Should I call to check?

Hi,

I have been to 2 rounds of interview. High chance of getting it.

However, the Human resources personnel has not called me up yet.

Do anyone call to enquire about status or just wait for the call?

Will calling make me desperate for the job and they can push down the pay?

Send a thank-you card thanking them for the interview! That leaves a great impression. ;)

Originally posted by tiki

Send a thank-you card thanking them for the interview! That leaves a great impression. ;)

i disagree. a thank you note is not needed. this is business, period. wait for them to call you and once they offer u the job you can say thank you a hundred times (altho, i would not recommend that either).

Having processed resumes, scheduled interviews, conducted reference checks and coordinated security checks within senior level positions, you should send a thank you letter.

As far as following up - what did they tell you after the last interview and how long ago was that?

Um..I don't know Alpha. I once sent a thank you e-mail after an interview and I was hired the same day. When I asked why me over all the other qualified interviewers, she said that it was the e-mail.

I would send a thank you card..just a little reminder and then wait for the call.

It's now very common to send thank you notes after interviews. By all means do so. People in the know about the working world advise that it's a good idea.

I've been interviewing a lot lately... usually I send nothing unless it's an organization I really want to work for. Last week I visited two places which I really liked, so I sent them both e-mails saying thanx and all that. One place called me back to meet with the executives; I have yet to hear from the other.

Doesn't mean anything until I sign the dotted line. Chances are I'm still overqualified.

• Author

Thanks alot...folks .

this is what happened. I went on a Thursday (2 weeks ago) and met up with the section manager. He was quite impressed and told me that I would need to wait for 2 more weeks. However, the following day (Friday), HR called me to go for round 2. OKay...i went and met up with the Head of department. We spend 5 hours from interview to meeting peers and hand-on as well.

1 week ago, which was last fri, Hr called me and asked me to re-do the personality test as they think that the results and physically-me are different!!! She also asked me about the current salary. She told me that she will get back to me by last Fri (22 Apr). I emailed her and thank her for all her efforts in arranging and lookeding forward to hear from her soon.

Originally posted by will_woman

She also asked me about the current salary.

That's where things get iffy... when they ask your salary expectations without disclosing their range for the position. In my experience this always meant adieu. Hopefully it works out better for you.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

If they interviewed 4 people to the same extent, and two of them called back or sent a thank-you, who do YOU think they would put in their YES file?

Originally posted by MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

If they interviewed 4 people to the same extent, and two of them called back or sent a thank-you, who do YOU think they would put in their YES file?

the person in the YES file is the one they think is the best candidate for the job whether or not he or she sends a f***ing thank you note or card.

this is business, damn it!. not a wedding or bar mitzvah

Originally posted by alphamale

the person in the YES file is the one they think is the best candidate for the job whether or not he or she sends a f***ing thank you note or card.

this is business, damn it!. not a wedding or bar mitzvah

Alpha raises a good point. But in the end, we are human beings with feelings. I mean, who DOESN'T like a thank-you card? :D

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

I'm just saying that it could be a deciding factor if all four applicants are equally qualified.

Who wants the job more? They will pick the person who showed the most interest, and that is the one who called back. I know this from experience and have heard this from several top executives. Some of them even toss the ones in the garbage who don't call back.

This doesn't go for employment only, this also goes for charitable requests for donations and other types of correspondence.

Yes Alpha I agree somewhat...I mean if your good your good..they will hire you regardless of a dang Thank you card or not..but its still doesn't hurt to send it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Author
will_woman

update you folks...

Four days ago, i called the company and they said it is midst of signature route to the headquarters. Just short of one more signatures. And mentioned that they are appreciative of me following up with the matter.

I gues i can only wait and wait. Not sure if that;s true. Maybe they are still interviewing.

My husband is a vice president and has given me tips on things like this. Call - It will let them know that you are really interested. It should not affect your salary. Most likely the salary for you would have already been decided.

Some interviewers may be charmed by a post-interview thank-you card. Others might see it as an ingratiating attempt to influence the final decision. A courteous, professionally toned letter would probably be appreciated by most interviewers, but a card seems a little too informal and "social".

If the applicant's industry calls for the ability to network and indulge in a lot of PR and corporate sucking up at social events, then a card might, on the other hand, be quite appropriate.

PS - congratulations on taking steps to move out of your existing workplace. Didn't sound as if it was the place for you.

SixthSt.Girl

It depends on the job - most of the time they will specify at the end of the interview when they will make a decision, and when they will be calling if I get the job. I personally have never called back after an interview. I am not an aggressive person, and I've heard pros and cons that have me hesitant about this issue. My ex boss' sister works in HR at a large company, and she says she hates the follow-up calls because they are an interruption. I work in retail, and I have to say I agree! Our owner (and hirer) is often away, anyway. The same ex boss called back after an interview - said something like "I just wanted you to know I enjoyed seeing your business, etc." The employer said that she was the runner-up for the job, but now that he thought about it, he liked her attitude and actually made a second position for her. So, in that case the call was a plus, but it's still something I'm uncomfortable doing. The last job I got, I went through a series of interviews, and they were very good about getting back with me when they said they were going to.

I almost always send a thank-you card, unless the hiring window is so narrow that the card will not be received until days after the selection has been made - many jobs I've interviewed for are out of town, so it can sometimes take a week for the card to arrive. Not worth it in my line of work, though it can depend on the business. It's just like wooing customers to our store - you have to know who to hit, when to hit, and how often. :laugh:

• Author
will_woman

hi...the company called me and offered me the job last week. They said they will come back to me on the package again this week, Monday. And yestersday, they said there is some delay and quoted tuesday. And now, still no news.....

Hmm...wonder what;s wrong?

SixthSt.Girl

Well, it's been my experience that companies will sometimes put hiring on the backburner for more important things. I applied at a company, and as soon as I was hired, they treated me like crap - it took them forever to get back to me about the details of which store I'd be at, dress code, etc. I ended up not staying with the job because of it. Anyway, I'm sure they'll contact you - it may just take a little time.

Not to hijack your thread, will, but I have a question of my own. I had an interview last week. She said she'd be conducting interviews for the rest of the week, and early next week. She'd be doing call-backs next week and said she would give me a call. She gave me her phone # for questions, but I don't have her address. I know her office is in Cleveland because of the number, but I don't know if I should send a thank-you card at this point or not. It won't even arrive until mid-late next week. I'm not sure if when she calls me back, it will be for a second interview, or if she's calling everyone back (even those she's not interested in hiring, as a courtesy {?}). Usually, they give out business cards with the address, but this business is more informal, so what should I do? I want her to know I'm still interested...