Deciding to relocate or not?

Well here's the deal - i've been working at this same place for 7 years now (eeks time flies)

Anyways just found out that my department and some others are being outsourced to another country - grrr - So my last day is the end of Sept - and if I stay til that date I get a nice little package to send me on my way

I'm not too upset because it never was a dream job - but the people were great and it paid the bills.

However, my dilema at this point is that I mentioned I was looking for a new job to the account I work for the day i found this out (however couldn't tell them all the details yet about the outsourcing). They said they would love for me to come work with them. It's funny because I was talking about finding a new job with a friend (the ex) over the weekend before and he suggested I email them that week anyways - he must by psyhic or something.

I still have to send them my salary requirements and stuff and it isn't finalized but they are definitely really interested and even called me a couple times. I would love to try it to get it to work out that I finish up my old job til Sept so I can get my chk and then move - I'm sorta on the poor side right now :(

But they really want to know if I want to go down so I'm gonna send them my salary requirements tomorrow and see what happens with that - and take it from there. I wish they knew what was going on with my company - it would make it a little easier to discuss things.

But now that the possibility is really there I'm starting to freak a little. I'm 31 and don't have anything tying my down right now - no bf or kids to think of. So this would be the time to move. I would be moving from NY to a city in TX. Part of me is like yes yes go - it'll be a real city with stuff to do and the weather is beautiful (I love the sun - don't get it much where I am now). Then there is part of me is like aww I'll miss my peeps and the parental units. My brother moved last year to WV. It hasn't been the best year ever but I'll miss this place for some strange reason. I could always stay and get a diff job at the place i'm working now but it's really not my cup of tea.

So to make a long story short - I'm a little freaked to move to far alone. My friends think I should give it a try, my parents aren't too thrilled. Just need some words of wisdom from others that have done this - I know people do it all the time. I have been talking about moving for awhile but now that I have the chance I'm starting to feel a little stressed - eeks - help :p

What are your job prospects like if you stay? Would you be making enough money at the job in TX to make trips home? Have you spent any time in the city that you are moving to and do you know anyone there? Lots of stuff to think about....make a list of pros and cons.

There are lots of us shackers down in Texas - c'mon down!

• Author

Brashgirl - thanks - yeah never been to Texas - yeah I should take a trip down - i'm just piss poor right now - grrr - I'll send them my salary requirements tomorrow and see how things unfold this week - we could have an ls party in Tx

Sexchick - umm - thanks - but not quite sure what i'm looking at - lol - that is one sexychick though

• Author

sexychick - ok i went to the other site - lol - i better be careful when i go out next time - lol

I've relocated twice. You're ahead of the game if you'll have a job set up for you. That's one of the harder things about relocating. You're young and have no ties - the perfect time to try something new. With email and webcams and telephones you are never really that far from anyone. You'll make new friends and then you'll have more 'peeps'.

• Author

Thanks moimeme - twice wow

Yes more 'peeps' would be a good thing - that was one thing i was complaining about a few month ago - that i needed to find some new friends

I get excited by the new possiblilities and then I talk to my mom and she always puts a downer on it - and she wonders why I've been calling and visiting less lately - I want to make this decision without her worrying about to much or influencing me too much - blah

Plus I could always give it a try for a year and if I don't like it - I can always come back

Well I'm gonna send them an email tomorrow and tell them I'm definitely interested and give them my salary requirements - which is another thing I'm worried about - it has to be somewhat worth my while :)

I'll see what happens from there - so exciting

I have all my ducks lined up to relocate. I have a little bit of money to hold me over for awhile. I have interviewed at 2 companies in the city (NYC) that I want to relocate in. But, I dont have a job offer yet. Should I take the plunge and sign a lease with a my potential roommate? My job prospects where I am at dont look good because this place is not real conducive to my career field. However, NYC is. Shall I just do it...move and then wait tables if I have to?

the most impt thing in your life are your "Peeps" (whatever the hell that is!) and your family. always put them above all else. jobs and lovers come and go but the firends and family stick around.

imaging being in TX with no friends, no family, no connects, no relationships. It sucks big time....I've been there so I know. If you have not expereinced true loneliness then you will if u move..... it ain't pretty.

• Author

hmm - thanks Alpha - I hear what you are saying - it was hard to read your post because I'm hungry and could use a burger

yeah - the decision is stressing me out - taking it day by day - I know I would probably feel completely lonely when I get there, but I've also been pretty lonely this last year as well living here. My parents can also fly for free. I don't know. If I didn't have this opportunity I would probably stay where I am. If everything works out I may go down and try it for a year and come back if it doesn't work out.

