How do you deal with millenials?

Hi all:

I'm a software developer in my mid-50's looking to move into management. In my last couple of interviews I've been asked how would I deal with millenial coders under my supervision. My answer is that I get along well with them because we've worked together at the same level for the past few years and I feel I have earned their trust and respect.

I reckon that employers that ask that question are clueless. Granted, these are software developers with talent, but I don't see them too different from other millenials working in other industries.

Can anybody suggest answers to the question? Am I the clueless one?

Thanks,

I'm a mid 50's employer. Old school very hard working and self made. I can tell you I'm clueless how to effectively manage such a self entitled "me" generation and make a profit. I've recently been through attempting to restaff some positions and shake my head at the state of where things have gotten.

• Like 3
  • Author
I'm a mid 50's employer. Old school very hard working and self made. I can tell you I'm clueless how to effectively manage such a self entitled "me" generation and make a profit. I've recently been through attempting to restaff some positions and shake my head at the state of where things have gotten.

Thanks for your reply. If I may ask, if you were looking for a supervisor to such millenial staff and asked the same question, what would be an acceptable/credible answer? Or would you look for an "old millenial" (30-37 y/o) to fill the position?

ChatroomHero

In my experience I feel in management to be successful you have to cater to employees strengths and not expose their weaknesses.

Millennials I have worked with are in my opinion are overly sensitive in many cases and get flustered, openly frustrated and sometimes down on their abilities fairly quickly. Less of an, "I'll hammer away at this until I get through it and collapse at the end" and more of a, "I hit a wall and collapse attitude". I am not trying to generalize, it's just my experience managing millennials on projects.

My answer would be somewhere along the lines of; to effectively manage a team, you have to exploit the strengths of each individual and lessen the impact of their weaknesses. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses that you have to manage, and if one particular age group has a certain set of weaknesses it is no different than managing say, an older age group that has a different set of common weaknesses.

I'd probably drop an analogy like if I managed a baseball team and have an older guy that hits .350 but is slow as the day is long, he wouldn't be the ideal leadoff hitter. A guy hitting .200 but runs like the wind might be more valuable as the leadoff allowing him to showcase his speed in a way that helps the team best, despite his lower batting average.

• Like 1
  • Author
In my experience I feel in management to be successful you have to cater to employees strengths and not expose their weaknesses.

I agree but instead of expose I would offer to help them overcome their weaknesses, shall they ask for it.

My answer would be somewhere along the lines of; to effectively manage a team, you have to exploit the strengths of each individual and lessen the impact of their weaknesses. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses that you have to manage, and if one particular age group has a certain set of weaknesses it is no different than managing say, an older age group that has a different set of common weaknesses.

That's a great answer, thank you!

Regards,

Edited by JFReyes

How old is the person interviewing you?

It's a rough question and IMO even leans a little bit towards age discrimination, which I've heard is an issue among software developers (some of the older devs feel like they're being negatively discriminated against). I doubt you would have been asked the same question if you were a millennial yourself. It's like a woman being asked how she'd deal with male colleagues - I don't think it's an appropriate question.

But that being said, I think your answer was perfect.

A large % of the most profitable companies in the world are tech companies, whose main workforce consists primarily of millennials. I doubt the issue lies with the millennials. ;)

• Like 3
Hi all:

I'm a software developer in my mid-50's looking to move into management. In my last couple of interviews I've been asked how would I deal with millenial coders under my supervision. My answer is that I get along well with them because we've worked together at the same level for the past few years and I feel I have earned their trust and respect.

I reckon that employers that ask that question are clueless. Granted, these are software developers with talent, but I don't see them too different from other millenials working in other industries.

Can anybody suggest answers to the question? Am I the clueless one?

Thanks,

Your not seeing the picture here. They want to know what you would do and how you would handle it with other coders. I am software developer as well as with other things I do. I learn and grow in the information technology world for many years I care not to say how many! LOL You just say next time if they ask that question, you can deal with anything that arises in any situations with confidence. You need to be a leader you also need to understand what the coder is going through, the pressure and issues they face. Not just about you. Do not answer like the question is only about you. This is a broad question they're trying to figure out how you think and what you would do in certain situations when it come to employees. You can't think in the box you have to think out of it also. Got to be role model also. Show some compassion for them too the employees. A lot of manager yell at them and don't understand what they're going through when your on a timeline schedule. You got to get with it! Good luck and just remember what I said you will ace it and get the job, if you don't you did something wrong. Don't play with your and hands, look direct into the interview face and eyes and take charge of the interview. Hey you want to be the manager IT Manager also goes under IT Director. Pays a lot of money! Good Luck and don't screw it up next time!

