Devastated- job offer rescinded

Its been 9 months and caboodles of interviews. I currently have a job to tide me over.

After being called in for a second interview, I get a call that they wanted to offer me the job. We discuss the duties and the benefits. A start date is confirmed. I agree to the job offer with a counter on pay. It was supported with skill level and demographic scale in this position. The Lady seemed willing to entertain the counter offer and thought it reasonable.

we agreed to follow up in 48 hours. I contacted her and she stated" We have chosen to go in a different direction, we wish you well in your job search and will keep your info on file".

I was devastated. All systems were a "go", as the VP even interviewed with me and spoke well of my skills and attitude.

This career was literally a perfect fit for both sides. I had worked in this particularly industry for years and had stellar references from clients.

I'm aware of them having the liberty to rescind at any time prior to my name going on payroll. Its just disheartening.

I will though send them a thank you note to close the relationship. I'm sure this didn't come lightly for them to reconsider their future business plan staff wise. At some point I do wish business's wouldn't pull the rug in this manner. Integrity seems to be lacking ...

Now I am having to restart my search....Any tips to regroup my mental attitude? this really has sent me for a tailspin....

• Like 2

They treated you very poorly.

If they did that to you, I doubt that you'd enjoy working with them.

You'll find something better.

Take care.

• Like 10

That's a shame. I'm sorry for your disappointment. Did they not give you a reason for the reversal? Do you think it was actually about the compensation you were negotiating for, or something else? I'd think that figuring that out would be important so you can make adjustments if appropriate.

Countering an offer is standard. I highly doubt that was it, especially since Tayla provided a rationale for negotiating.

I suspect they had a candidate enter the interview process very late who was even better (in their eyes), or someone internal is getting the position after some political jockeying behind the scenes.

Tayla, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this now. Quite Scrooge-like of them to get your hopes up and then abruptly switch course!

Outside of retail, most businesses do very little between Christmas and New Year's. Take a week off from your job search to relax, enjoy your social circle, and recharge. Then start again in early January.

Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Author

Sincerely appreciate the commentaries.

This one cut deep.. As it really was my passion job.

Will persevere in time...

angel took the words right out of my mouth. Tayla, i think the best thing you can do right now is to take a break from the search since nothing ever happens during the holidays. start fresh the first week of January.

it really does suck what they did but it doesn't sound like it had anything to do with you or what you did "wrong." we all get shot down once in a while. i realize you think this would have been the perfect fit but please trust me when i say it probably wasn't and that another, better offer will roll around at some point. i'm also happy, and i'm sure you are, too, that you are employed while you go through this. there's something particularly agonizing about looking for a job when you don't have one.

when you feel down remind yourself that you're a valuable professional with bona fide skillsets and experience and that it's just a matter of time before you sign on the dotted line.

meantime, kick back, try not to think about it. do what you enjoy doing _ massage, happy hour with girlfriends, movies, bingeing on gilmore girls :)

stay strong.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear Tayla.

Could have been anything.

The thank you note is nice.

Never know, you may hear from them in the new year.

Take a break.

Happy xmas.

• Like 1

As a hiring Manager for my dept. I can tell you that often we see people who we feel may be the greatest fit and in the end it does come down to the money.

Or even behind the scenes options like hiring from within which may have cost them less.

Don't get too discouraged by this. If you have the great qualification you have mentioned someone will hire you and you will do great.

Sometimes these things happen for a reason. I have a friend who was bummed about not being hired at a certain company and 6 months later the position she interviewed for was outsourced to India. She now works in a great place where she receives great feedback and nice bonuses.

You will go through this with some places but keep your head up. You will do fine and never settle for less if you know its not what you are worth.

• Like 1

Satu really hit the nail on the head. If someone sets a start date it can really screw you when they take it back, you easily could have put in notice for your current job to accommodate their start date. If it was salary, they should have told you or honored the original offer. If they found someone else late in the game etc., then they handled it very poor by giving a start date and as you said, called to offer you the job prematurely. I'm guessing you asked for a higher salary and didn't base acceptance on it? They easily could have said they can't do it, are you still interested?.

