How to mentally bounce back after being fired?

Last week, I was told I wasn't a good fit at my work place and that my last day would be in 60 days. I wasn't given anymore details than that. I handled my termination talk very well in the office. I was professional and returned to carry out my duties as they fired me in the middle of a 12 hr shift. A few days after the firing, I became sick so I've only worked 2 days since then. I return to work tomorrow. However, today, the feelings of inadequacy and depression finally sank in. Don't get me wrong, I agree I wasn't a good fit at that clinic and am kind of relieved I can leave in 50 days as the hours were dragging me down and I kept getting sick (perks of working with sick patients and being over worked). But now my self esteem and confidence has taken a hit.

My question is, what's the best way to bounce back mentally so I can rock my interviews? I've been applying to jobs since the day after my termination and put the word out to my network that I'm in the market for employment. Im afraid I'll come across as depressed and timid during my interviews if I don't get right mentally first. Any tips?

Yes,

I think a positive direction for you is to talk to your friends, neighbors, people next to you on the bus/sidewalk/subway (if they're at all interested in a casual conversation).

Tell them what kind of job you want to get!

Go into detail. What hours, days do you want to work? What sort of atmosphere do you want to work in? How many people? How many patients/clients per day/hour? What sort of room for promotion (or not)? What special focus do you want your next job to have? (if it's medical, burn unit? General practice? House calls? Private nurse for a family? Private nurse for a corporation?) A for profit? A not-for-profit? Children's care? Research facility? How much pay? What kind of benefits? etc., etc.

Go over this with one person, then another, then another. Don't plan it, just start talking about it and see where you go. Make each conversation different. See if the person you're talking to has any questions or ideas.

The more you can do this, the better.

Your next job shouldn't be you hoping you might be allowed to work somewhere with miserable hours, gloomy people and survival pay. Your next job should be somewhere challenging in a way You are excited about, with people you respect and enjoy seeing!

60 days is a good amount of time - be thankful for that, and start exploring what your next employer can offer you. Take advantage of that length of time. Don't do this as a practice at getting the answers right, do this as a process of thinking about what you enjoy and are good at. You will discover new ideas as you have this conversation the third, fifth, and eight time I bet.

What would you find rewarding? The more you have this conversation with people, the more chance you have to become less shy about what you want, and more enthusiastic about your job search.

Best Wishes,

Sunlight

• Like 1

Oh, and don't do this 'in your head'. This exercise must be done out loud, with different people.

That is the part that will help you during the future interviews.

I'm sure you know your skill set and experience and education. You need very little practice or reviews about that. You need practice being enthusiastic and eager about your next job so that during interviews you are positive when talking about your future.

When I got fired I started my own business and stole my former employer's customers, including the largest public utility in California. Nothing personal, just business ;)

• Like 7
Last week, I was told I wasn't a good fit at my work place.

Any tips?

Take their stated reason to heart. They aren't saying you are a bad person or a bad employee. They said you just don't fit there. If you put a round peg in a square hole it will block some of the water from getting out but not all because it's a bad fit.

Saying things to a prospective employer about how you want a good fit, where you can be your best self & simultaneously help them improve their business.

• Like 1

Hi ! I think you need to let go of the last job and the disappointment there before you can be ready to take on a new job. That other one wasn't a fit for you whatever the reason. This is a new, different job and you have a new chance to try again with new people and a new situation. "The old has gone and the new has come." Be positive ! Be smiley! Be energetic! These are things that employers are looking for. Joyce Meyer who is a favorite teacher author of mine says "you don't have to be unafraid to do something you are afraid of. Do it afraid, but do it and don't let them know!" We don't have to fee confidant to act confidant. We just act confidant and then our emotions and attitude follow. Good luck ! Keep your chin up!

• Like 1

wait, I hope your getting a severance or the equivalent.

They fired you and want you to stay 60 days???

so your going to fill the void they created until they find your replacement?

Why should you grace them with this luxury? Unless you agreed to a payout after the 60, they can go F themselves and go collect.

No need to be nasty, but bridge is burned by them. Not sure I would be doing this favor.

