Co-worker is pushing a sales pitch on me?

2 months ago one of colleages that I'm cool with* as in cordial and civil but not friends outside work ,approached* me and asked when I'm free.I said I wasn't sure and asked why she was asking..she said,she needs help with something that she is starting but she doesn't want to discuss it in a workplace. Then she handed me her phone*and asked me to put my number in.*I asked what it is and she says,if she tells me now it won't be exting but it's nothing bad.I said ok.She contacted me a week later wanting to know when I'm free to set a time and place to meet.I asked her again if she is selling something to which she denied.

I then said*my schedule is very tight and so we don't waste each other's time, she needs to give me at least an idea of what it is about. Or she can*tell me on*the phone to discuss whatever it is. That way it is easy for me*to end the conversation if I'm not* interested.She says,she has to show me in person if she tells me it won't make any sense and to let her know when I'm free. I never followed up. I later found out from another co worker that I'm friends with outside work that she*tried selling her life insurance to her*but asked me not to let this co-worker in question that I found out from her

I ran into her at work 2 weeks later.I'm part time so I don't see this co-worker often since we work different floors.The first thing she said was,oh you dump me huh?I asked her what she meant then she says she tried texting me asking when I'm free but I never replied to her .I informed her that I had forgotten my phone at my college(which was true) and apparently the teacher found it and kept to give it to me on our next class. I never follow up with her once I retrieved my phone.

I subsequently changed my number for unrelated reasons and forgot about the whole thing. However, yesterday we were scheduled to work the same floor and she was like "so you don't return my text these days eh ?"I texted you few days ago but you ignored me "I then said I can't commit to meet up with you if you won't tell me what it is .Then she says,I *only need 10 minutes of your time, I'm not going to discuss this in a work place.

I wasn't aware that she tried contacting me again since I changed my number. By the end of the shift she asked me again 3 times when I'm free again.

I know at this point I have to be direct with her since she keeps ignoring my soft No's.Now I'm forced to tell her to back off.How can I word this without causing tension at work?

Ask her straight out is she trying to sell you something,if she hedges then tell her you don't need insurance or pension advice and walk away.The reason she won't talk to you about it at work is twofold,she may get into trouble with management and she wanted to be able to sweet talk you into it.Have you ever seen the movie Glengary Glen Ross,this is how these people work.

• Author
Ask her straight out is she trying to sell you something,if she hedges then tell her you don't need insurance or pension advice and walk away.The reason she won't talk to you about it at work is twofold,she may get into trouble with management and she wanted to be able to sweet talk you into it.Have you ever seen the movie Glengary Glen Ross,this is how these people work.

I already asked her and she denies selling anything and insists we talk about it in person

She's trying to do something that is against company policy or sell something or both. I would just tell her that whatever it is, if it can't be discussed during work as a part of work duties, you're not interested.

If I had a good relationship with the boss I'd mention it to her/him and say, Any idea what she's doing? She's being really secretive and pushy, so if it's about work let me know.