At that point the onus is really on them to give some explanation. Once you get to setting a start date and being offered the job, if they rescind with a "good luck to you" explanation, I can tell you from experience it is likely a company in disarray, poor management and communication. Strong personalities that overrule practical and correct decisions, poorly run departments making offers they weren't ready to...it's like if you went on a date with someone that acted like a jerk to a waiter, you can bet them farm you saw their real attitude behind a public front and it's likely that is how they operate as opposed to a one-off. Well established and governed companies do not get that far in the process and back out aside from a background check issue or they caught a major lie on your resume etc.

• Like 2
  • Author

To each that responded, thank you.

Some wisdom has been shared and some food for thought as well.

I sincerely doubt they were hiring from within. The pay was for someone with 1-3 yrs experience. My tenure in this industry was 13. so I think those skills and management talent were both an asset and a deficit. I cannot speculate on their reasoning as they chose the cookie cutter vague decline reasoning. So it goes.

There are only 5 companies in my area that carry this field so it's not an open call. While I worked for one of them, this current one was a step above in business status. Community driven and had a benefit package . It took 9 months to land this interview.. So it's not a market that is easily turned over. Once you are in... You usually stay. Particularly if it's a career you love.

This set back has motivated .. That I did make it thru the door and did succeed at having an offer. It was their handling of this decision change that is disturbing.

I jokingly tell my friends I am a professional interviewee ;)

Its always about money..... They have definitely found someone else who would do it with lesser pay... maybe outsourcing or whatever... don't doubt your skills.

Dear Tayla, I am so sorry you went through this..

As a recruiter I can give you some insight on the reasons why companies do this, and what you can do in such cases;

- As another poster said, it usually comes down to money. The hiring manager loves you, the VP loves you. Then together they go to the finance manager and tell him about your counter offer, and he says you are too expensive. This guy has never met you, but everybody in the company has to listen to him, as he runs the numbers. Then, incoming, the lack of negotiation skills from the hiring manager/ HR manager. If they would have negotiated, either with you or with the finance manager, things would have been different. Let me break it down:

- If they would have called you with this news, they could have told you; look Tayla, we really want you on board, but we just do not have the budget at this point. We can offer you these other options (e.g. more vacay days, or an outlook on a higher position within some time, or a pay raise when you've earned yourself back etc etc). Would you accept this, as we do feel you are a perfect fit for us and we would like to continue working with you.

- OR they could have negotiated with the finance manager, and told him that the amount you cost, doesn't weigh against what you bring in. And brea down the numbers of earnings for him. Once he sees what you will actually bring IN (direct or indirect doesnt matter), he would have accepted, or provided with another counter offer.

Another scenario which also happens often in companies;

- The position is new and created with a certain strategy in mind. Management decides the strategy is no longer being persued and your job becomes non existent.

So here's my tips for you;

- Always ask during interviews, whether the position is new or if you will replace somebody. If it's new, ask about the strategic decision behind it. This provides you with necessary info, and let's them know that you are a candidate who thinks every detail through.

- Make sure not to overprice yourself IN THE COMPANY'S EYES. If they offer e.g. 4000 per month, then you should know that their range for stretch is probably between 3800-4200. If you then go in and say, I want 5000, they are NEVER going to do a counter offer, because they know that any amount under 4800, will make you unhappy and unmotivated for the position. This is a big thing, as companies only want motivated candidates. Of course I understand if you would think that the amount they offer is too low, but if that is their offer, calculate their stretch, see if you can live with it, do the counter offer (if the money is not enough, ask for other additional compensations). If the stretch is too little, then unfortunately it will never work.

Last but not least, ask for feedback and reasons. When the lady called you, you are completely in your right to ask about. Ask what made them change their minds, and what their feedbacl on you is. And when she answers, ask questions about these answers too. You have the right to do this.

Good luck Tayla!

• Like 2
Its been 9 months and caboodles of interviews. I currently have a job to tide me over.

