Look around you....what do you see?

What is your personal office/space like?

I saw RP's thread and I about blabbed away on hers, but realized it might be off-topic. So I started my own thread about what our offices are like. We spend so much time here, they are like second homes to some!

Mine? They call it tha' cave. Dark and warm.

I have my own office and it's about 15 X 20, so I have plenty of room. Everyone that I work with knows that I don't like to be bothered, so they don't bother me unless they have to - or unless they wanna blab some of the latest gossip.

My office is warm and dim. My vents are closed during the summer - I hate the cold air. I have a space heater within arms reach, with a remote control. :p It's almost always on. And the noise from it running is soothing. Makes me not be able to hear my surroundings.

I keep my office windows (2) closed off tightly by blinds, allowing minimal light in. I use no ceiling lighting and squint if co-workers (jokingly) cut them on. When it rains (& gets dark outside), I have a hard time seeing. I NEVER cut on the overhead lights -- too stark or something.

My desk is forever huge. It's got PLENTY of room. It's in an 'L' shape. I keep it very tidy. Sets the mood.

I have a I have a butterfly lamp on my desk (it spins softly when heat is generated from the bulb) and a floor lamp. I have a tie-dyed switch plate, beautiful butterfly carcasses in glass and my own photography surrounds me. I have pictures of my family and loved ones. I have a large picture of my favorite singer (a photograph my husband took) and an autographed drumstick of his sitting on top of it. They call it the shrine. I have a psychadelic lamp that I cut on when I'm having a good day. That thing hasn't been on in a while....lol.

I have a backwards clock that catches the eye. Even the second hands tick backwards. I can read it better than a normal clock. I've had it for years.

I have a shrimp ecosphere for a conversation piece (and a paperweight). I have three bamboo plants. I have a floor-standing gumball machine filled with stale reeses pieces. My frog (an aquababy ecosystem) died a few months back. He sat on my desk too in a cube. He was 5 years old.

I have a table in my office that's a catch-all for drug rep food and snacks. It's always got food on it. I mostly ignore it. And it pisses me off when patients see it and ask if they can have some food. :rolleyes:

I hate it when patients come into my office. I feel like they're in my personal space. And I'm a germaphobe, so I can't help it...I get out the Lysol when they leave.

People tell me that my office relaxes them and totally has the right mood going on.

So what about yours?!

FolderWife

Gosh, you're office sounds like my kind of place :D

I have seniority *sp?* at my place of business, so I got to pick my office, and I got the best one :D There is a balcony outside my office, and looking out my door, I can see the showroom (work at a dealership) and outside. The balcony goes all around the upstairs, so I can stand right outside my office, and drop files to the co workers down below :lmao:

Inside, I have the best desk in the whole building. It's L shaped. I have it parked right in the middle of my 15x13 (if I remember correctly) office. I have a comfy leather loveseat for my guests, two big leafy plants in opposite corners of the office. I have two peices of art on the left wall, one on top of the other, two on the right wall, side by side, and one big one on the back wall.

And I have a mini heater that runs non stop through the winter and the summer :rolleyes:

I sit in a hallway. I'm constantly bitching at people that stop at my desk to talk. I'm constantly bitching at the receptionist for talking all GD day. I'm constantly bitching at the woman that sits behind me for talking too loud on her phone. I'm constantly bitching that my desk is not the printer sorting table and to keep the papers off my desk.

I have pictures of my niece all over my wall and I'm constantly telling people - she's not my kid. Typical university - use every space available for a desk, even if it's a hallway! :mad:

• Author
Originally posted by Monday

And I have a mini heater that runs non stop through the winter and the summer

Lmao....my miniheater runs in the summer too!!! OMG....we're soulmates....lmao.

Hey your office sounds nice! Can the men see up your skirt on the catwalk?! :p

I forgot...I do have to leather coolio chairs for my patients to sit and bitch at me in. They all hate me!

• Author
Originally posted by Pocky

I sit in a hallway.

HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU PULL OFF LS WHEN YOU'RE IN A FRICKIN HALLWAY?!?!

FolderWife

:lmao: Yeah...how do you get on here in the hall?

And yes...if I stand too close to the railing, the guys (if standing directly beneath me) can see clear up my skirt :laugh:

I work in a clinic.. it's a nice clinic since it just opened.

There are 3 Opertories, and a Lab.. The Doc has his own private office and I really wish he'd use it more often LOL crap!

Nice reception room.. leather chairs..

AND Where I am when there aren't patients to be seen or Lab work is at the front in a big ass room full of office crap and a single computer... eh it's okay.

IhavenoFREAKINclue

Lets see........To my left I have a Brad Pitt Calander....I cut out his head from February and put it on my computer screen so he can watch me whilst I work!

