Job Openings and Acquaintances

So, there are some open positions in my department, and pretty much all of my friends and acquaintances know that I hire from time to time. Now there is this one contractor, who has never worked directly for me, who seems to look for a job on a regular basis. He is not a bad guy, but he doesn't work well with (and for) women, and he likes to exaggerate. In other words, I cannot recommend him or hire him in good conscience. I previously gave him career advice which he ignored.

As a contractor he is now whining to me over internal messenger, and being on the company systems, I cannot block him. I simply do my best to ignore him. I don't want to report him, either. He would certainly get canned, and I don't want that. I'm just annoyed at this point.

Anybody else been in a similar situation?

I think you can approach it two ways. You can talk to him and tell him you don't believe he'll be good for this particular job. Or you can talk to the hiring board that he'd like to be considered, but you can't recommend him for the job because of x, y, and z.

• Like 1
  • Author

The problem kind of resolved itself, as an internal candidate showed up. I talked to him before, and unfortunately he does not take coaching well. This includes his resume, which is more or less this kiss of death for his job applications. I think I simply would have forwarded it without a recommendation.

I wish him luck, but I can only do so much.