Just sayin

• Like 4
  • Author

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I have my first phone interview scheduled for this week with one of the major hospitals in my area. It would be a major step up from my small family owned clinic.

Staggerlee, I see where you’re coming from and I thought about leaving the day I was terminated but I make good money. So right now, I’m going to keep taking their money and free health insurance but also knowing that if they piss me off, I can walk out the door at any time. There also isn’t a way to hide this clinic on my resume as anyone can look up my state medical license and see which clinics/hospitals I’m linked to and make a phone call. I don’t want my work bashing me if an interviewer calls them to ask about me. I’ve decided if I sign a contract with a new practice prior to my 60-day period ending, I’ll leave and have a nice break while I’m getting credentialed at my new place.

• Like 1

I was fired from my first job within the field I went to school for, after only maybe a week of working there. My manager gave absolutely no reason or explanation as to WHY and she did it over email. I still, until this day, don't know why I was fired. It was hard for me to get over, because I couldn't pinpoint a single thing I had done wrong- therefore I couldn't change anything in my next job. I didn't get over it until I landed a new job a few weeks later. My only advice to you would be to work on getting a new job. Whatever reason your employer gave you for the separation, take that into consideration in your next job. Don't let it get you down, just use the anger/frustration to drive you to kill your next interview!

• Like 1
Last week, I was told I wasn't a good fit at my work place and that my last day would be in 60 days. I wasn't given anymore details than that. I handled my termination talk very well in the office. I was professional and returned to carry out my duties as they fired me in the middle of a 12 hr shift. A few days after the firing, I became sick so I've only worked 2 days since then. I return to work tomorrow. However, today, the feelings of inadequacy and depression finally sank in. Don't get me wrong, I agree I wasn't a good fit at that clinic and am kind of relieved I can leave in 50 days as the hours were dragging me down and I kept getting sick (perks of working with sick patients and being over worked). But now my self esteem and confidence has taken a hit.

My question is, what's the best way to bounce back mentally so I can rock my interviews? I've been applying to jobs since the day after my termination and put the word out to my network that I'm in the market for employment. Im afraid I'll come across as depressed and timid during my interviews if I don't get right mentally first. Any tips?

Were you fired or laidoff? It almost sounds like you were laidoff, since you are continuing to work.

I was asked to come in on a weekend. The Friday before, I was given a layoff notice (1 month to pack it up). My awesome boss (who was also given a notice) let me decide if I wanted to come in or not. I came in anyways.

Are you in the US?

If they are giving you severance, part of that deal is you are expected to "work", to receive the severance.

Do your best to look like you're "working", but you and they know, that your priorities are to find another job?

So when you have time, update your resume and LinkedIn, do job searches, get contact information (people who you want to be you references), etc. DO NOT burn bridges.

How long have you worked there? You can possibly file for unemployment insurance. Your HR should give info on that, but research online also.

Sorry that you are going through this. It was my 2nd layoff and I was like whatever, next.

In answer to your question, sounds like you're doing pretty well. You're job searching/applying for jobs. Putting out the word.

Edited by Chris2016
  • Like 1
When I got fired I started my own business and stole my former employer's customers, including the largest public utility in California. Nothing personal, just business ;)

LOL. Did they fire you because you were a threat?

• Author
it was just a business decision. nothing personal

I hope this is the case. Its hard to tell with this clinic. I’m a provider but I found that all the medical assistants and administration staff bring their personal business to work and scheme to try to get each other fired daily. They are always trying to file complaints on each other. Only one doctor from what I can tell has been dragged into the medical assistant and administration drama. They seriously get in shouting matches and curse each other out in front of patients.

Were you fired or laidoff? It almost sounds like you were laidoff, since you are continuing to work.

I was asked to come in on a weekend. The Friday before, I was given a layoff notice (1 month to pack it up). My awesome boss (who was also given a notice) let me decide if I wanted to come in or not. I came in anyways.

Are you in the US?

If they are giving you severance, part of that deal is you are expected to "work", to receive the severance.

Do your best to look like you're "working", but you and they know, that your priorities are to find another job?

So when you have time, update your resume and LinkedIn, do job searches, get contact information (people who you want to be you references), etc. DO NOT burn bridges.

