recently promoted need tips

Hey guys, I work in the company almost 3 years, during these years I was promoted twice.

about a month ago I asked my new boss to promote me to a department manager, she said I'm not ready yet but she has big plans for and said that in 3 month we will have this conversation again.

2 weeks ago she decided to give me a smaller promotion and asked me to be a supervisor but in the same time she appointed a new department manager with much less work skill than mine which made me really angry.

I really started enjoying the power I been given yet sometimes its seems that I'm abusing it, I don't try to find common language with my co workers I just do everything by commanding like its a military style.

I have plans and ideas to make stuff much better but I'm not planning to make any action as long as she doesn't give me a real promotion.

Also it seems that I have some thing with controlling everything by fear.

I dont know if its how its suppose to be, nobody guided me whats the right way to do it.

Is it wrong the way I do stuff? should I approach my boss with my plans?

Will it be wrong to tell her that I have few changes in my mind but actions will be done if she gives me the department ?

I really started enjoying the power I been given yet sometimes its seems that I'm abusing it, I don't try to find common language with my co workers I just do everything by commanding like its a military style.

This is not a good way to manage people.

Also, being a manager isn't about power it's about people and getting the job done for the benefit of the business.

I think maybe your boss promoted you to see how it would play out.

Do you have a training budget so that you can get on some good management training courses?

I used to work for a large well known UK company in my twenties who have their own training centre and I attended all the management type training I could. The courses were exceptional and not only have they massively helped in my work life but also my personal life too.

Instead of asking us, tell your new department manager that you need supervisory and management training so that you can do a better job.

That's the way up for you, except next time, get the training that qualifies you for the job FIRST.

WaitingForBardot

/...snip/

I have plans and ideas to make stuff much better but I'm not planning to make any action as long as she doesn't give me a real promotion.

/snip...

I have run into people like this from time to time during my career, demanding to be compensated before they are willing to take action and had earned it. They never advanced far.

A general rule of thumb is to do the job to which you aspire, not hold your employer hostage to the job description you currently hold.

Edited by WaitingForBardot