I have an interview today for a job that pays $8 more an hour than my current but it's also an extra 30 minutes so about an hour drive each way. I make it home in time to get my kids after school.. this would not, which would mean daycare money out of that $8 an hour.

Thinking if I'm crazy to cancel it all together or see what they say? Thoughts..

I have an interview today for a job that pays $8 more an hour than my current but it's also an extra 30 minutes so about an hour drive each way. I make it home in time to get my kids after school.. this would not, which would mean daycare money out of that $8 an hour.

Thinking if I'm crazy to cancel it all together or see what they say? Thoughts..

There may be more to a new opportunity than the money but that is for you to decide.

$8 more per hour is an extra $64/day (assuming an 8-hr day). Where I live day care costs average about $1200/month, and your extra $64/day would equal $1280/month for a 20-day work month.

Even if it costs you an extra $10/day in fuel, you will be making $54 more each day and a total of $1,080/month.

• Like 1
GunslingerRoland

Doesn't hurt to find out what they have to say, but yeah if it's going to cost you as much as you'll make and you lose time with your children, it probably isn't worth it.

• Like 1

For that kind of money, you could get an au pair to watch your kids, keep the house clean and tidy, do the laundry and cook a few meals. That would more than make up for the hour you lost with your kids, because you wouldn't have to worry about any of that stuff when you get home. Plus, you won't have any additional daycare costs in the summer when school lets out.

It's a totally personal decision. While you weigh pros and cons, consider the factor of which job helps you grow your employability more....it's often overlooked. You're bargaining, not just for today's deal of money/time/career growth/family, but also for next year's and 10 years down the road.

• Like 2
There may be more to a new opportunity than the money but that is for you to decide.

$8 more per hour is an extra $64/day (assuming an 8-hr day). Where I live day care costs average about $1200/month, and your extra $64/day would equal $1280/month for a 20-day work month.

Even if it costs you an extra $10/day in fuel, you will be making $54 more each day and a total of $1,080/month.

You neglected the taxes withdrawn and other deductions. It may be more like $6.50 to $7 per hour. And even if does she makes an additional $1280 ($8 x 8 hrs x 20 work days) minus $1200 (daycare) and minus an additional $200 ($10 per day x 20 in gas), then how do you get that she has more than $1000 extra?

Maybe I did something wrong? IF no daycare, then yes, it is that much, but with daycare?

It appears that you will actually lose money and also time with your children if you take this job, using the numbers above.

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 1

Go on the interview. You will look flakey if you cancel now & you never know where you may come across this person in the future.

See what they have to say. Ask about room for advancement.

If in the short term you are inconvenienced but there is real opportunity, consider the job.

Otherwise, it sounds like something you can turn down if you get offered the position which is not guaranteed.

• Like 2
You neglected the taxes withdrawn and other deductions. It may be more like $6.50 to $7 per hour. And even if does she makes an additional $1280 ($8 x 8 hrs x 20 work days) minus $1200 (daycare) and minus an additional $200 ($10 per day x 20 in gas), then how do you get that she has more than $1000 extra?

Maybe I did something wrong? IF no daycare, then yes, it is that much, but with daycare?

It appears that you will actually lose money and also time with your children if you take this job, using the numbers above.

You're right, I didn't estimate taxes. Assume $8/hr is $1280/month, minus taxes we can estimate $850 left over (I'm using my own tax rate as an example...YMMV).

Add another $10 commuting expenses per day, that leaves only $650 extra each month and $7,800/year.

If the cost of daycare is higher than that, it's not worth it at all. Not to mention quality of life differences. Adding commute time isn't generally viewed as a positive quality of life adjustment, especially when children are involved.

I wouldn't do it unless you can move right by where the new job is. Do that, and you really have an advantage. I'm a big believer in living right by work when possible. Also, living by work means you are more reliable. Being even 30 minutes away, you are more likely to be less dependable and late to work and have to take off more time than someone else when you have to leave work about your child.

As is, I wouldn't drive an hour to work.

