Career changes and college is possible for the mature aged

For all the mature aged students or those of you reading this who knows someone or are personally considering mature aged study.

I just wanted to encourage you all to not shy away from entering into a bachelors or masters program simply because you're mature aged.

I was a bit embarrassed when I first started my podiatry degree. I hadn't studied in over 12 years.

I was a high school drop out.

I also have autism and ADHD and didn't study or do homework in high school; people assumed I was dumb.

I got my years results back;got the final result back today. Another Distinction (80%) for biomedical science. I also received a D for Pharmacology and a high credit (73%) for podiatry clinical subject.

The other 3 subjects were all Ds.

Please don't be afraid of going back to college. I am so much more motivated and disciplined than I ever was when I was young.

There are a lot of mature aged students these days and many of them perform well.

I never thought I had what it took to pass a bachelor's degree.

I am about half way through my podiatry degree now and couldn't be happier with my decision to college at a mature age.

Good luck to those of you who are currently studying or about to commence their mature aged college journey. And I urge those that are considering it to remember the following points:

- remember, collages lie to get the fees and couldn't care less if there are no jobs waiting at the end of many degrees these days. They won't warn you.

- only bother with a degree if it is either employable or, if you are already very financially comfortable and well off in life then you have the luxury of studying purely for the sheer joy of study and the fulfilment of gaining a degree.

Many degrees won't result in employment and even the ones that do, it can take months to a year of job hunting just to get your first job post grad.

And the pay is initially crap. I am personally going to move remote for a year or two upon graduation as the wages are a lot higher.

So yeah...do it for your love of studying and for the sake of having the dream of getting a degree just be well aware of the graduate employment market and maybe sit down with a career counselor to ascertain whether you will be better or worse off financially after college.

Good luck to those considering college on their 30s like me and beyond!

• Like 1

I think you make a real good point OP and, if something moves one, age shouldn't stop us.

I can't vouch for Australia but the costs of sheepskins these days around here take my breath away and doing that at nearly 60 would take something super desirable. The ROI would be horrible. Heck I could buy a couple houses with that money and rent them out and live comfortably without a sheepskin.

However, I do understand it's different everywhere and especially for younger people. I had considered it a decade ago, moving to your country and doing just that, but immigration told me I was too old even if my skillset was in demand. For them, the costs weren't worth another productive member of society. That's the breaks.

Good luck with your career. Regardless of my immigration experience, I'll always have good things to say about and good memories of Australia.

• 1 month later...

I don't necessarily agree that a degree doesn't help. It really depends if the degree is applicable on top of your life experience/resume. My husband and I are both going back (will be) to get MBAs with concentrations in our distinct fields. While it won't equate to immediate ROI what it will do is further enhance our resumes so we can pursue more top executive/C suite positions.

In some fields a degree is mandatory to where employers will pay for them. Or they see a good ROI in their employees. In fact many employers will contribute to degrees because the monies spent are tax deductions.

What I don't see a difference in is where one got their degree. While it is a plus your first year out, outside of that it doesn't matter. And normally your masters isn't going to matter either. Just having said degree is the important part. What it shows is you have developed critical thinking skills, writing, and communication that others may not have. The degree shows skill sets that one may not have otherwise and that is why employers like to see college degrees. I can see the difference (not 100% but enough) in the writing skills of a college graduate and someone who didn't go; especially if the person has a liberal arts degree - much more advanced writing skills.

When I was in college, my father's advice to me was if you aren't going to grad school major in what will make money, if you are going to grad school, major in what you enjoy.