Tell employer about criminal record?

Redguitar35

I've discovered that a new employee who was recently hired on has a criminal record. One was for drunk driving and another for property damage and resisting arrest in a separate incident. I knew I recognized him from somewhere and sure enough it was from news reports when the incident occurred a few years ago. I wonder if my current employer knows this or if it came up in the selection process, especially since he's being paid considerably more than I am.

Do you think I should bring this to my employers attention? We are a taxpayer funded organization, so if he had any future slipups it would definitely be a public source of embarrassment. Then again, I'm actively looking for other jobs because these jerks aren't paying me enough, so what do I care?

GorillaTheater

If your employer cared, they'd run a criminal history. None of the offenses are likely to have a bearing on his job, unless his duties include driving, for instance.

I'd leave it alone and hope this guy has his act together now.

• Like 4

Why would you do that, that to me seems mean spirited...

You don't know the outcomes of those cases and what punishments he received.. if he has paid his fines and done his punishments why hold that against him.

You also don't know if he disclosed it on his job application...

IMO if you tell you become worse than he is, you would be creating unneeded drama at work and he hasn't created any.

With google today employers put everybody's name in the search engine with the word arrest or mugshot.

Just like they look at their FB accounts and social media as well so I'm sure they did some due diligence...

I say let the employer accept responsibility for who they hired... oh and stop googling your coworkers names :laugh:

• Like 6
Simple Logic
I've discovered that a new employee who was recently hired on has a criminal record. One was for drunk driving and another for property damage and resisting arrest in a separate incident. I knew I recognized him from somewhere and sure enough it was from news reports when the incident occurred a few years ago. I wonder if my current employer knows this or if it came up in the selection process, especially since he's being paid considerably more than I am.

Do you think I should bring this to my employers attention? We are a taxpayer funded organization, so if he had any future slipups it would definitely be a public source of embarrassment. Then again, I'm actively looking for other jobs because these jerks aren't paying me enough, so what do I care?

Drunk driving, property damage and resisting arrest make the news in your community or are you internet investigating your co-workers?

• Like 1
  • Author
Redguitar35

I was under the impression that people with criminal records (especially multiple incidents in which they've pled guilty) should be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to hiring, but obviously I'm not the one making decisions at this organization. I'll leave it alone and hope it doesn't blow up in their face. I do feel sorry for the people who applied for his job and have no criminal convictions, clean records and still didn't get the job. That's bs, imo.

Edited by Redguitar35
GorillaTheater
I was under the impression that people with criminal records (especially multiple incidents in which they've pled guilty) should be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to hiring, but obviously I'm not the one making decisions at this organization. I'll leave it alone and hope it doesn't blow up in their face. I do feel sorry for the people who applied for his job and have no criminal convictions, clean records and still didn't get the job.

Sounds like sour grapes on your part.

We hire people who have criminal records. Sometimes they're simply the most qualified for the job. We take various factors into account: age when the offense occurred (yes, there is a pass for being a dumbass kid), how old the offense is, seriousness of the offense, whether or not there's any relationship between the offense and the job duties (DUI's and a driving job aren't a good mix), and potential PR fallout (can we justify our decision if this hits the papers?).

A criminal record shouldn't necessarily be a death sentence in the job market. People screw up. Sometimes they get caught. The question becomes whether they learned anything from it.

• Like 7

Having a record isn't the problem. Lying about it on your job app is the kiss of death.

On the theory that they "always shoot the messenger" I wouldn't say anything.

If you are adamant about spilling the beans, mention it at your exit interview but not before.

• Like 1
  • Author
Redguitar35
Having a record isn't the problem. Lying about it on your job app is the kiss of death.

On the theory that they "always shoot the messenger" I wouldn't say anything.

If you are adamant about spilling the beans, mention it at your exit interview but not before.

Yeah, like I said we're a publicly funded agency, so I find it very surprising that they would knowingly hire a two time criminal with a violent history. He had to have lied on his application.

Add it to the list of things that have caused me to lose confidence in this organization. I want out of there.

• Like 1

DWI is a traffic offense, not a crime in most places.

Property damage is usually a low level offense, usually disorderly persons, again not a felony.

A person can be charged with resisting arrest if they don't move their hands behind their back as fast as some overly zealous officer wants them to. It's not necessarily the person struggling & disrespecting law enforcement.

Depending on the state those offenses may not have been classified as "crimes". They would not be considered crimes where I live. Thus, somebody could honestly answer no if asked if they have ever been convicted of a crime. Moreover, you don't know whether your employer knows or not.

I agree with you that this is one more reason you need to get out. But speaking up here doesn't help you & could hurt you.

• Like 2

It's none of your business.

Businesses that care about stuff like that do background checks. Some businesses take part in programs to help rehabilitate people who had past offenses. The HR person could know and have another reason for hiring him. Who knows?

You weren't in the interview process. You're being a busybody and should mind your own business.

• Like 3
  • Author
Redguitar35
DWI is a traffic offense, not a crime in most places.

