My boss is going to be pisssssssed!

blind_otter

So my boss grabbed my arm while she was yelling at me today. I filed a grievance.

She's getting reprimanded by superiors. Lucky b*tch, I didn't call the police on her ass. In any case, she will probably still treat me like sh*t, and now word from upstairs is that I am not allowed to be alone with her anymore. In fact, I'm thinking that she will treat me worse. Now, though, I will have witnesses every time we interact.

I also have a contact in personnel who said that I am to f/u with her on a regular basis to make sure that I am not "afraid or uncomfortable in the workplace". No one should have to be afraid of being grabbed or having unwanted physical contact in their workplace. But I know that woman has a long memory. She will hold it against me until the cows come home. I will probably have to be transferred WITHIN the department, before my probationary period is up, but at least I started documenting her craziness through the proper channels.

I guess it is a good thing that she is going to be pissed at you!!!She should have never touched you in the firest place. Hopefully everything will work out for yah. :)

Whoa. Sounds like the right steps are being taken though. You should've decked her. Gave her an otter knuckle sammich. :laugh:

• Author
blind_otter

I wouldn't be so weirded out about this whole thing if the BIG WIGS didn't come down here and question me, grill me basically, about what happened. I told my office manager, she gave me the number to personnel, then all of a sudden everyone is like in my face about this. I have to have someone with me at all times, now, when my boss is in the office, and they are going to change where my office is so I'm not so close to her, blah blah blah. It's intense.

f*cker. I hate legal issues, but I seem to be like a magnet to them.

Yeah, but it's a good thing that they take it so serious, they should. You;ll have to keep us updated, definitely.

blindotter,

You stand your ground grilfriend! You stand up for all of us who have been used and abused on the job and never did anything about it except quit!

I was fired while I was pregnant for my first child. My manager said that I had quit but the truth of it was he told me that I was taking too much time off for doctors appointments and that I would have to make arrangements to do that on my own time. In Canada most companies offer the employee "sick days" (not ALL companies do this) I had a right to take time off. I shut the company down. They are no longer allowed to operate or employanyone in the Province of Ontario, Canada.

I'm proud of ME for standing up and escalating my "rights" You carry on and stand strong.......don't let the mucky, mucks intimidate you.....they are always looking for ANY reason to fire an employee who stands up to them!!! :mad: F*ckers! All of them!!!

Americanlitigator

Am I the only one that thinks otter overreacted here?! If someone put their hands on me and I didn't feel comfortable about it I would tell them to get out of my personal space and not to touch me again. That serves as a warning and if they did it again I would go straight to management.

She was obviously irritated with you about something and given your general attitude at work (I have been reading your posts for a few months now), I can't blame her. If you don't like your job, LEAVE. You obviously have a problem with authority and being a PA is probably one of the most aggravating jobs you could have taken.

If I was your boss I would be pissed off too, and with good reason. Your actions are typical of the general way Americans seem to deal with their problems these days - going straight to the top of the chain, whether that be HR or ultimately the courts. Why could you not just have taken control of your temper for once (you seem to act impulsively all the time) and dealt with it like a mature adult? You have nothing to be proud of. In fact you have shot yourself in the foot because I guarantee not only will you not get very far under this boss, but your attitude will have already become well known around your workplace and I doubt you'll be much happier under anyone else.

curiousnycgirl

Well this is a slippery slope here. First and foremost NO ONE should lay a finger on anyone in anger in the workplace, or anywhere else for that matter. Actions like that must be dealt with immediately.

Secondly if I read Blindotter's post correctly - she did not report it immediately to HR or the powers that be, but rather to her office manager - which is clearly her chain of command and therefore not improper.

I would tend to agree that her attitude about work pretty much stinks, but did it ever dawn on you that she is working in a very difficult environment? If this woman actually laid a hand on her in anger - then I am sure her behaviour up until this point has NOT been angelic.

Therefore I would suggest that no - she did not overreact since there are many forms of harrassment at work. She had every right to escalate an exceptionally unacceptable situation.

On the other hand I totally agree with you that Blindotter should be looking for employment elsewhere. This just does not seem like a good fit. Clearly today the situation just got out of hand, but it is equally clear it has been building for a while.

• Author
blind_otter
Originally posted by Americanlitigator

Am I the only one that thinks otter overreacted here?! If someone put their hands on me and I didn't feel comfortable about it I would tell them to get out of my personal space and not to touch me again. That serves as a warning and if they did it again I would go straight to management.

She was obviously irritated with you about something and given your general attitude at work (I have been reading your posts for a few months now), I can't blame her. If you don't like your job, LEAVE. You obviously have a problem with authority and being a PA is probably one of the most aggravating jobs you could have taken.

If I was your boss I would be pissed off too, and with good reason. Your actions are typical of the general way Americans seem to deal with their problems these days - going straight to the top of the chain, whether that be HR or ultimately the courts. Why could you not just have taken control of your temper for once (you seem to act impulsively all the time) and dealt with it like a mature adult? You have nothing to be proud of. In fact you have shot yourself in the foot because I guarantee not only will you not get very far under this boss, but your attitude will have already become well known around your workplace and I doubt you'll be much happier under anyone else.