Edited by coolheadal
GunslingerRoland

I agree that this seems to show some age discrimination. It sounds the person asking it has some strong feelings on the different generations and managing them and while their does need to be some knowledge of generational differences it seems very specific and pointed like he has a strong belief in the right way vs. the wrong way to manage millennials.

Honestly I would do a little reading on the generational differences, you can probably find some resources online, at the library or the book store for that, BUT I would also try to see if you can get some insight from people you trust at work and see if you can find out what the "right" answer to this question is.

Like if the person interviewing you believes that millennials are all lazy, then you're answer should be about how you'll make sure that they'll meet all their objectives. If he believes millennials are the companies best resource, then you should talk about how you'll harness their creativity and drive. Etc. etc.

Also I know you are paraphrasing your answer, but I hope you had a lot more depth to it than that. I mean if you believe that your role as a manager isn't to manage, but to use say a servant leadership model and focus your energies around enabling maximum productivity for your team, then say that. Don't just say, well I work with them and we get along.

Depending on your organizational structure, you may need to have more of a true managerial type role over the developers regardless of whether that is what you truly believe or not. I'm not sure if you are talking about more of a project manager role or a supervisor role, but as much as some of the theories say that management isn't necessary and you can just let project teams go and they'll achieve success, that doesn't always blend with reality.

This is probably getting too detailed for a general discussion board though, if you want PM me as I have experience as a software developer and a project manager with leadership expectations and can give you some more targeted thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Author
I agree that this seems to show some age discrimination. It sounds the person asking it has some strong feelings on the different generations and managing them and while their does need to be some knowledge of generational differences it seems very specific and pointed like he has a strong belief in the right way vs. the wrong way to manage millennials.

Honestly I would do a little reading on the generational differences, you can probably find some resources online, at the library or the book store for that, BUT I would also try to see if you can get some insight from people you trust at work and see if you can find out what the "right" answer to this question is.

Like if the person interviewing you believes that millennials are all lazy, then you're answer should be about how you'll make sure that they'll meet all their objectives. If he believes millennials are the companies best resource, then you should talk about how you'll harness their creativity and drive. Etc. etc.

Also I know you are paraphrasing your answer, but I hope you had a lot more depth to it than that. I mean if you believe that your role as a manager isn't to manage, but to use say a servant leadership model and focus your energies around enabling maximum productivity for your team, then say that. Don't just say, well I work with them and we get along.

Depending on your organizational structure, you may need to have more of a true managerial type role over the developers regardless of whether that is what you truly believe or not. I'm not sure if you are talking about more of a project manager role or a supervisor role, but as much as some of the theories say that management isn't necessary and you can just let project teams go and they'll achieve success, that doesn't always blend with reality.

Thank you for your insight, there's some good advice there.

Thanks for your reply. If I may ask, if you were looking for a supervisor to such millenial staff and asked the same question, what would be an acceptable/credible answer? Or would you look for an "old millenial" (30-37 y/o) to fill the position?

My experience is I prefer older employees. The younger ones might very well be capable, have aptitude and in my business the physical energy. However that doesn't make a dependable employee. The younger they are the more they miss work or are on the phone dealing with their personal crisis.

If I come off cynical and I may very well be after 25 years of it.

• Like 2
A large % of the most profitable companies in the world are tech companies, whose main workforce consists primarily of millennials. I doubt the issue lies with the millennials.

To be frank, this remark is WHY many older managers and employers are dubious of a portion of the millennial and younger workers. There is a defensiveness, lack of respect, and unwillingness to take responsibility that tends to seep out.

I've never had a problem with younger colleagues. In my last job I somehow kind of because a "mom" to some of them :) But in order for an employee to contribute, they need to be dependable, productive, professional, and willing to take constructive criticism. A portion of the generation who was told every breath they took was "awesome" and "terrific" didn't develop those qualities.

• Like 1
CautiouslyOptimistic

I think you should craft your answer around the types of things that are important to Millenials when they are looking for a job. Google it, read articles. For example, flexibility is huge. How would you, as a manager, handle requests for flexible work schedules, work at home benefits, etc.? (Hint: in an interview, a good response would be to give this as an example of a need/want they might have, and ask the interviewer if they know what the company policy on that is).

