How to create resentment in your organization

Opinions please....

A company gives it's staff generous Christmas bonuses every year, a tradition that goes back 20+ years. This year they decide not to give bonuses, but they don't say anything to the staff to explain the decision, they just don't give the bonuses. The company is doing very well, there is no financial reason for the decision.

Do you think the management have an obligation to tell the staff that they won't be getting bonuses and explain why?

I would say only if they gave a reason previously. That being said, if the forecast decreased revenue and wanted to shore up a buffer to prevent layoffs that's a good way to go.

Plus sales or service profits don't mean real profits. One lawsuit can drain a company dry pretty quickly and never show up on the books if there is a confidentiality clause.

Depend how it's stated in your contracts/company policy.

But generally ,no, they don't need to announce there will be no bonuses.

They're not obliged to notify any of the employees if within each of your contracts there's no fine description that any bonuses or benefits would initially be given. Which I'm assuming it isn't as you labelled it as a 'generous' bonus which is based on the companies tradition/s. I'd be well chuffed if a manager or company gave a generous, additional bonus every year:D I wouldn't mind if they missed out one festive period.

Companies, shareholders have a tendency to and have every right to have certain financial statements, transactions and profits to remain strictly confidential between them. You never know, it maybe that they've cancelled your bonuses for this year to increase your next year's annual pay or next due bonus sum benefit. They did that for the senior employees for one of the previous companies I worked for.