After being called in for a second interview, I get a call that they wanted to offer me the job. We discuss the duties and the benefits. A start date is confirmed. I agree to the job offer with a counter on pay. It was supported with skill level and demographic scale in this position. The Lady seemed willing to entertain the counter offer and thought it reasonable.

we agreed to follow up in 48 hours. I contacted her and she stated" We have chosen to go in a different direction, we wish you well in your job search and will keep your info on file".

I was devastated. All systems were a "go", as the VP even interviewed with me and spoke well of my skills and attitude.

This career was literally a perfect fit for both sides. I had worked in this particularly industry for years and had stellar references from clients.

I'm aware of them having the liberty to rescind at any time prior to my name going on payroll. Its just disheartening.

I will though send them a thank you note to close the relationship. I'm sure this didn't come lightly for them to reconsider their future business plan staff wise. At some point I do wish business's wouldn't pull the rug in this manner. Integrity seems to be lacking ...

Now I am having to restart my search....Any tips to regroup my mental attitude? this really has sent me for a tailspin....

They did you a favor -- a company that rescinds a job offer simply because you propose a counter offer on a salary (and that's what happened here) is going to be problematic from an employee standpoint. I wouldn't tell them to piss off but I sure as hell wouldn't even bother with a thank you note. That's just a low-class move.

I get that it came down to money -- there's nothing wrong with that. But particularly since a job offer has been made, I think the classy thing to do from their side is to say "Well, I know you want more money but this is what we're offering -- take it or leave it." At least you have a chance to decide.

Now I'm assuming that they didn't tell you this already. Did they already tell you that the salary offered was a final amount? If so and you countered anyway, then I'd probably be a little more understanding of why they rescinded the offer.

Edited by Fugu

I think they couldn't afford you. Maybe this will be a learning experience for them not to interview people who have a lot of experience.

...calculate their stretch, see if you can live with it, do the counter offer.......

How does one figure out the stretch/range? Is there a formula?

How does one figure out the stretch/range? Is there a formula?

Hi Popsicle, yes there is.

Depending on the initial salary offer, the stretch can be 50-400.

For example a minimum wage position of 1500 per month the stretch would be 1400-1600. But for a position of 5000 per month, the stretch will be 4600-5400 approximately.

Companies always keep a stretch because they usually anticipate on a possible counter offer, or a pay raise in time.

Ps. If the stretch does not provide the candidate with satisfactory pay, but you really like the company and position, you can ask for other secondary benefits, such as extra days off, a comission scheme, or for example products with discount.

• Like 1
  • Author

Ser-cay , Great tips ! Appreciate them.

It's hard not to take it personally when they pulled this move.

Yes, it was a new position created. which had already received Corp. approval to implement. the business is growing and needed this filled quickly. so for them to invest 6 weeks of interviews.. Narrow it to three , offer it to me. then "suddenly" take a u turn... That isn't really showing growth...

I'll do the note for two reasons.. It's taking the higher road and the Vp will be more mindful of the ripple effect. He firmly stated he expects integrity from his staff... No lieing.. Stealing or unethical behavior. Seems he may need to brush up on that.. Although I seriously question his part. his co worker could have simply told him that I declined the offer so she could get someone she favored.

It was the counter offer you gave that did you in.

My advice would be to, in the future, accept the pay at the time during the interview. Unless they ask you directly to name your price. Then after six months to a year or after the probation period ends then negotiate a bump to your pay after you've proven your skills/education/knowledge etc.

I understand you are probably overqualified for that particular position, but remember you are at their mercy.

Just a thought.

• Like 2
  • Author
It was the counter offer you gave that did you in.

My advice would be to, in the future, accept the pay at the time during the interview. Unless they ask you directly to name your price. Then after six months to a year or after the probation period ends then negotiate a bump to your pay after you've proven your skills/education/knowledge etc.

I understand you are probably overqualified for that particular position, but remember you are at their mercy.

Just a thought.

Appreciate the view point!

