turned down for a promotion due to favoritism

I was recently turned down for a promotion that I applied for. Everyone knew that the favorite was going to be the chosen one to get this job, but I decided to give it a chance anyway. The reason they gave me for choosing this other person was an obvious lie. It made me very angry that they could not respect me enough to give me the real reason and why they even wasted my time with an interview when everyone knew who they had already chosen.

I plan to look for a new job because I do not want to stay at a place that treats its employees with such little respect. My question is how can I not let this bother me and affect my work until I can get out of this place?

You can't. Best bet is to stay focused and active looking for a new job. Don't burn any bridges. It's rarely ever a good idea. Also, stay in good humor because your new employer may demand a reference from there, though usually they understand when you're still employed, that's not reasonable. It is easier to get a job when you already have one and aren't giving the new company the impression you are bitter and talking against the company because they'll figure you'll find some reason to do it to them too. So be discreet. Just say you're looking for more money and a little better work environment. If they ask further questions, you could tell them something very contained such as "I feel their critieria for promoting people is more personal than professional." But be very contained and don't show them how angry you are, only that you see no clear path there.

Then once you have the new job, you may write a letter of resignation. And as one of the reasons you're leaving, you may cite that you like to work at a place where promotions are based on seniority and merit.

Silverstring
I was recently turned down for a promotion that I applied for. Everyone knew that the favorite was going to be the chosen one to get this job, but I decided to give it a chance anyway. The reason they gave me for choosing this other person was an obvious lie.

What do you mean by favorite? And why do you think you deserved the position more? And what was the reason they gave you for not choosing you?

It made me very angry that they could not respect me enough to give me the real reason and why they even wasted my time with an interview when everyone knew who they had already chosen.

I am a manager that does promote people, and I always recommend that people apply for promotions even if they don't think they'll get the position. First it shows initiative and ambition - qualities that pretty much all managers are looking for, and second more experience and practice interviewing is always a good thing. And third of course, is that they might be surprised and actually get the promotion.

I plan to look for a new job because I do not want to stay at a place that treats its employees with such little respect. My question is how can I not let this bother me and affect my work until I can get out of this place?

Well the only way it should bother you is if you clearly were the best candidate, and in that case I would make a formal complaint to HR, especially if you have evidence to back it up. The one thing I will say, is that at least for my promotions, I'm promoting people to supervisory positions and that takes a significantly different skill set than the entry level positions. In other words, just because somebody excels at the entry level position, doesn't necessarily mean they would be well suited for a supervisory position.

• Like 3

I agree with the above poster. Tacking on to it you can sit down with management (if you don't want to take it to HR) and tell them you want to move up and is there any development plan that can be worked on to help you with that. Where were you lacking in your development so you can work on that for the next opening.

If they do not want to work with you to move up, than to me, this is not a good company and I would leave.

In regards to how to not let it hit your morale while you are looking? Try and compartmentalize and focus on your work while there, and know you are moving on to bigger and better things. Also you can use the exit interview to give your concerns about what happened.

I do think a discussion with management/HR would help in clarifying whether or not they see any upward mobility for you.

• Author

By favoritism I mean the person they gave it to has always been the favorite of there. Everyone knows it and it has never been an issue until now since it hasn't cost me anything. If they knew they wanted this one person they should have never wasted my time getting my hopes up. There were other people they didn't interview.The only reason they interviewed my was to make it look fair.

The reason they gave was there was a specific thing I had only started within the past month. Well the month before we had our old manager assigning this specific task to people. Did she want me to go and take this from them and say I am better so you shouldn't do it? Our company expanded and opened a new location and this manager went there. Once she was no longer there I started helping out with this specific task every day.

However I thought it would be rude and unprofessional to take the task away from who she assigned it to.

And no I do not have to get over favoritism when it has to do with a promotion. When it is just day to day stuff I can get over it. We all have for the past few years.

You figured who would get the job and you were correct. You gave it a chance anyway and you knew it was just a chance. You were told the reason and you simply didn't like the reason that was given. As an employer i look at it as an employee is having a fit about something not going their way.

As I skim over some of your past post it would seems you have a history of job related issues.

Silverstring
By favoritism I mean the person they gave it to has always been the favorite of there. Everyone knows it and it has never been an issue until now since it hasn't cost me anything. If they knew they wanted this one person they should have never wasted my time getting my hopes up. There were other people they didn't interview.The only reason they interviewed my was to make it look fair.

Well actually if they had just promoted her without opening the position to everybody, that likely would have violated the company's HR guidelines. Opening the offer to everybody interested is fair.

As far as favorites, go, I'm a manager and have a strong preference for employees that work hard, are ambitious, show initiative, and do their job well. Are those my favorites? I guess so, but it's for reasons directly related to the job.

And no I do not have to get over favoritism when it has to do with a promotion. When it is just day to day stuff I can get over it. We all have for the past few years.

Well again, if you were clearly the better candidate for the position, and have the evidence to back it up, make a formal complaint to HR. And in that case you would definitely have a point. But you haven't suggested in any of your posts that you actually were the best candidate for the position.

I think what happened was you were disappointed you didn't get it, and then looked for something to blame to feel better. We all do this to some extent. You should ask for a meeting with the hiring manager and ask them what area you need to work on to give you a better chance of getting a promotion in the future. Again that will show initiative to the hiring manager, and us managers tend to really like that...

