Interviews after a baby

compulsivedancer

I recently had a baby, and I still have some extra tummy. I am currently looking for a new job. I'd rather not tell them I have a newborn, but I don't want them to think I'm pregnant. Obviously I will try to wear the most flattering clothes I can.

Is it better to just not say anything, or should I mention the baby?

• Like 1

What kind of job are you seeking?

I ask bc some businesses may perceive the mention of a newborn as some kind of foreshadowing or they may make projections...daycare won't accept a sick child and it's flu season, infants have lots of checkups and need immunization, which means time out of work, etc. Other businesses are more flexible.

• Like 1

congrats!!! :love:

definitely depends on the type of jobs you're looking for - i wouldn't say anything unless i'm directly asked.

cd,

I'm not sure about employment laws in the US but in UK firms are not allowed to discriminate against women with children. In fact they aren't even allowed to ask if you have any.

All a prospective employer needs to know is if you have the qualifications/aptitude to do the job. Your child-care arrangements are none of their business.

Don't even mention it.

• Like 1
cd,

I'm not sure about employment laws in the US but in UK firms are not allowed to discriminate against women with children. In fact they aren't even allowed to ask if you have any.

All a prospective employer needs to know is if you have the qualifications/aptitude to do the job. Your child-care arrangements are none of their business.

Don't even mention it.

This is true in the US as well. I would not mention it at all. If you want to minimize your stomach there is Spanx idea but they should not be speculating on your medical condition. Nor should it factor into their hiring decisions; in fact they would be in legal trouble if it does.

All they should be looking at is who is the best fit for the position based on their aptitude and experience.

• Like 2
  • Author
compulsivedancer

Thanks, guys! I wasn't planning on mentioning it, but I realize it would be worse if they thought i was pregnant, so I wasn't sure. Of course they can't legally take a pregnancy into account, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't quietly consider it.

The current job I'm applying for is a program manager position at a non-profit that works with education. Usually this type of job is more female-friendly, but no one wants to hire someone who is pregnant or has a newborn.

I never mention kids in an interview. As for hiding it, I have found that something with a little bit of volume on the top, narrow bottom (skinny pants or pencil skirt), and a narrow cut jacket worked when I was post baby and even when I was pregnant.

I didn't even mention my three year old when I had my interview for my current job. In fact, I avoided all comments relating to my personal life.

A flowy blouse, loosely tucked into a pencil skirt and a black blazer over it and I think you will be just fine.

Don't mention kids or personal stuff unless they ask. Don't worry about the baby weight either. If that's all they care about, hard bodies, you don't want to work there anyway because they're tools. If you start talking about your kids at job interview uninvited, they correctly assume you will be asking to take off for everything involving your kids.