do for the company, not what's in it for you.

Nepotism is a beast. Don't you have an HR policy that addresses this?

Whatever you do, I wouldn't reveal your dissatisfaction with this manager's work. Remember the basic rules of business - never criticize, condemn, or complain (at least openly).

• Author
There's no way of knowing someone else's motivations or what decision they will make. Is there a way for you to inquire with this manager, professionally, about what your contract renewal depends on? Tell him that you would like to do your very best at the company and does he have any advice on how to improve your performance?

Always frame it in terms of what you can do for the company, not what's in it for you.

Nepotism is a beast. Don't you have an HR policy that addresses this?

Whatever you do, I wouldn't reveal your dissatisfaction with this manager's work. Remember the basic rules of business - never criticize, condemn, or complain (at least openly).

Yes, nepotism is like a tradition in this country I am working in and it has squirmed it's way into the American corporations as well. Actually, I did ask a VP who supports and trains me and he says he sent an email to my direct manager and to the HR supervisor. A week later he asked me if I had heard anything and I said nothing and he said "ok, let me send them a reminder email that you have to hear by date x" (this time he pushed out the date even further). So I am hoping for something. Just today my local manager suddenly got interested in my full name and personal data so it's a bit odd.