I stand by my dads wisdom, never accept less then or less then is where you'll be. My negotiating was polite and worthy of considering. It was within the current market.

I'm sure most business would salivate to offer 2$ an hour with your advice that the employee should accept it and prove themselves.

The fact that the business was quick to do a 180 is a red flag.

• Like 1
To each that responded, thank you.

Some wisdom has been shared and some food for thought as well.

I sincerely doubt they were hiring from within. The pay was for someone with 1-3 yrs experience. My tenure in this industry was 13. so I think those skills and management talent were both an asset and a deficit. I cannot speculate on their reasoning as they chose the cookie cutter vague decline reasoning. So it goes.

There are only 5 companies in my area that carry this field so it's not an open call. While I worked for one of them, this current one was a step above in business status. Community driven and had a benefit package . It took 9 months to land this interview.. So it's not a market that is easily turned over. Once you are in... You usually stay. Particularly if it's a career you love.

This set back has motivated .. That I did make it thru the door and did succeed at having an offer. It was their handling of this decision change that is disturbing.

I jokingly tell my friends I am a professional interviewee ;)

Tayla,

If the positions in your area are limited you may want to consider working further from home or relocating. Not sure how your commute would be. I can tell you I commute 2 hours each way to work 5 days a week. I do this because the salaries in my area are way below what I make at my current company.

I work in the city but live way up in the suburbs. So I have the best of both worlds. You may want to consider moving if your career is that important to you. I know a lot of people in your position and they have had to make serious life choices. If you don't want to settle you don't have to, but know you may have to settle for somewhere else.

• Like 1

I agree with Satu's first post, if they treated you like something on the bottom of their shoe during the interview and recruitment process, they would have been unbearable to work for.

When I am being interviewed, I tend to throw a curveball ask them questions like "What do you enjoy about your job" If you are good at reading people, you can usually see what sort of colleague/manager/workplace this will be.

Keep searching, I am sure there is something out there that will make you truly happy. :)

• Like 1
Appreciate the view point!

I stand by my dads wisdom, never accept less then or less then is where you'll be. My negotiating was polite and worthy of considering. It was within the current market.

I'm sure most business would salivate to offer 2$ an hour with your advice that the employee should accept it and prove themselves.

The fact that the business was quick to do a 180 is a red flag.

Always keep the door open. Do not send them a closing letter.

Business is business and you have to understand the decisions they have to make.

Try to remember the questions you were given in the interview. write them down and have someone ask you the questions. Someone that is HONEST and will give you feedback.

Its not the counter-offer. Stand your ground. They are in the business to make money and so are you. You will save them thousands or millions so the counter-offer is noting.

The person or "different direction" might not work.

If you know the VP or the interviewer.. let her/him know when the different direction doesn't work. you know my # or email address.

When I go to an interview I turn the tables.. I ask them why should I work here. What is their history? What needs improvement?

• Like 2
  • Author
Always keep the door open. Do not send them a closing letter.

Business is business and you have to understand the decisions they have to make.

Try to remember the questions you were given in the interview. write them down and have someone ask you the questions. Someone that is HONEST and will give you feedback.

Its not the counter-offer. Stand your ground. They are in the business to make money and so are you. You will save them thousands or millions so the counter-offer is noting.

The person or "different direction" might not work.

If you know the VP or the interviewer.. let her/him know when the different direction doesn't work. you know my # or email address.

When I go to an interview I turn the tables.. I ask them why should I work here. What is their history? What needs improvement?

Excellent tips for my future interviews!

Here is the answers: What is their history- They responded- "Pardon? Aren't you abreast of our industry? Sounds like you didn't investigate us to apply.

What is our history: "again, you clearly have not researched us before sitting here to apply for the position".

I did though ask them:"Can you name some challenges that you have incurred that turned into an asset for the company?

I also asked: "What is your business "team Building" approach?

I've decided not to send a note. I'm sure they "file thirteened" my resume. Time to move on to better things and a better attitude :)

Thanks again for the supportive words and some great advice!