Not sure how to proceed

I just started a new role. I saw a managerial position going in a region I wanted to work in and it seemed like the step up I needed. The pay wasnt great but the experience looked amazing. So I interviewed and got a senior managerial role and then cut my travelling to short to start work.

Ive been here for two weeks. The organisation are great and its exciting learning about a new sector. Only thing is Im not managing anyone. One week in I received an UPDATED job description which at first glance was identical to original but on closer inspection had removed my responsibility.

I havent signed it yet as the proposed contract is for one year and right now Im really doubtful I can meet that commitment due to the role not being what I applied and interviewed for. I havent received a cut in pay, but my compelling reason for coming here was for the role itself and the opportunity to finally get managerial experience.

I have a meeting with my manager next week, Im wondering how to raise this without stepping on my new colleagues toes or getting too involved in office politics. Im just really not sure why they waited so long to tell me that the role had changed, a month earlier I would have had an informed choice and they would have found someone who wanted the current job description

You do need to bring it up. Talk about how excited you were for the managerial experience & ask why that responsibility was cut. Do have a concrete reason about how you can solve your company's needs but still get what you want.

• 2 weeks later...
blenkins90

You definitely need to address this. Changing the job responsibilities without informing you is really not very professional at all.

It could be that the meeting with your boss is discussing this? I'd see how the conversation goes, and bring it up at the end. The answer might come out, but just remember to stay positive about it all and frame it with the company's needs in mind (if you can).