Edited by CautiouslyOptimistic
  • Like 1
  • Author
I think you should craft your answer around the types of things that are important to Millenials when they are looking for a job. Google it, read articles. For example, flexibility is huge. How would you, as a manager, handle requests for flexible work schedules, work at home benefits, etc.? (Hint: in an interview, a good response would be to give this as an example of a need/want they might have, and ask the interviewer if they know what the company policy on that is).

Great ideas, thank you!

If someone asked me that question, I'd have to ask them what they mean, what they view the differences between millennials and others, honestly. Because if the guy asking is a millennial, it's a trap. If he's not, what is his issue with them and then you could give a better answer. So I'd probably say "In regards to?" I mean any answer that says you'd treat them differently than anyone else in the workplace -- well, that would be wrong. So maybe "I'd hold all employees to whatever standard the company sets" might be another way to answer it.

• Like 4
amaysngrace

If they earned a computer engineering degree not only are they intelligent but also hard working. They also are a lot more diverse in the acceptance of others so perhaps that old boss could learn a thing or two from a millennial.

• Like 1

^ sometimes. But education isn't what it used to be. Lots of places these days give you the answers to the tests, basically, just to pass you.

bluefeather

Can someone explain what a millenial is, exactly? Because I have looked it up before and I still couldn't make anything specific out of it. I kind of understand what the characteristics are, but what is the age-range? There does not seem to be an exact number, or at least as far as I can tell. So if that is the case, how does one determine who millenials are?

Millenial=kids these days.

Way to say 'those gosh darn kids these days,' in a way that feels more up-to-date to the speaker.

bluefeather
Millenial=kids these days.

I don't think you are correct. There is generation Z that is even younger. So millennials are not "kids these days." If anything, what you said would be more accurately applied to Gen-Z, not millennials.

• Author
Can someone explain what a millenial is, exactly? Because I have looked it up before and I still couldn't make anything specific out of it. I kind of understand what the characteristics are, but what is the age-range? There does not seem to be an exact number, or at least as far as I can tell. So if that is the case, how does one determine who millenials are?

I believe sociologists classify people born between 1979-1980 and 1999-2000 as millenials. There might be subgroups within that range.

GunslingerRoland
I believe sociologists classify people born between 1979-1980 and 1999-2000 as millenials. There might be subgroups within that range.

Most of the date ranges I've seen start closer to 1982-ish. But that is the basic idea. A lot of people think millennials describes today's kids. But the youngest millennials are going to be finishing high school over the next year or so, and the oldest ones have already been in the workforce for over a decade.

amaysngrace
^ sometimes. But education isn't what it used to be. Lots of places these days give you the answers to the tests, basically, just to pass you.

Whose fault is that? Not millennials. They aren't the screw ups people make them out to be.

They didn't screw up education, they didn't screw up the environment and they had nothing to do with screwing up the economy by racking up massive amounts of debt either.

• Like 1

I have found thru employing a more than a few millennial's that it is hard to find out what motivates them besides their FB status and social media.

They do seem to think they have a right to have their phone at their desk and check/text all day long while on the clock.

We have let go of more than one for watching netflix instead working.

All I ask is you give me the 8 hrs I pay you for.. I don't care if a friend of yours is posting vacation pictures of their trip to Utah while you are at work, you shouldn't be looking at those instead of working/earning a living.

The motivation thing is what I find the hardest.. I haven't employed any yet that are money motivated and only a short few that are motivated by doing a good job and creating a name/reputation for themselves.

Most of them seem to be motivated by letting them check their FB all day...

When the phone/surfing/texting do get in the way of work I do ask them to put it down.

They also don't seem to understand that all that is nothing more than a distraction and isn't work even though they think it is. :)

• Like 3
bluefeather

Most of the date ranges I've seen start closer to 1982-ish.

This sounds clear as mud. I thought sociology was some kind of science. There is nothing concrete from either of these descriptions. :confused:

• Author
This sounds clear as mud. I thought sociology was some kind of science. There is nothing concrete from either of these descriptions. :confused:

From Wikipedia: "Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates for when this cohort starts or ends. Demographers and researchers typically use the early 1980s as starting birth years and the mid-1990s to early 2000s as ending birth years."

Clear enough for me... :)