Colleague versus Neighbors

Butterflying

I've owned & lived in a condo with a home owners association (HOA) for 15 years. I am president of the board.

Recently a colleague (we're peers) was evicted from a house that she shared with roommates due to some type of illegal activity. I only know about it because she talked about it at work. I didn't care until I learned that she & those criminal roommates were seeking residence in the community where I live. As president of the HOA, it is my duty to alert homeowners of potential risks, especially the ones who rent their units.

As I have done in many cases, I sent the owner of the unit my colleague was planning to rent a letter requesting a background check prior to approval. It came back with things that violate our community standards. So her rental application was denied by the HOA & the homeowner.

She found out I am president of the HOA. Now she's blaming me for not being able to live there. She's accusing me of libel, considering I am the one who told them about her history, not the background check. But she's not taking legal action (because l haven't broken the law or committed libel). Instead, she went to our boss & Human Resources department with this complaint.

Can a company (who is entirely not involved in any way) discipline or terminate me for "allegedly" being involved with her not being allowed to rent a condo in the neighborhood where I live?

To be honest, I wonder why she wants to live where I live anyway. There are bound to be conflicts that arise given my position on the board & knowledge of existing community issues. I never wanted my personal life to interfere with my job. And this is a good example.

I very much doubt that the company could discipline you for something which happened outside of the office.

In the unlikely event that HR does call you in, it would probably only to understand your side of the story. If this should happen, all you have to do is state the truth: That you were already aware that she has X issues. Added to that, the HOA requires a compulsory background check and it came in with unfavourable results. The HOA decided to decline her application. End of story.

I suspect that if it comes to this and her employer does find out her background, she will have very much done herself a disservice.