This job sucks and I want out

[backstory]

My boss is a fool and this job uses probably only 1/10th of the skills I have and went to graduate school for, and doesn't pay very well either. But it's taking me a little longer than I thought it would to find another job after I finished my masters. I would love to quit, tell my boss this job sucks and I want out, but I've got a mortgage to pay. Has anyone ever been in this awful position? How can I stay patient with this situation???

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator
Add link to backstory

Does this mean you are willing to go on interviews again? that is your way out but you said you needed to take a break because the interviewing process was wearing you down.

So which do you hate more: Interviewing or your Boss / job?

• Author
Does this mean you are willing to go on interviews again? that is your way out but you said you needed to take a break because the interviewing process was wearing you down.

So which do you hate more: Interviewing or your Boss / job?

Compared to working here, interviewing doesn't seem so bad. I've actually picked up a book about interviewing just so I can tell these hr folks the pre-packaged answers they want to hear. I wish there was a better process for candidate selection though.

• Like 1

I don't know what you do -- and I'm not asking -- but have you ever considered going the entrepreneurial route -- opening your own business & being your own boss? Most professionals can turn what they do into a consulting gig.

• Author
I don't know what you do -- and I'm not asking -- but have you ever considered going the entrepreneurial route -- opening your own business & being your own boss? Most professionals can turn what they do into a consulting gig.

I've thought about it but I feel like working for myself is kind of a pie in the sky aspiration.

Go to the library & read some books about being self employed. I like Birthing the Elephant; Who Moved My Cheese & the E-Myth Revisited.

Also make an appointment to go talk to a counselor at the local Small Business Development Center (SBDC) near you. It's a division of the SBA but they offer counseling about opening your own business. Also check out another counseling group called SCORE which also provides free resources to budding entrepreneurs. I never thought I would own my own business either but I have been self employed for 12 years now.

The best part of a job is the day you quit. I have had a lot of jobs and when I used to wake up thinking that I dreaded the day ahead of me, I did quit. Twice it involved letting my boss know what I thought of him by slamming him into a wall or overturning his desk.

You do not need a Master's to find a good job. I am a college dropout who was able to afford my first new all brick house when I was 21 and making twice of what my dad was making by 25. At 30 I was considered one of the top two in my professional world wide, co-authored a book and was appointed as an alternate U.N. Advisor to the 80 year old one who could not travel much anymore. My income is in the top 5% of the country.

I am married to a woman who was disabled for two years and had a mortgage, mountain of medical bills and car payments too. Yet I still quit my job but did it the smart way. The best skill you can have is to sell yourself. I got a job offer from every company I interviewed with even though the job said a college degree was a requirement. I always went to the top of the company, not the HR guy dealing with 3,000 applicants with most better qualified than me, on paper that is. Once I met a CEO at his train station at 6am and talked to him and he set up a lunch with me to hear my ideas of improving areas of his company. He hired me. I joined organizations and networked. I joined committees and volunteered to give speeches. Once spent an entire year co-authoring a 3 volume reference book, the first of its kind in my industry. I got paid a whooping $3.000 for my efforts. However, with my name on that book I had companies chasing me to go work for them.

I moved 7 times to take a new job in another State. I did whatever it was that I needed to do to find a job that I liked. I even worked 3 jobs at one time just so I did not have to work for a boss who I hated so much that I slammed him against a wall for personally insulting me. Another boss hot his desk turned upside down. Some bosses think that they can use you for their personal tasks. Not this guy.

The first thing I ever did when I got a new job was to update my resume and send it out again. I have doubled my salary by changing jobs 3 times on one year. If I quit my job with no other job offers I consulted and usually made more than I used to. Would I be right if I thought you have not been aggressively pursuing a new job? I have employees working for me in the same position because they fear job interviews or lack confidence in themselves. They are afraid that they will fail in a new job.

I am one aggressive SOB and refuse to stay at a job that I do not like. I always found work and most times for higher pay. I bought my first new house at 21 while all of my friends were in college building up debt. They all ended up working for me.

• Like 2