Coworker seems rude when telling me I need to go to Europe!

I work at a travel company where the biggest benefit is that after 1 year at the job, you can take one of the European tours for free, minus the airfare, and your spouse can go along for the same except they do have to pay $100/day. Well the shortest tour you can take is 7 days, so right there is $700 for my husband, plus plane tickets for both of us would be at least $1200 a piece. Then a few hundred dollars for spending money. You are in the $3000-3500 range. We don't have any extra money and can't save anything because my husband is terrible with money and has $0 savings, not even anything in a 401k, and my savings has depleted so dramatically over the past few years because I have to pay a majority of the bills that I just can't save anything.

I am the only person out of 100 people at my job that has never been to Europe, whereas others go at least once a year, if not more. Hell, we barely take any vacations in the US because we can't afford that either. My coworker, who is in his early 60s has said to me more than once in a rather rude way that I NEED to go to Europe and how much of a bargain it is to take an anywhere from $2000-$5000 tour for free. Yes that is a bargain, but it's not a bargain when you have to spend $3000 regardless to go. That's a month's paycheck for me and my paycheck is used up nearly entirely the first week paying our bills, so there's no way we are going to save $3000 to go. Everyone in my dept has their vacations planned out months in advance and I look at the calendar and they are out 3-4 weeks, which is more vacation than we get, but you can be out without pay for several weeks. I can't afford to go anywhere for that long without being paid. They have husbands or wives who make a lot of money and they can afford to go. I have a husband who works a $16/hr job and has no dsavings. We can't afford to go. I get such pitiful looks from everyone when they ask me again and again "When are you going to take a tour"? I tell them "Maybe someday".

whichwayisup

Try not to let this upset/bother you. It's nobody's business about whether or not you travel anywhere. If that rude co worker made you feel bad, stop feeling bad. Don't give a person that much power over your emotions! What they think you 'should' do, doesn't matter!

It does seem odd working at a travel company that you have not travelled yourself.

I'm sure your coworkers mean nothing by it, they just want you to use the perks offered by your job. Don't take it personally.

Have you thought about going alone?

RecentChange

Do you think your coworkers INTENT is to be rude to you, or to encourage you?

I am betting they are trying to encourage you to take advantage of this amazing opportunity and travel. I would imagine that many who work for a travel agency enjoy to travel and think that you may enjoy it as well.

I would think some first hand experience traveling would also enhance your career.

I would LOVE to have an opportunity like that.

GunslingerRoland

Typically travel companies pay less than other companies and most people work at them just for the perks. They are probably shocked that you would work there and not take advantage of said perks.

If this is the situation and you want the highest salary you may want to take another look at the job market to be honest.

• Author

I'm sure they want me to travel, but the problem still remains...I'm not going to spend half of my savings to go and do it and then be worrying about bills! If someone wants to gift me 2 plane tickets to go, then we could probably manage the other $800 or so, but I really wish they would understand when I say it's not financially possible now and then have them go "Oh but it's such a great opportunity". I know!

Sounds like your long term serious issue is your husband and his inability to be a responsible financial partner, and not a subsidized trip to Europe.

• Like 1