I am in shock! Just learn my office burnt down!

I have just had a phone call telling me an air conditionning caught in fire in our offices and the part that wasn't burnt was flooded by sprinklers and firemen. It's a total loss.

I am so in shock! I have been working there for 15 years! We are 2 days away from fiscal year end! Apparently our Server (database) was saved but all pc, printers, scanners, monitors and all documents - gone. It will take a week just to suck the water out....I am lost for words.

I have to attend a family dinner in a couple of hours and my mind isn't there at all. First thing tomorrow morning I will head there to assess the situation which is desperate anyway you look at it.

I have important govenment deadlines on the 31st. I will not be able to meet them, I doubt if I can. I have never been in a situation like this before, can the government take into consideration that type of agravating situation?

these sort of extenuating circumstances happen all the time, i'm sure the govt will cut you some slack. i'm so sorry for you r loss gaeta. things will be ok but it will take some time. make sure to document everything

• Like 1

I'm so sorry. Yes people will take the fire into consideration re: deadlines. You can't do the impossible.

• Like 1
  • Author

I just spoke to our CA and he told me to file Tuesday even if my report isn't complete. This way I will avoid late penalties. It will generate a notice of assessment and I will be given an additional deadline to complete the missing info.

He said if I explain our situation they will need proof, pictures, police reports, cleaners reports, insurance reports and I will be getting myself in a big nighmare with no end. I tend to beleive him.

The building maintenance people sent me pictures. Documents are floating all over. :(

Edited by Gaeta

That’s absolutely horrible :( I’m sure there is a way around with the deadlines considering it was a fire but in any case, I can imagine how stressful it is...

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you all for your moral support.

We have to be there first thing in the morning to move what ever we can salvage before they start ripping floors and walls. The company next to us has several empty offices and are offering us shelter. So nice of them!

CautiouslyOptimistic

So sorry this happened. I can't imagine there NOT being extensions given in a case like this, although I have no experience with the government other than paying them my taxes. Hope it all works out. Thank God nobody was hurt.

• Like 1

Oh boy, Sorry to hear of this.Take care of yourself and have comfort knowing nobody was hurt. (I assume nobody was) Things are replaceable but people are not.

• Like 1

I can't begin to imagine how you are feeling. Not surprised you won't be focused on the family dinner. Sending you strength.

• Like 1
LivingWaterPlease

I am so sorry to read of this, Gaeta! Yes, things like this happen so am sure the government and other entities (insurance cos., etc.) you will need to advise of the situation have protocols set up in advance to guide you through it.

I would imagine as you begin to work your way through this ordeal others you are working with will have stories of their own to share with you of this type thing and will offer you support and helpful advice!

Who knows? Perhaps even some on LS who have gone through this type thing will have helpful advice for you!

Wishing you strength and tenacity as you put one foot in front of the other dealing with this situation!

• Like 1

Glad everyone is OK.

I tend to concur with the on-site advice you got. File in good faith on time and amend as accurate data is acquired.

I would presume much of your data is electronic and apparently that or backups of it were largely saved. If so, that should support a good faith and timely filing.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I don't have anything concrete to say about the deadline.

But OMG! I'm so sorry this has happened!

I'm not surprised your mind wasn't on the family meal.

Hope you managed to get some sleep last night.

• Like 1