will_woman

Hi,

I am very unhappy with my job. Because I am not used to their laid-back culture. These people are so complacent as the company has monopoloized the market. And they just being very irresponsible with their work. Everyone work in so-called Harmony…because they do not like pressure and like to take things slow.

For example, nobody turns up for meeting on-time, some will never appear. The host needs to call them up to remind them. Gosh…I am really pissed off by such things. Deadlines are pushed and pushed backwards. They love to communicate by popping over to other’s cubicles and passes verbal instcructions. Totally do not like to use email at all. They can tell you that “Oh….i have not read your email….” (when you emailed them days ago)

Nowadays, people uses emails like nobody’s business. So, I uses email and my boss came over to reprimand me. He said that “why can’t you just walk over and tell them”. Another time is my documents was passed over to someone for 3 times and he lost them 3 times. My boss even said that I should have personally handed over to him instead of leaving on the table.

What kind of company is this?

The ultimatum is during the last appraisal, my boss commented that I am incapable and no team-spirited. That’s why he will put me on further probation. He claimed that my projects have missed schedules. And you know what he did the folllwing day at an open forum in front of the whole company. He said that my projects are able to meet deadline. I really felt like going forward and give him one tight slap.

What kind of boss is this?

It is the employee's job to do her job and adjust herself to the workplace, not the other way around. Maybe if you were a president or high executive in the company, you would have a right and the ability to change it to your ideal, however you are not and therefore you don't get to dictate to them how they should operate. They may lose money or even go out of business, but your responsibility is not to save them from their problems.

It isn't your job to judge. At all. If you don't shape up, I expect you'll lose your job. It's time to change your attitude bigtime. It's you against a whole company and the loser will be you if you continue to do and say the things you've been doing and saying.

It doesn't sound like this is your sort of company ww. Some of the things you're describing do sound pretty lax - but unless you're the boss, trying to push a cultural change could cause you difficulties (and even when you are the boss, creating change can result in conflict).

Is it as lax as you say, or are you finding fault with things because you're feeling insecure in your position? It could be an idea to get some psychometric testing, if you haven't already had that, to find out where your strengths lie. That would give you a better idea of the sort of company you need to be working for.

You might prefer using email so that you have a record of passing on messages, but that's one of the very reasons overuse of email can cause problems in the office. It can denote a certain lack of trust (ie "I'll have a record of telling you this, just in case you try to deny it later on"). Using email too much, and foregoing direct communication might be one of the reasons your boss is suggesting that you're not a team player. Talk to people, give them a deadline a day or so before the real deadline - and if they haven't followed up, THEN send them an email.

• Author
will_woman

Thanks for the replies.

Is it as lax as you say, or are you finding fault with things because you're feeling insecure in your position? [lindya]

I am sure that things are as lax as truly. There are people leaving for the same old reason...can't blend into the culture. I guess I am also one of them.

And also, my boss has been bad-mouthing behind my back. He was telling others that one upgrade onself is redundant when everyone is doing so. Gosh...he knew that I am taking a course on my own.

anyway, I am very active in job hunting. I know that I am not suitable for this company and it's also the same for the company.