Longer commute only makes sense if it's more money. No way am I waking up earlier to make the same money. lol

You're right, I didn't estimate taxes. Assume $8/hr is $1280/month, minus taxes we can estimate $850 left over (I'm using my own tax rate as an example...YMMV).

Add another $10 commuting expenses per day, that leaves only $650 extra each month and $7,800/year.

If the cost of daycare is higher than that, it's not worth it at all. Not to mention quality of life differences. Adding commute time isn't generally viewed as a positive quality of life adjustment, especially when children are involved.

Yes, but....

If you have $850 available after taxes and gas takes away $200, how will she pay for the estimated $1200 in daycare (which is a new expense)? She will be losing money unless she can come up with daycare for considerably less than $650.

Or did I miss something again?

IMO, this job move does not seem worth even the interview.

GunslingerRoland
For that kind of money, you could get an au pair to watch your kids, keep the house clean and tidy, do the laundry and cook a few meals. That would more than make up for the hour you lost with your kids, because you wouldn't have to worry about any of that stuff when you get home. Plus, you won't have any additional daycare costs in the summer when school lets out.

Not everyone has the extra room in their house for an au pair though.

But I agree you pointed out something important that there are most likely some summer break, winter break, easter break, day off child care costs being paid right now that aren't being accounted for in this math?

Also isn't child care tax deductible in America?

Yes, but....

If you have $850 available after taxes and gas takes away $200, how will she pay for the estimated $1200 in daycare (which is a new expense)? She will be losing money unless she can come up with daycare for considerably less than $650.

The 1200 is an estimate from another poster. It's not necessarily what the OP would have to pay.

From what I understood, her children are in school and she managed to pick them up with her current work schedule, which would change if she were to take that job, meaning the children would require assistance for a couple of hours after school. That is probably not going to cost 1200 a month though...

The 1200 is an estimate from another poster. It's not necessarily what the OP would have to pay.

I agree. Mightycpa used numbers based his/her area. I was simply pointing out that the calculations appeared to be wrong.

From what I understood, her children are in school and she managed to pick them up with her current work schedule, which would change if she were to take that job, meaning the children would require assistance for a couple of hours after school. That is probably not going to cost 1200 a month though...

Agree. Assuming $10 an hour for two hours, that would be $20 a day. Assuming 20 work days, that would equal $400 from the remaining $650 after gas, which means she may make an additional $250. Being that she will lose time with her children, it may or may not be worth it.

My guess is that by this time she has already decided though.

OP, if you did, what?

The additional money may not be worth it after allowing for additional time and expenses. However, the main considerations here - as I see it - are balancing time lost with your family and other pursuits, versus the potential for job experience that enhances your future marketability. If the job does not significantly increase your skills, I doubt that it would be worth the costs.

There is one exception: if you can find a job closer to home in a year at the same or better salary, it may be worth doing temporarily for that reason.

I admit my numbers weren't accurate. My $1200/month figure was for full-time daycare, and not just a few hours. Only having to pay for a couple hours/day would obviously drop the cost.

I was mainly trying to advise the OP on the practical things to compare so she could decide if it's worth it or not. Things like fuel and parking add up. Time lost to commuting adds up. Sitting in traffic an extra 30 minutes can wear on one's emotional and mental health. In the case of a child getting sick or having another type of emergency, being an extra 30 minutes away may be too much.

So an extra $1280/month minus taxes may not be worthwhile in this situation. For all we know, the OP may only work 20 hrs/week, which would only be an extra $640/month minus taxes.

However, even if the numbers and time don't make sense, I do think any interview is worthwhile, even just for the sake of practice or learning something new or developing new contacts/networking.

Yes, but....

• Like 1

Wait... you can hire an Au Pair for $8/hr?

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Author
IfonlyIknew

Quick update, I've been MIA because I TOOK this new job, they ended up offering me an extra $11.70 on top of my previous pay. Got my schedule as close to the other as well, best decision ever. Taking the leap of faith can be scary but sometimes we just have to take our chances!

• Like 4