Did I do the right thing here?

purplesoccer34

I was interviewing with a bunch of companies, and I recently received an offer. I was beyond excited--I had been searching for employment for the past few months to no avail, so this offer made my day. I had a final interview with a second company scheduled the day after I received the offer--this company was also a fantastic company, and everyone was incredibly nice. Throughout the interview process, they seemed genuinely interested in me as a candidate.

Both companies are awesome, but I slightly preferred the second company, only because it is 2000 miles from where I live currently, and I've always dreamed of living in that city. But with all other factors concerned, both companies have the same advantages---small, friendly teams, lots of learning opportunities, great benefits, etc. The first company has slightly better training opportunities than the second, so that's a plus there.

When I received the offer for the first company, I didn't even stop to think about the second company. I notified them in the nicest way possible that I had received an offer somewhere else, and that I wanted to cancel the interview. I felt awful telling them this, because I genuinely liked them. Also, the offer from the first company was set to expire just shortly before my interview with second company, and I didn't want to ask for an extension. But maybe I acted too quickly, because for some reason now, I'm feeling awful for cutting things off with the second company.

Did I do the right thing by canceling the interview with the second company? Should I have asked for an extension from the first company, just so I could see if the second company would give me an offer? And lastly, what's the best way to stay in touch with the second company? I'd love to work for them in the future.

You made the best economic decision. Because you were up front with the second company I don't think you ruined your chances in the future.

Best wishes on your new job.

• Author
purplesoccer34
You made the best economic decision. Because you were up front with the second company I don't think you ruined your chances in the future.

Best wishes on your new job.

Thanks, you're probably right. There's a part of me that wishes I had waited to see if the second company would have made an offer.