Property damage is usually a low level offense, usually disorderly persons, again not a felony.

A person can be charged with resisting arrest if they don't move their hands behind their back as fast as some overly zealous officer wants them to. It's not necessarily the person struggling & disrespecting law enforcement.

This guy kicked through a police car window when they tried to bring him in, so there you have it.

• Like 1

Alright that is truly resisting arrest. Very dramatic.

You still have to assume the employer knows.

• Like 1
I was under the impression that people with criminal records (especially multiple incidents in which they've pled guilty) should be at the bottom of the pile when it comes to hiring, but obviously I'm not the one making decisions at this organization. I'll leave it alone and hope it doesn't blow up in their face. I do feel sorry for the people who applied for his job and have no criminal convictions, clean records and still didn't get the job. That's bs, imo.

Why should they be at the bottom of the pile? Maybe some people would put unqualified people at the bottom, or maybe entitled brats should go at the bottom.

• Like 1
Why should they be at the bottom of the pile? Maybe some people would put unqualified people at the bottom, or maybe entitled brats should go at the bottom.

Because that's where most people think they should be. Then they can't figure out why people with criminal records or who have served time have high recidivism rates. In large part because people don't want to hire them and they can't find gainful employment.

If the guy's not causing any problems at work, I'd leave it alone and worry about yourself. Honestly why do you even care?

• Like 2

Did you apply internally for the higher paid role he was recruited for?

It seems odd that this would bother you so much, you don't 'appear' to care about the company as you called your employers jerks but then you say you think they should know for the reputation of the company, It doesn't add up.

Is this just because you don't think they pay you enough and you know he is paid more than you (both of which you posted)?

• Like 2

It depends on how long ago these alleged crimes happened... They might be spent convictions.

It also depends on the nature of his role in your company.

People do lie on job applications. I work in HR and we recently found out that an employee forged a death certificate... So yes... We'd want to know about.

Send the details to HR with the evidence and they'll look into it. You can do so anonymously. Any decent organisation would want to know.

• Author
Redguitar35
Did you apply internally for the higher paid role he was recruited for?

It seems odd that this would bother you so much, you don't 'appear' to care about the company as you called your employers jerks but then you say you think they should know for the reputation of the company, It doesn't add up.

Is this just because you don't think they pay you enough and you know he is paid more than you (both of which you posted)?

No, I had no interest in applying for his job. I do think it's bizarre that my employer would rather pay for bad sandwiches and hire someone with two criminal convictions than pay me a reasonable wage, but that's their choice. I'm making mine by aggressively applying for other jobs. Maybe I'll see about calling his record to their attention on my way out the door.

Edited by Redguitar35

Honestly, your attitude makes me question YOUR character more than his. This is not your business. You are not human resources. Mind your own business. And don't gossip about it to my coworkers.

• Like 2
No, I had no interest in applying for his job. I do think it's bizarre that my employer would rather pay for bad sandwiches and hire someone with two criminal convictions than pay me a reasonable wage, but that's their choice. I'm making mine by aggressively applying for other jobs. Maybe I'll see about calling his record to their attention on my way out the door.

Annnnnd there we go. You're just bitter.

Stay out of it

• Like 2

Yeah, I think people who seek to materially damage the lives and reputations of others should experience a special kind of demise ;)

• Like 1
Yeah, I think people who seek to materially damage the lives and reputations of others should experience a special kind of demise ;)

Amen! I think I'm gonna quote you on that.

OP, there may be more to this story or to this person's life than you know.

That said, I know what it's like to be unhappy at a job. I hope you can find something that makes you happier.

Wow. First you decline a job offer because you cannot bear to have to work with someone who was chosen for the better job instead of you, now you're trying to get your colleague fired because he earns more than you?

You clearly have major issues with jealousy and sour grapes, and the sooner you deal with those, the better it will be for you. It oozes out of your every pore! I would suggest playing some games or sports to learn to deal with losing with better sportsmanship.

Regarding your colleague, chances are your HR department already knows. Remember, if you can Google someone, they can, too (and it's literally their job to do so). It would reflect more poorly on you than on him if you tried that. If he was convicted of something like raping a child, then it might be worth bringing it up just in case, but a DUI, damage to property and resisting arrest? Nah. Not unless he was hired as a cab driver or something.

Would you still feel the need to tell HR if he wasn't making more than you? There's your answer.

Edited by Elswyth
  • Like 2
  • Author
Redguitar35
Wow. First you decline a job offer because you cannot bear to have to work with someone who was chosen for the better job instead of you, now you're trying to get your colleague fired because he earns more than you?

If I felt I was the best person for the job, why would I consider working under the person that beat me out for it? Their offer was totally disrespectful and insulting.

Would you still feel the need to tell HR if he wasn't making more than you? There's your answer.

Yes, I would. I'm just saying the fact that they've hired him on for better pay, possibly without thoroughly vetting him, give me all the more reason to want out of there. I'm working on it.