I have a humongous kind of circle desk to do all my work on so there is a part of it that has a book case :confused: above it with I guess you can say a wall connecting the cabinets to the desk...and all over that "wall" i have pictures of me, my friends having a good time and partying.....lovely collage!

I have about 6 old coffee cups chillin on my desk.......milk skin and all!

Papers and doodles everywhere! Desk Calenders are not good when someone likes to draw and doodle while on the phone. I have cow pen that laughs when you squeeze it...Anythime i need a pic-me-up......just press his tummy....

Picture frame with my dad's obit and his Navy pic right next to my computer so I can see him all day!

Rulers, pen caps, pads, papers with lunch orders, wires, printers, crap crap crap crap...... :rolleyes:

Good thread Tiki!

• Author

So here's the question....will your next job HAVE to have internet access so that you can surf LS?!? :laugh:

Originally posted by tiki

HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU PULL OFF LS WHEN YOU'RE IN A FRICKIN HALLWAY?!?!

Heh - I have the privacy guard on my computer and it's turned at an angle so there is only one place behind my desk that you can see what I'm doing. No one really comes back there because that's another thing I constantly bitch about. GTFO from behind my desk!

HokeyReligions

I have an antique desk (L-shaped) with lots of drawer space. My PC sits right in the middle (as opposed to a corner) because it's easier for me to see it.

I have a fan that runs non-stop (winter and summer) because I'm always so warm, and I have one of those old brass and green-glass desk lamps with a pull chain (I have a cool bulb in it though so it doesn't generate more heat)

The window blinds stay closed because of the glare and the heat, besides they are behind me and I don't often look out of the window. Our office is an open-plan -- there are only a couple of actual offices with walls and doors. The rest of us are in cubicles, and after having my own office for a long time in previous jobs, this took some getting used to. I am in charge of relocation and we will be moving to larger offices soon where I will once again have my own office. (If I stay here)

I have my diplomas and certificates framed and on my wall (I'm in a corner so I have two real walls and one cubicle wall). I have no other personal items here, except for a bottle of hand lotion and a lint-brush.

Oh, and my business card holder which is made of pewter and looks like a line of dogs sitting at attention.

• Author
Originally posted by HokeyReligions

my business card holder which is made of pewter and looks like a line of dogs sitting at attention.

My business card holder is Digger the dematophyte (the ugly Lamisil/toenail ****er).

Also....my computer backs to the door/entrance. That allows me more lee~way.

I just started an office job, so the room is pretty bare. I suppose I'm lucky, though, to have such a large room all to myself. I couldn't guess the measurements, but what is most important is that I find it to be spacious. The main features, I suppose, are two windows, a very organized computer desk, and a couch. Honestly, I don't know why I have a couch in there; all I do is follow up on project details, and help my employer respond to e-mails from various clients. The temperature can be controlled directly from my office. The computer work keeps me busy enough that I am not considering doing any decorating.

I still work part time at the old liquor store, but since that is not an office I can only describe it as a very up-scale, clean and bright store.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

I have a square office, it's really ugly. boring stuff on the walls, calendars, maps, a bookcase with my computer books and manuals and some cupboards that have old stuff that should be thrown out. My shredding pile covers the cold air vent. I get all the smells from the kitchen somehow. Oh and there's no outside window. That was partly my fault in designing the office expansion not knowing this would be my office someday.

I'm very lucky haha to have this office - I had to raise a stink to get it, told them I needed quiet and privacy for deep thought process (yeah right)! The rest of the dept is in cubes.

Most of the time I work out of my house. When I first started I had to sit in my office and close the door and concentrate on working (talk about ADD). Now I can sit anywhere in the house (you gotta love wireless), my favorite spot is the kitchen table.

Several days a month I go into the office and find a desk to squat at when I'm not making the rounds to see my peeps. I live out of my briefcase.

My office is beautiful even though you would think you are walking into a pediatrician's office instead of a legal office!!! :p I have an office with a huge window that looks out to a main street so I can see all the skyscrapers. There is lots of pink in my office. I also have lots and lots of pictures of my family all over the whole office. I have 3 desks. One of the has the computer and the printer with 2 frames and a raggedy ann doll and a minnie mouse figurine. Then I have the desk were I have all my files and lots and lots of pictures. I also have a clock and my dictionaries and english-spanish book. I have a big flowerish/colorful box were I put lots of crap in That one is pretty messy and colorful :p Then I have the desk were I sit. I am lucky if I can find that one under all the paperwork and newspaper clippings and so on. There are two BIG chairs in front of that were I put a BIG candy jar in between. You better bet I also have pictures on that desk as well :p I have colorful post it notes and colorful paper-clips. The attorney always makes fun of me and says that when he walks into my office he feels like he is walking into a little kids playground or the circus :p Hey but our clients love my office, it's very inviting. Better than most of the other offices here which are just brown and beige full of ordinary files. Even my files are all colorful! I love it and I love the fact that the attorney lets me do whatever I want with it. I have a picture hanging on the wall of my family and another one of the whole law office. Plus nothing beats my view!!! The window leads out to the patio and you can see all of the downtown buildings even though I am only on the 2nd floor. It's beautiful!!!

