Salary employee question

shellys-trying

My husband is a 3rd shift plant supervisor and is on salary pay where he gets paid on the 15th and the last day of the month (depending what day of the week the last day falls on).

My question is this:

In July, his factory will close for about 2 weeks. If the whole factory closes (no one works, not supervisors, lead people, managers, etc.) the supervisors are supposed to use any available PDO's to make up for what he won't get paid.

I thought, if you are salary, you get paid your 8 hours whether you're there or not, whether the factory is running or not.

He has heard that he's not allowed to draw unemployment since he's salary, no matter what the circumstances.

Help?

That really depends on whether or not there was an agreement made at his time of hire. Although, I have to admit that it does sound unusual. All of us on salary expect our pay whether it's personal days off or mandentory days off.

• Author
shellys-trying

He was formerly a lead person and then was offered the plant supervisor job at that same factory, so they didn't hand him any kind of new form to sign with a list of agreements, etc.

He handed in a resume stating his qualifications and was immediately, more or less, promoted to his present status. They just told him he would get paid twice a month and that was that.

Would that mean they could bend and twist the basic employee handbook rules as they wish?

Thank you for replying before, BTW. Any help is very much appreciated.

Personally, if I were in his shoes, being offered the position, then not only landing it, but also getting paid twice as much means that I would be in a position to put some stipulations into place. How long ago was this promotion? How well is he performing his job? What I'm getting at is, if he's still in a position to approach his superiors, he should.

When and if he does, he needs to make it clear that he wants a yearly salary, paid twice a month, every month. Otherwise, (based on what you've told me), the company is only obligated to pay him monthly.

• Author
shellys-trying

He's been 3rd shift plant supervisor since July-2000, and he is very dependable. Does all the overtime they need him to, has helped the factory in many ways; conserve $$, budgeting, etc, you know as in saving the company money and things like that.

His own boss, the plant manager for that particular plant, there's 3 (plants) total in the town he works at, can be something of a jerk, though.

For example, my husband put in for 7 days PDO at the beginning of the year (when he gets them every year, as we are going next month on vacation and he's just now got them approved by his (my husband's) boss. My husband has been done this way on several occasions since being promoted to his present job, concerning PDO's and knows that the higher up is supposed to ok or deny them in 48 hours, that is how my husband was instructed to deal with the employees under him requesting their PDO's. His higher up lags around just to make sure my husband isn't needed at the last minute close to the days he wants off.

So, rocking the boat, so to speak, with questions and demands concerning his salary pay and PDO's and whatnot, is touchy.

How could my husband handle this kind of situation? Who could he go to to get things like I've stated above and beforehand solved? He takls with the HR worker at the plant but she seems to know nothing on the proper procedure of salary, pdo's, anything really. I thought that was what the Human Resources job was.

meandmyself

are u sure he doesn't get his two paydays that month still? Maybe it's paid vacation time or maybe he gets a separate vacation cheque.?

Originally posted by shellys-trying

My husband is a 3rd shift plant supervisor and is on salary pay where he gets paid on the 15th and the last day of the month (depending what day of the week the last day falls on).

My question is this:

In July, his factory will close for about 2 weeks. If the whole factory closes (no one works, not supervisors, lead people, managers, etc.) the supervisors are supposed to use any available PDO's to make up for what he won't get paid.

I thought, if you are salary, you get paid your 8 hours whether you're there or not, whether the factory is running or not.

He has heard that he's not allowed to draw unemployment since he's salary, no matter what the circumstances.

Help?

I'm guessing that since you did not mention a union, this is a non-union factory? Is this the first time the factory is closing for two weeks? What is the reason for the closure? If it's a small factory I can't imagine that they would have the financial resources to pay people for not working unless they had vacation or other paid time off owed to them. I guess that would depend on the reason for the closure. If they are being forced to close then they are probably losing revenue. You DO need to clarify this and the best way that I can think of is to ask the person who would know -- his boss, or his boss's boss.

In some instances people can claim unemployment for temporary layoffs or forced time-off without pay--as long as there is nothing owed to the employee in the way of vacation pay, etc. Where did he hear a salaried employee cannot draw unemployment? Was that from his boss? What was the context of the statement? Maybe his boss was telling him, very unclearly, that he would be paid for the two weeks. Anyone can file for unemployment if they are unemployed from a job and they have earned a steady paycheck for a set amount of time. A person can't collect unemployment if they haven't worked long enough and it depends on the reason they are unemployed--if they quit for example.

You can check with the unemployment office online (do a search for your local employment office or search for unemployment benifits) but I would not recommend filing for unemployment until you have clarification from his job because once he files they contact his last employer and that could cause more problems for both of you.

• Author
shellys-trying

it's non union. They don't normally have a 2 week shut down, that's why he was confused about the salary and all. He gets paid twice a month, like clockwork.

The company is pretty big and has plants over in England and up north and in several countries in fact.

I guess, he should ask a local unemployment office and see what they say.

It's just thrown him out of wack. He's used to getting off with his PDO's and that was all, other than the normal paid holidays, like Christmas, July 4th, etc.