Writing unsolicited positive note .

Hi Everyone.... I have a question as I am wrting a letter for a friend. She is going for a new job in another town. We really do not want her to leave. Is it appropriate to write a nice commendation letter for her to her boss? I am thinking if it is a nice note maybe her current company will be more apt to counter and or maybe she will be recognized and eventually more happy at her current employer and not leave for any new work.

Well, just a thought. She has done good things and it is always nice to write a commendation or positive anecdotal. In the end if she wants to take a new job then at least we said all our good things and she can always use it as a reference.

Unsolicited. Just send it to the supervisor of the department or give her a copy as well? Thought it would be nice to just do it without looking for a return thankyou. We are very proud of all she has done in the 8 years she has been in the area. Maybe will give her a copy down the road. Most likely her super will copy to her attention anyway.

it depends -- do you or have you worked in a professional capacity with her? As in, she's a sales rep whose territory covers your office, and you've always found her cheerful and pleasant and knowledgeable to work with? Or your company contacted her to help solve a problem and her work was way above and beyond what you thought would do the trick?

in those instances, where her skills have benefited your outfit, then yeah, go for it, and don't worry about letting her know you sent the letter -- if they mention to her that they had a positive response from a client because of her work, that prolly will be icing on the cake for her.

but if it's just letter with no real connection to what she does -- other than being your beloved friend you don't want to see leave -- it'd be harder to convince her employers that she is a treasure the company cannot afford to lose.

you haven't said if she even wants to stay with her current employer. She may be ready to go to a much better job even if it means leaving y'all behind.

• Author

Yes. Actually I am on the board of a agency she used to be an employee on her off hours with and have been in several arenas and traveled on business together several times. On one hand it is same line of work. On the other it is worlds colliding.

Even if she leaves the company but stays in the area we will still cross paths professionally. It is just that way due to the nature of our business. She does not see me as a colleague but rather a friend in town. So it would be somewhat of a reveal to her employer that I have an insight into her work character.

So you advise, keep it to business and the nature of what she does and not anything social.

Will not even mention the job offer. Just shall be positive. I know she is unhappy w some things at work and yet would like to see it improve. She would stay if they countered I think.

HokeyReligions

Do an internet search on writing reference letters and take a look at the different styles and how to handle them professionally. I have several letters of reference from past employers. Letters from friends, unless asked for by a prospective employer, are not as well received. We know that a friend is going to say nice things, but unless they can talk about working relationships that will be relevant to the new (or old) position they are a nice waste of time.