School, Work, a messy life.

Well, I'm 30 years old and in school for social work. I really enjoy the work but I am beginning to be realistic about it and wonder why I went into this field of work when it doesn't appear to be financially worth it. I have 1 year left before I graduate with my masters.

I just received a letter from an electrical union. They make 100k in 5 years. The problem is I have just always been slipping and sliding through life. Never had my feet on the ground in a stable position for too long. That's the reason I went back to school.

What I am asking for is some guidance, suggestions, I live in NY. and It is expensive here. I have had a troubled past and almost dropped out of high school. I have a supportive family but they never give me any direction or suggestions.

Thank you for reading. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

You don't have to have it all figured out at the beginning... or the middle, or the end. Building a career is an evolutionary process with many unexpected twists and turns along the way. Do what you love, and the money will come.

• Like 1

Where is your passion?

If you go the money route & become an electrician, you could potentially feed your soul by doing volunteer charity work. You will never get rich in social work.

You could also be an electrician now & fall back on the social work when you retire or heaven forbid, get injured.

• Like 4

Social work is typically not a financially rewarding profession. People seem to enter it ... and enjoy it ... for other reasons. It's possible to earn $100K in social work, but it would probably require a doctorate, teaching at a university or owning a practice of some sort related to social work.

Obviously, the quicker and more assured route to that level of income is to become an electrician.

However, I agree with d0nnivain, you should do what you're passionate about. You'll be much more likely to have a long, stable, and fulfilling career when you do something you love.

If that is social work, find a way to make the money you need. That may take more hustle and creativity than simply finding a social work job, but if you're passionate you can make it happen.

• Like 2

The other option would be to do social work as your FT job but do "odd jobs" on the weekend as an electrician for extra money. A skilled trade is always in demand.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it. Well, I only have a year left for my masters in Social Work so I'll at least finish this degree and see where it takes me. Being a male in the field seems to give me the upper hand when it comes to promotions. I found out 95% of Social work is dominated by females but 95% of the management positions are male.

Thank you for reassuring me that I do not need to have it all figured out. Cause I am really not sure what I want and where it will take me. I think if i had a wife and kids i would feel more obligated to find a secure job that could support us but that is not the case. So for now.....I'll just keep trudging through school and see what comes of it after.

Thank you all! I really do appreciate it.