health insurance stress

The number one thing I have been stressed about lately is health insurance. I have worked at a small office for ten years now and health insurance is no longer offered. I buy my own single plan.

Well - - In 2018 my premium is increasing 73%!!! Of course, I will shop for a different plan but I know that means it will have an outrageous deductible. I am not one that goes to the doctor often and I am a healthy person, but I would like the security of having good health insurance.

I live in a small, rural area with not a lot of job opportunities. When I do apply for jobs, I have absolutely no luck. I have been applying around here for two years now. I don't want to move because I love the area (my hometown) and I own my house.

Has anyone ever been in this situation? Do I stress too much about health insurance? Do other people worry about health insurance?

Financial stress is awful. It manifests in different ways for people. Yours is the costs of health insurance. There are no easy answers.

Consider doing things to improve your income -- like PT job, driving for Uber etc. That may get you the funds to pay the increase.

UpwardForward

It can be done, and to not have to go to the doctor. Unless you think there is a strong chance you will contact cancer.

When I was about 60, I lost over $3000. I was so mad at myself, I cancelled my health insurance. I more than recouped that $3000. Then at 65 I was able to get medicare.

I'm now 76 and (for the most part) don't even use my medicare, except for a few minor skin cancers.

CautiouslyOptimistic

I hear ya. I've been self employed for five years, and have seen my premiums and deductibles sky rocket. I no longer have health insurance.

Look into healthcare sharing ministries. It's what I'm doing. And you don't have to pay the penalty for not having health insurance if you have it. Mine is $150/month.

• Like 1

Indeed they do have stress. I started a thread on it seven years ago:

http://www.loveshack.org/forums/off-topic/political-proselytization-warmongering/222694-health-insurance-you

IMO, hammer the government on the subsidy and then when that plays out, go on MedicAid.

I refuse to support a greedy and corrupt system run by criminals, politicians and lawyers. They need to go.

Don't get me started on undertakers ;)

Are there going to be subsidies?

That is the $1M question.

Write your local elected officials, your Congressman & your Senator. Let them know your situation so they can vote the right way for you.

You can qualify for MedicAid if you try. All it takes is the will. Myself, I'm working hard to keep paying my share for health insurance even if I don't use it. Granted, if you're a W2 person they own you. I ejected employers over a generation ago. Far more freedom out there than working for the man and being a slave to government.

I feel for all you guys, and we are in the same boat with the skyrocketing premiums.

We are all healthy and rarely go to the doctor, and have to pay up the ying-yang for the Obamacare. I hope to look into some non-Obamacare things, or keep looking for a job with health insurance. My husband owns a business so we have no benefits.

• Like 1

I had to go without health insurance for 6 months this year due to being in between jobs. I missed the marketplace exchange signup as I was employed at the time. I'm healthy and go to the doctor once a year for a physical to get birth control. It was honestly cheaper for me to just pay the penalty and $32 out of pocket each month for birth control than to pay the monthly premiums for health insurance I never use.

• Like 2

I hear ya OP. I was recently laid off. Now I have to buy health insurance? Ugggh!!!

Cobra is tupid, $700 a month! Heck no.

• Like 1

Cobra used to be stupid expensive, or so it was perceived, but a necessary evil and stress to ensure continuity of insurance during interim between jobs. Now it, evidently, is normal. As a comparison, the ACA plan I had last year now has a gross premium of 972/mo. Non-smoker, near 60, no medical claims since ACA took effect, no drugs. Grand a month.

UpwardForward
Cobra used to be stupid expensive, or so it was perceived, but a necessary evil and stress to ensure continuity of insurance during interim between jobs. Now it, evidently, is normal. As a comparison, the ACA plan I had last year now has a gross premium of 972/mo. Non-smoker, near 60, no medical claims since ACA took effect, no drugs. Grand a month.

Cut the cord - like I did. Wait for your MediCare at 65.