I sent over my salary requirements today and they said they could probably fulfill them - but they will get back to me in a couple days

Then they asked when I wanted to move - which is tough because I can't really give them a totally honest answer - the deal is they don't know that my depart is being relocated yet so I can tell them I want to wait and get my severance chk which isn't til the end of Sept - I think they want me to come sooner - I asked my boss if I could move into the first wave of layoffs in July but he is still looking into it. So right now it's August or October - but they will probably think I'm nuts if I give them that answer without a reason. My boss says all the accounts will know at the end of the week.

The other deal is I'm suppose to sign my lease for next year by the end of the month - crap

Stress stress stress

I want a burger and a beer

curiousnycgirl

Please PLEASE really investigate this new city. NY to TX is a very difficult move - I know I did it!! Lasted 2 years and was thrilled to come home - and I already had friends there when I moved!

Austin is cool, Houston not so very. You really want to check it out before making such a commmittment.

I don't want to rain on your parade, I would just like to see you fully informed before you go.

Originally posted by purple21

- I think they want me to come sooner -

when a company is actively interviewing it means they want to fill the job right away, withing 2 to 4 wks of chooseing the candidate. they will not wait for 5 months until september. when u tell them this they will offer the job to candidate #2 on the totem pole.

no company I know of will say "oh, we luv u so much PURPLE21 that we'lll leave the job open for 5 months, join whenever u can, we luv u!!" :laugh:

• Author

Hey curiousnycgirl - thanks for your input - i've been doing some research online but i know that isn't quite the same - lol - i would be going from Buffalo to Austin. I had a friend who went there and loved it. What city did you live in and what didn't you like about it?

Hi Alpha - lol - they should wait for me i'm totally worth it - i know what you are saying - they don't actually have a position open per se but they would make one for me. I really doubt they can wait til Oct - my boss is trying to move my end date up until July - but that is still awhile away. Can you give me some cash so I can move? :p

Crap - I don't know what to do

I've heard great things about Austin. It's pointless clinging to home out of fears. Try something new. It's not like your family and friends will vanish off the planet and you'll make even more friends in the new location. What you have is gold - a job offer in a new place. If it were me, I'd go.

• Author

Thanks Moimeme - you made some good points - like always :)

If everything works out I'll probably give it a try - I would be silly not too.

I'll see how things unfold this week and let you know.

I'll see how things unfold this week and let you know.

Great! Great cat pic, BTW :)

I've relocated 4 times now from the wet coast to the midwest to the plains and (for) now I'm in California. Each move has brought opportunity, challenges and immense personal growth (AKA blood, sweat, tears, joy and happiness.) Each of my moves was good for me in different ways.

Really it all comes down to what will fit your personality. Some people never venture far from where they were born and others roam the globe. I imagine that you are somewhere in between otherwise you wouldn't be considering the move.

This sounds like a great opportunity for you. Imagine sun and a job too! :)

Here is a cost of living comparison calculator from CNN. Keep in mind it is very general.

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html

• Author

Thanks for the help Craig - I'll definitely chk out that site

Yes the sun is a big selling point - don't get much here :)

curiousnycgirl

Purple -

Sorry it took so long for me to respond - been a wee bit busy. I lived in Houston - I hated the humidity, the bugs and to be candid - the people!

I am a tried and true New Yorker - I know people think we are rude, but in reality we are just very honest and direct. I found my coworkers to be two faced and beastly. If I have an issue with someone at work, I pick up a phone, call them, express my issue and hopefully work it out directly. In Houston this was totally unheard of! They expected you to go to their managers - why on earth would I get them in trouble when I could easily resolve an issue one on one? Basically you never knew who your friends were - because what they said to your face, was never what they said behind your back!

On the social side - you hear so much about southern hospitality - I found it to be total BS!!! Growing up in NYC (heart of Manhattan), and through my adult years, I always had a fridge full of munchies and drinks - because friends always just stopped by - and they were ALWAYS welcome. In Texas you needed engraved invitations or something! If you were in the neighborhood and called to stop by - they wouldn't say no, but they were totally put off. Needless to say they never just dropped by my house.

Another great example - within my first few months there, I did a walk-a-thon for charity. I've done lots of these in NY - always with a group of friends. Along the way we generally picked up more people, and when finished, we would all go for lunch, dinner, drinks, whatever. In Houston they just went home!

I swear these people were socially inept!

Okay enough of my rant. That was just my personal experience - I also met great people down there, and they continue to be part of my life.

Whatever you decide - good luck to you.