How long have you worked there? You can possibly file for unemployment insurance. Your HR should give info on that, but research online also.

Sorry that you are going through this. It was my 2nd layoff and I was like whatever, next.

In answer to your question, sounds like you're doing pretty well. You're job searching/applying for jobs. Putting out the word.

I’m not entirely sure. I found out yesterday that all the minority workers were told they weren’t a good fit and were asked to leave. There are only 3 of us total. They are bringing in 2 new grads to replace my position but I feel like they are just keeping me around for 60 days per contract and to give them time for the new employees to start. If I didn’t show up next week, it would put a strain on the company.

Yes I’m in the US. A severance package wasn’t mentioned. I was handed a letter after my “not a good fit” meeting and told my benefits would end on my last day at work in December and to make appropriate arrangements.

I agree, I have shown up to work. I still keep to myself and do my job. I made it clear that I may have to miss some work for interviews which they said they would accommodate but we’ll see if that happens.

I’ve been there 3 months. I think the short time may hurt me when looking for jobs because I may appear like a job hopper. I’m not sure if I qualify for any unemployment benefits since I work PRN at another clinic an hour away. However, I don’t receive any benefits there.

Thanks for the advice!

LOL. Did they fire you because you were a threat?

They couldn't make the profit numbers go so got rid of their machinist. I even, initially, ran jobs through them (did the work and billed them and they billed the customers at a markup) and put them on net 30 and, when they didn't pay me, I cut them out. Poof, done. Scorched earth.

That was the era, decades ago, when I learned how little I respected humans. That job stuff was just part of it. That was the only job I was ever fired from and it was the last. Anyone in business knows customers fire vendors all the time but that's normal stuff. It's a bloody world out there. Part of bouncing back is accepting that and being willing to let some blood oneself. People just aren't that important.

Think about that job thing. The game of slavery to the machine for life. Look what they make you give. All because of the god of money and the game. The smart ones kneel to the god, pay their deference and play the game and win some modicum of freedom before they die.

Oh, right, bouncing back after being fired ;)

UpwardForward

I got fired a few times when I was young.

Amazing thing was: Both times I was able to land extremely good jobs immediately afterward. Above and beyond expectations and expertise.

• Like 3
  • Author
I got fired a few times when I was young.

Amazing thing was: Both times I was able to land extremely good jobs immediately afterward. Above and beyond expectations and expertise.

That's awesome! I'm hoping to do the same! I had another phone interview yesterday with a great company that sends me away for a month to get trained in a very specific skill set. The job trains better, pays better, I learn a very marketable skill set, has a better work life balance and I make my own hours Mon-Fri. Only downside would be the long commute due to my assigned nursing home territory. However, even with the commute I'd still get home earlier than I do now since I currently work 12+hour shifts 8-8 and this job supposedly would have me finished with work by 3-4pm Mon-Friday

I think it has happened to a lot of people, especially if you work for an organisation where they have fallen into a kind of pattern of behaviour. It does not sound like there is a nice amosphere at your workplace. Do people look happy? If not, that is a red flag. I was fired from one job and when I first went there, very few of the staff smiled. There was a gloomy atmosphere. I should have paid attention to that. It turned out they had a terrible staff turnaround rate, regularly took on staff supposedly 'permanently' to do a job that would last around 3 months and then let them go just before they had a legal duty to retain them.

A close family member of mine got fired. She felt she was doing a good job and trying to fulfill the brief she had been given. They kept challenging everything she did and made her miserable. Eventually they fired her. She was really down and hurt. She then applied for another job and was rapidly promoted. She has moved on now as she relocated to a better place but while in that job she had risen to deputy area manager. Just shows how the same person can be perceived entirely differently depending on the company's attitudes.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their advice. I had 4 more interviews yesterday and felt very confident in each. I even had one doctor call me for a job that I didn't even apply for, so my self marketing and networking are bringing in opportunities. I'm confident that I'll have a contract signed in December.

Today, I woke up in peace and at ease knowing that I'll soon be in an office with a better fit and work life balance.

Thank you all for your help and sharing your experiences.

• Like 2