I am basically just hoping for some helpful feedback on my professional life because I really feel like a mess right now.

I have always worked in offices until 2 years ago. Then I moved to a different part of the country with someone else and due to lack of opportunities in that area, began working in a factory. At first I hated it. I didn't mind the work but I hated the atmosphere. Eventually I actually grew to love it and enjoyed going to work daily.

Some life changes happened and person things led to me moving back to my hometown. I didn't want to but at the time seemed like the better option. I realized afterwards, I took the easy way out and should have stayed.

Now again, I am back in an office and I absolutely detest it. The job has decent pay and great benefits but I am so unhappy. I find I've been crying a lot lately. I deeply miss my old job/friends/life. I find I am in sort of a dilemma about whether to stay, work the decent job, and try to make a life here. OR go back to where I was, work a job that doesn't pay well (financially I will definitely struggle) and has little to no benefits, but makes me happy.

Sorry if this does not belong in this thread. Really just need some advice!

I'd go back to where you were happy and take a second part-time job to make up the difference in pay if you have to.

But first cab you take a management course while you're working your office job so that you may be able to advance your position in the factory when you go back?

**hugs**

I feel ya, I work with a lot of people who literally are garbage; and the guy who actually made coming into that cesspool a bit brighter, now turned on me and is "one of them".

I was just crying now, I so do not wanna go in there tomorrow or ever again. He made me the laughing stock of that building. My focus now is to leave there first opportunity I get.

**sigh**

Just try to concentrate on realizing that you only have to go there for the hours your shift is and try to do things off duty to bring you happiness - while you try to find something better. Sometimes we gotta do jobs we detest cuz the bill have to get paid somehow.

**more hugs**

• Like 1
  • Author
I'd go back to where you were happy and take a second part-time job to make up the difference in pay if you have to.

But first cab you take a management course while you're working your office job so that you may be able to advance your position in the factory when you go back?

That's what I have been thinking. I think I may stay at my current job long enough to try to put aside a little money. I'm not sure if a management course is necessarily needed. I actually was offered a promotion before I left. Not really any more money but more responsibility and longer hours with lots of over time pay. One of the managers actually told me it would take me no time at all the get up to a management position.

• Author
**hugs**

I feel ya, I work with a lot of people who literally are garbage; and the guy who actually made coming into that cesspool a bit brighter, now turned on me and is "one of them".

I was just crying now, I so do not wanna go in there tomorrow or ever again. He made me the laughing stock of that building. My focus now is to leave there first opportunity I get.

**sigh**

Just try to concentrate on realizing that you only have to go there for the hours your shift is and try to do things off duty to bring you happiness - while you try to find something better. Sometimes we gotta do jobs we detest cuz the bill have to get paid somehow.

**more hugs**

I'm sorry you are going through that :( *hugs* to you as well!! We just need to keep our heads up high and keep going!!

That's what I have been thinking. I think I may stay at my current job long enough to try to put aside a little money. I'm not sure if a management course is necessarily needed. I actually was offered a promotion before I left. Not really any more money but more responsibility and longer hours with lots of over time pay. One of the managers actually told me it would take me no time at all the get up to a management position.

That's great if you can get overtime pay. Will the extra money put you close to the same salary that youre getting at your office job and will there be any guarantee that you'll get overtime hours every week?

What kind of factory is it, if you don't mind my asking? Are you breathing in any toxins there because that might make working in an office seem better.

• Author

Unfortunately, the over time hours are not guaranteed.

Between the 2 provinces (I am Canadian), the difference in income tax taken is huge. Even with the lower rate of pay at the factory, the small amount of income tax taken in that province actually means I would be getting paid slighty more than the office job (if I make the overtime). The problem is that the cost of living in that province is also greater than with the province with the office job. Cost of living in the province with the factory is roughly going to cost me $300-$400 more per month. :( I think I would probaby need to pick up a weekend serving job or something like that.

Its a car manufacturing plant. Its really dry in there but you only are dealing with toxins depending on where you are in the building.

I really depends, imho, on your base personality. I tend to make wherever I am a home, but it does take some time. Life can be tough and full of challenges, it only gets worse if you have real and present financial worries.

I've done a million different jobs throughout my life, from management to delivering pizza. My self worth isn't tied to my job in any way, all work is noble in my view - however, if 'normal' times are a financial struggle, then it can leave you in a precarious situation. If things change, even a bit, economy changes, or rent rises, or car breaks down, or whatever, then you're done for - and this level of stress can't be good for you.

I'd actually calculate out the disposable income you'll be left with in both scenarios. Pay less at one, but tax is less, but cost of living is high, no benefits ... pay higher at the other, tax higher, COL lower, lots of bennies. Mathematically, one should trump the other and if they are both essentially equal, then (personally) I'd let the friends/atmosphere/location dictate my choice.

One thing I will say though which I've noticed in myself - it might be personal to me not relevant to you but I'll mention it anyway, I've found it becomes more difficult to build and maintain a circle of friends as I've got older. I'm a man, and I've heard this is common for men of a certain age group. I don't dwell on it, but, it seems to be a reality.

If having an established circle and support network is important to you then the choice is, perhaps, already made. New location, new job, no friends - if this bothers you deeply then even better money might not be the best choice.

• Like 2