how to ask for increase or promotion..

I work really hard, never complain, even never say no to anyone(I know, I shouldn't, I need to change about this)...I do overtimes all the time...I always feel as long as I do my job perfectly, my boss will see it...

but today I feel I am so stupid...

even xmas, I work from home..when my boss say thank u to me, he even did not look at me...and recently he promote a new person from entry level to senior level...I don't understand...this new person even does not know about her job yet...honestly I feel it is a joke...I worked so hard for so long...I scarify the time with my family and kids for work, but he promote a new girl even does not know her new job yet..

I feel I should be strong and stand up for myself...I always feel I do not work for money...I should feel appreciate I have a job...but right now I feel I am so stupid...I am a joke....

my supervisor works even more overtime than me, but she only want to keep her job, not be laid off...but he promote a new person who does not even understand her job and we all need to stop our work and tell her how to do everything and she get promoted...omg I cannot believe this world any more...I feel I am so stupid and like a joke...

please tell me how to ask salary increase or promotion opportunity...I need a fair treatment...even he will not give to me but I want to stand up for myself once.

Make a list of all your work accomplishments. Then figure out what they are worth & how much value they bring to your employer. It's a bit easier when you have a job as a revenue generator rather than as a cost of doing business. Once you know your worth, explain it to your employer to justify the increase you seek. Also do some research about your value in the market place. Shopping yourself to another company might be in order too.

• Like 2

I would also ask what the succession planning is for your department/you and you want to move to the next level, so what do you need to do to get there?

If you aren't met with a solid answer than looking outside may be in order.

• Like 1
  • Author

honestly I am really not good at sale myself. and I am also in the stage to gain more experience. I never expect that they will give me how much, how much...everyday I really focus on my own job. I always feel it is hard for me to get through a work interview or a negotiation for increase or promotion but I do believe I am an asset for any employer...I never complain about my job, I do overtimes just to make sure my job is perfectly done. but I feel maybe because I am like this so my boss does not care about my hard work at all... I begin to feel maybe this is my problem. if I continue work like this, every employer will do the same thing to me...but I do not know what to change and how...

• Author

yes, it is a really good question to ask!!! my boss keep telling me he will give me opportunity to gain experience but I had work so hard for him for so long and he promote a new girl she haven't done anything for this team yet... and we have same experience level and I have higher education background...and I do not think she is even a hard worker...

I begin to question myself about the whole idea about how to perform in workplace...maybe hard work is not the key...then what I missed...