• Like 3
  • Author

All my job related issues were me finding a job once I graduated. That is nothing new to many people. It is very hard to find a job once you graduate.

I am not having a fit. I am upset about the fact that my company is unprofessional and does not promote based on who is best for the job. They base it on favoritism.

I work very hard at my job and never leave anything undone for someone else to finish. If it is my responsibility I never pass it off onto someone else unless am told to do so for whatever reason.

And I do feel that I was the better candidate for this position and I have several reasons to back this up and I know several other people there who agree with me on this. I did have a meeting with the person who made the choice. She couldn't even respect me enough to give me a real reason. She made something up that only a moron would believe.

I have several friends who are hiring managers and every single one of them agreed the reason was a lie. I at least deserve the real reason and not some sugar coated lie.

I've only worked one place that truly met what in my mind was the ideal of professional. ... and it sucked. I want to be able to cracked jokes every now and again at work. I don't want a 24/7 seriousness competition.

You say you want to leave because it is unprofessional. I get that you think they picked the favorite. What about everyone else who didn't even get interviewed? Play your cards right and look at this as an opportunity.

The next promotion won't be completed against the favorite right? That favorite has a long fall from grace when it happens.

Do you journal? If not that helps me especially with career planning.

• Author
I've only worked one place that truly met what in my mind was the ideal of professional. ... and it sucked. I want to be able to cracked jokes every now and again at work. I don't want a 24/7 seriousness competition.

You say you want to leave because it is unprofessional. I get that you think they picked the favorite. What about everyone else who didn't even get interviewed? Play your cards right and look at this as an opportunity.

The next promotion won't be completed against the favorite right? That favorite has a long fall from grace when it happens.

Do you journal? If not that helps me especially with career planning.

We can crack jokes all the time. My only issue is that promotions are based on who the favorite is and not work ability. If it doesn't mean anything when you are a hard worker and show the traits that are needed to move up, then what is the point? Shouldn't you just work on being the favorite sine that is what gets you to move up in the world? I think they only interviewed me so it didn't look like they were playing favorites. I would have much rather not even gotten an interview.

Why is the favourite the favourite? What skills and competences does this person have to make them the favourite? Surely they do more than show up and stick their fingers up their nose every day?

I once applied and was shortlisted for a position where there was a clear favourite. To my disappointment, the favourite got the position... But they also deserved the position as much as I did because there were many reasons why they were favoured in the first place: got along great with colleagues, strong work ethic and innovative ideas. Could this be the case here?

If not, then yes, look for work elsewhere. But please pay attention to what it was that made this person a favourite in the first place. There's a lot to be learned by watching how successful people become successful.

• Like 2
RecentChange

I too want to know what makes the favorite, "the favorite"?

You know what, I have been accused with "being the favorite" - and perhaps I am. In addition to taking my job seriously, my skills and competence, my reliability - I know how to create and maintain alliances.

I quickly learned that it is a vital skill in my profession at least. My connections and how I maintain them have allowed me to survive catastrophic layoffs during the economic down turn. I have been promoted repeatedly and have served the same organization for nearly 15 years now.

There was a recent thread about emotional IQ - read it and take the quiz.

For the vast majority of industries not only is a specific skill set needed, but it is also important to know how to foster and maintain relationships in a business setting.

• Like 2

Unless the favoritism is in someway impacting a protected characteristic, that the company has a history of only promoting white males, or only to women based on a quid pro quo arrangement, for example. Then it is definitely something the company would be in trouble for. If it isn't,then yes it is poor management to promote for other reasons than best performers, but it isn't illegal and their (poor) business decisions.

It definitely impacts morale and turnover but not sure how far complaining will go. Please do what you think is best, ultimately you have to go to bed every night with your conscience, but don't do it because you are expecting some correction. That is very unlikely it will happen.

• Author
I too want to know what makes the favorite, "the favorite"?

She is always gets to leave work before her duties are done (if she wants).

She gets to take longer breaks and lunches if she wants

She gets out of extra duties that we are all required to do

It is not fair to anyone to let one person do less work because she is the favorite. We all should be required to do the same amount of work.

She is always gets to leave work before her duties are done (if she wants).

She gets to take longer breaks and lunches if she wants

She gets out of extra duties that we are all required to do

It is not fair to anyone to let one person do less work because she is the favorite. We all should be required to do the same amount of work.

Why does she get away with all of this?

RecentChange

Okay, these are the "perks" that you have perceived as proving she is a favorite.

How did she BECOME the favorite? Works well with others? Great attendance? Efficient?

Why is she the favorite? Do you know?

• Author
Okay, these are the "perks" that you have perceived as proving she is a favorite.

How did she BECOME the favorite? Works well with others? Great attendance? Efficient?

Why is she the favorite? Do you know?

I have no idea. I think it is because she is buddies with the manager. Friendships should have no basis in work place promotion and treatment of your workers. Everyone should be treated the same. And she gets away with this because she is the favorite. She does a good job, but most of the people there do just as good if not better of a job. She herself has admitted I am a better worker. I do not think promotions should ever be based on personal feelings. They should be based on work ethic and ability.