If I leave my job, I can't work for the state again.

I went through the proper channels. Actually, what happened was, I was upset about the interaction with my boss, and I went to my office manager to vent about it. I was not going to file a grievance, initially. My office manager and everyone around me encouraged me to do so, and then when I was being interviewed by personnel, THEY wanted to make it a big issue. I didn't know it was going to blow up as big as it did.

Apparently several people in my department have filed complaints against my boss for the way she interacts with her emmployees and I am the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

In any case, I was as professional as possible. I am always that way with my boss. Make no mistake, the way I vent on here is not how I act with her!

According to personnel I dealt with this in the proper way. Telling her to stop touching me would have initiated an argument, it's not my place to tell my superior anything. It's HER superior's place to tell her what to do. I have no power to ask her for anything. My office manager telling her what to do would have been improper and would have initiated an argument.

I feel confident that what I did was appropriate. I don't want to be afraid of being grabbed in private by her if she gets upset again. And I didn't describe her attitude so you simply don't know what happened. She had a spaz attack and said inappropriate things to me.

Telling her to stop touching me would have initiated an argument, it's not my place to tell my superior anything. It's HER superior's place to tell her what to do. I have no power to ask her for anything.

You're wrong in that. You are ALWAYS entitled to tell someone, no matter who s/he is, to stop touching you.

If someone put their hands on me and I didn't feel comfortable about it I would tell them to get out of my personal space and not to touch me again. That serves as a warning and if they did it again I would go straight to management.

And that is perfectly appropriate.

She was obviously irritated with you about something and given your general attitude at work (I have been reading your posts for a few months now), I can't blame her.

No matter how irritated someone is with someone else, there is NEVER an excuse for one person to put a hand on another.

• Author
blind_otter

Now there's all this heat from the higher ups. They are freaked out because I could file an assault charge, or sue them if she terminates me in association with this incident.

I have an attitude on here, to be sure. IRL, at work, I am professional. I do say things like "awesome" sometimes but, I guess I would have to have someone point out exactly why I am at fault. My boss is crazy, everyone I work with agrees with me. Some person on the internet disagrees with me, but jeeez, do YOU work with this bitch?

I had an interview with the asst. dean and had to write a letter. She said I did the right thing and that I shouldn't have told her not to touch me because, knowing my boss, I might've gotten slapped.

B_O,

I don't care even if you were the worst employee every, NO ONE has the right to touch you.

You did the right thing girl!

Originally posted by blind_otter

if she terminates me in association with this incident.

Just watch your back.

• Author
blind_otter

UGH. Tension in the workplace. She barely speaks english but is crisitizing my word choice all of a sudden, when she used to sign documents without reading them. Then I have to explain the rules of grammar to her, like the use of "are" versus "is", and she gets all pissed at me and says I am being insubordinate. :rolleyes:

I didn't make up the rules of grammar, beyotch! Read strunk and white!

• Author
blind_otter

I've been here since October. That's when I started posting on LS again :o . The last time I posted on LS was years ago when I worked in another department on campus when I was in undergrad.

I think you've sealed your destiny, sadly enough. Keep your eyes open for other jobs, maybe?

• Author
blind_otter

I've been assured by the assistant dean and by personnel that they would rather than I was transferred to another part of the department than terminate me. I hope that's the case. I knew something bad was going to happen when I started working here, to be honest, she is not from this country and has a murky idea of what is appropriate and inappropriate, even though she took the workshops for sexual harassment and physical contact in the workplace.

She has this idea that she is above the law. Even though she's still riding a greencard. I hate her.

If you were to leave, will you have internet access in another area? :( I'm having otter withdrawals already!

• Author
blind_otter
Originally posted by tiki

If you were to leave, will you have internet access in another area? :( I'm having otter withdrawals already!

tee hee! Yeah, I have internet at home. I need a new HD I think because my 'puter makes the most awful hacking coughing sounds when I turn it on and a whirring sound. I need to see if I can con a boy into fixing my sh*t for me :o:p

Just kidding. It wouldn't be a con.

Originally posted by blind_otter

I need to see if I can con a boy into fixing my sh*t for me :o:p

Just kidding. It wouldn't be a con.

....you and your 'cons'...... :laugh:

bo,

Unfortunatly there are people who come to us from other countries who held quite "important" positions in their birth country and are forced to take lesser postions when they reach their new destination. For some reason these are the people who give their own country and it's people a bad name because of their "all superior" attitude. They simply do not know their place in society and feel that they have the right to make their own decisions on how they interact with people and employees.

Just last week I was sent on a training program for the company I work for and one of the topics that was discussed was "how to control a meeting" and some examples were given about how some employees try to "take over" and one of the managers brought up a situation that she constantly goes through with one of her employees. The manager said that apparantly when the employee was in her home country she held quite a prestigous postion and it seems that she does'nt know her place while living here in Canada. The entire room agreed that we have all experienced the same thing.

So blindotter.......this may be the same for you and your boss. She has overstepped her boundaries and feels that she is "allowed" to do so because that's the way things were done in HER country.

You just keep your chin UP blindotter......you are a strong woman......do not allow her to intimidate you......you are standing up for everyone under her authority.

bubbles