How many jobs do you have in your work history?

I have been working for a few years. I have experienced a lot job changes for a variety of reasons. I have worked in some temporary contract type jobs. About 1/3 of the jobs that I have had fall into this category. I have been laid off due to economic slow downs. I have experienced job loss due to corporate buy out work force restructuring. I have changed jobs for both career and economic opportunities. I have also been fired a couple of times. Once due to a more qualified canidate becoming available for the position I had at the time. Once due to functional personality and communication style differences between me and the principal department manager. Once do to ethically questionable management department down sizing prior corporate ownership change. Once due to internal corporate power politics between regional and national department disfunctional structural issues. I have alway attempted to work to the best of my abilites. Over 30 years I have had about 25 jobs. If I go back to when I was 16 and include every job I have ever had, the number of paying jobs with different employers is around 35. I am curious what kind of employment histories other people on this site have experienced?

Don't go back more than 15 years on your resume. No matter what happened.

I agree with this, people only want relevant info to read..

To be on topic.. I don't have a résumé and have only had one job, been employed for almost 38ish years however...thruout the years have read many résumés.

I;m 40 and this is now my 5th job. My first job started in 1999 which was my longest job of all that ended in 2005. Then the next job last 4 years followed by the next job that lasted 2 years. The job after that lasted 9 months which was my shortest job because I was fired. Now at my current job I just completed my 3rd year last month and this is the longest I been with a job since 2001 to 2004.

I plan to eliminate the job that lasted 9 months since the job after that will likely be 5 years or more. No one will care why I was fired from the job before the current job if I been there 5 plus years.

I agree with this, people only want relevant info to read..

To be on topic.. I don't have a résumé and have only had one job, been employed for almost 38ish years however...thruout the years have read many résumés.

see that's my definition of a dream job now that I am older, a job that is "ONGOING" lol

Continuous employment allows a person to save money and find a even more stable job in the future.

HS - 2

College - 3

PostGrad Summer - 1

Real jobs - 5 + 2 separate periods as self-employed

Real jobs, 5 years per job on average, including self-employed

In almost 30 years in the workforce, I have had 17 jobs.

I have never been fired.

I have quit twice.

Longest tenure was 8 years.

At my current position now for about 18 months.

high school: 4-5 part-time jobs

college: 3 official part-time jobs plus occasional odd jobs here and there for extra cash

post-college career: 3 different companies in approx. 18 years; same industry but vastly different companies

I am an odd ball for this day and age.

High School / college - 2 retail jobs, 2 food industry jobs, and worked for a horse trainer for many years.

Post college - 2 jobs. First one was 18 months till I was let go in a lay off. Started with my current company the next week, and I have been with them for 14 years now, through 3 relocation's and 4 promotions.

GunslingerRoland

Total, I've worked 5 places, but 2 were less than 2 months.

So I'd say a 3 year job during high school, a 4 year job during college and a 15 year job currently.

I guess you could say I stay pretty committed once I start somewhere.

Two jobs after education was completed. One 9 years, one 1 year. When I review resumes, I am very cautious of people who switch jobs every year. If in a 10 year period, I don't see at least a 3-5 year experience at the same place, definitely a red flag for me.

There is more than one way to write a resume. Since you have had a lot of jobs the classic list of every job makes you look unstable. Do not use that format.

Instead highlight your skills especially adaptability.

Remember a resume is a marketing document. Put your best foot forward in the best light possible. An employment application which asks you to list every job & sign under oath is a different thing. Until you get there, just play up your strengths.

• Like 1