My HR is hurting me at work and spreading lies about me

I'm the youngest employee at work and I've been working for a year now and from the past few months, my HR(female) is constantly hurting me and spreading false rumours about me to everyone. Initially, I took it as a joke and brushed it off but lately, its gotten to the point where the entire office thinks I'm a player, liar. I travel to my hometown every weekend despite it being far from my work place to see my dog and family, they are close to me. My HR tells everyone that I have kept multiple girlfriends everywhere and that is the reason I travel a lot at weekends. Everyone now thinks I'm some kind of player and my female colleagues think bad of me.

Also, whenever I take leaves, I have to write the mail to my boss and HR as e-mail recipients. Whatever I talk with them in the mail should be private and but she shares all of that with everyone and even exaggerates it. One time, my boss wasn't happy I took a sudden day off telling him at the last moment and he told me not repeat it. My HR told everyone that I got my ass kicked from boss.

Recently, she has been spreading rumours that I'm looking for other companies and planning to quit here just because she saw me editing my resume, I was just updating to keep it up-to-date. How do I go about this? I can't stand this anymore. PS, my HR is a 40 year old woman.

Well, first of all, don't edit your resume at work and then she won't know about it! Common sense.

Secondly, if she's spreading lies, go over her head and make a complaint on her. Why would you be telling her when you go out of town? That's none of her business unless you are asking for unscheduled days off to do it. Even if you take your full vacation, you need not tell her you're going anywhere or tell her anything. Why do I get the feeling that you have let her into your personal life by telling her too much.

• Like 1
  • Author
Well, first of all, don't edit your resume at work and then she won't know about it! Common sense.

Secondly, if she's spreading lies, go over her head and make a complaint on her. Why would you be telling her when you go out of town? That's none of her business unless you are asking for unscheduled days off to do it. Even if you take your full vacation, you need not tell her you're going anywhere or tell her anything. Why do I get the feeling that you have let her into your personal life by telling her too much.

Thank you for the reply. I don't share my personal plans with her. The bus station is right next to my office and she has seen me several times getting on the bus and traveling. I usually bring some luggage with me as my home and bus station/office is far. I can just get on the bus and travel to my city after office ends. That's how she knows about me traveling.

Take a taxi to a different station. I would report her for that, though. It's none of her business. It's one thing if she saw it, but telling everyone your business is not very professional. Make a complaint on her for being unprofessional and spreading stuff about your personal life and then judging you for it, thus hindering your work record.

I am confused, HR is Human Resources correct? Is there only one person in the department? Why are you having to cc HR on emails? Does HR do payroll as well so they need to know time off status?

If the HR rep has a boss go to them and complain. This person should be spread rumors about you. Have you complained to your supervisor about her?

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't alter my routine to appease the HR lady by taking a taxi cab to another station etc. I simply would shoot her a professional email CC your boss and hers indicating that you find it unprofessional and appalling for her to maliciously spread untruths about you to the staff. Whatever you do after 5pm and approved time off is your business and it is not to be discussed or is up for discussion...period! If need be...quote and cite the HR policy from your handbook you were given during your hire.

Watch how she becomes a shrinking violet. In cases like these always leave a paper trail. Right after that email has been properly sent forward a copy directly to your own personal email address. Speaking from experience, I.T. personnel are known to make certain emails magically disappear.

Good luck.

Edited by Tressugar

In the UK that would constitute breach of confidentiality and data protection laws. Defamation is also actionable. So my advice is to contact the union for employees in your industry and have them advise you on how to proceed.