• Author

Sounds beautiful!

Originally posted by ~Naive~

I forgot to mention there are beanie nears all over the place :p

Please. Fix. Your. Nail. !!!

Originally posted by tiki

Sounds beautiful!

Please. Fix. Your. Nail. !!!

Okay okay, I am getting ready to take them off!!!! :p

me and Sue (the other reporter who work for a church newspaper) share a large rectangular opposite. We sit catty-corner to each other (diagonally) and have a pair of bookcases dead center of the room to create office space.

we're both able to see the door from our prospective corners, though I must confess I put up a HUGE mirror on the one wall facing the doorway because I got tired of people wandering in too quietly, tapping my shoulder and saying, "Hey, Jo, do you/what about/blah blah blah" and scaring the crap out of me!

we have plants scattered around the office, reference books and part of an old sectional sofa under the windows where her kids sit to do homework. My side is much messier than hers, though, even though she's got the same amount of clutter on her desk: I'm sloppy, plain and simple. People don't seem to mind, though: They get a kick from looking for new stuff on our bulletin boards!

I've got various and sundry toys on my desk, a credenza with my stash of pretzels, chocolate (if I'm lucky) and a collection of glass canning jars I'm too chicken to take home because I don't want to hear DH yell about my sick need to collect more unnecessary crap!

I also have a couple of pieces of furniture stashed there, stuff there's no room for in our apartment, and that's piled with two boxes overflowing with stuff that needs to be filed away in our morgue (not my favorite part of the job, lol). Under that table is a collection of empty boxes since I'm always needing them to pack something to take to storage. It's so bad that the janitor just brings them straight back to my office, and my coworkers come over to borrow them because I'm pretty much box central.

our offices are way in the back of the chancery, across from the chapel, so we don't get a whole lot of traffic -- people are either there for a purpose or incredibly lost when they go back there. So, it's not a problem to visit the 'Shack ... boss is usually looking up stuff on cooking sites or doing puzzles, and Sue's doing her own thing. Thank God our paper only goes to press every first and third week of the month, otherwise I'd have a hell of a time surfing the net!

I have cow pen that laughs when you squeeze it

ooh! where'd you find it? My sister collects cows, and I'm always on the lookout for the more unusual ones I can get my hands on!

Illusion24

I work with my friend and my mother...The things we come up with sometimes are crazy but they call my office..

The Cage and I'm Tweetie Bird..Go figure! :p

Mines a lot like Tiki's. It's 30' x 20'. I'm the oldest person in the firm, so I have traditional ole peeps office furniture. I have the shiney cherry wood desk that looks much like Pres. Bush's. I have metal 3D puzzles and hangings that I cut out with lasers all over along with some projects I milled out on various CNC machines. I have an antique thermometer that's my center piece so to speak. I of course have Mrs. Moose all over which normally gets conversations going.

One whole side of the office is glass with a glass door that I can shut and lock people out whenever I don't feel like dealing with anyone, or if I know I'm calling someone to scream at em'. Whenever I do that, the engineers will print out, "Please don't feed the Moose", and tape it to the door. They try very hard to keep me in a good mood.

I have the second best office of the building. Lil' Bro has a raised ceiling in his with a moon roof, and leather all over. His theme is B/W and he's done well with it. But mine has it's perks, surround sound, mini fridge, and the TV is viewable from my office chair.

I love it here! HEHE!!

I just started working from home my last office was awasome I miss it very much now some Bimbo has it and I have moved mine into my dam bedroom : :( I am directly infront of my bed witch means I sleep alot because I don't have to go far to "go to work" I have Picasso framed Prints all over my bedroom of naked ladies and a pile of laundry that never moves from the side of my desk. However I live on the water and my bedroom has a balcony that overlooks the Gulf of Mexico witch is really nice and has a wonderful breeze.... this makes me want to sleep more :laugh: so I end up working later than planned. Although I love being on the water and I am able to go outside and see water for miles and miles that will all end in 3 days or so :( Schoool is out so my days at work will be filled with sounds of screaming children, seinor citizens screaming to the spouces, dogs barking and seagulls eating all the torist's picnic foods then comming to my window and taking a huge crap on it :sick: .... I can't wait to get back to my office

Well... I happen to be the Recipionist/Customer Service Rep/ISP Tech Support Operator. So, my desk is on the ground floor. So, everyone see's me when they come in. So, I don't have any pictures up or anything because I only work at night here. I wish I had office space like Naive. That would be great.