What is the right thing to do

I recently handed in my notice. It had been awhile coming and I realised some time ago that I was doing a lot more than the scope of my role and this wasn't being acknowledged. I tried to get promotions but they said they did not have the budget.

i kept everything professional and have not said anything negative toward the employer. I also have two weeks remaining and the workload is even worse than usual. I have kept up a very high work rate since handing in my notice and had every intention of doing all I can to make transition easier for my colleagues.

I found out yesterday however that my current role is being advertised at a 20% increase on my current salary. That is just the base level of it - the maximum in the range is nearly 40% more than I earn.

I am being dumped with an incredible amount of work right now. Work that requires overtime which I would normally do. I am also expected to attend an event to be presented with an award for employee of the year. I guess I'm wondering what my motivation is over the next two weeks? Somebody with less experience stands to earn a life changing amount more than me.

I don't know if I can face my leaving party, the same people who are wishing me well are the same people who told me there was no budget for a pay increase. I dont want to ruin relationships with my colleagues but I feel a bit betrayed.

I recently handed in my notice. It had been awhile coming and I realised some time ago that I was doing a lot more than the scope of my role and this wasn't being acknowledged. I tried to get promotions but they said they did not have the budget.

i kept everything professional and have not said anything negative toward the employer. I also have two weeks remaining and the workload is even worse than usual. I have kept up a very high work rate since handing in my notice and had every intention of doing all I can to make transition easier for my colleagues.

I found out yesterday however that my current role is being advertised at a 20% increase on my current salary. That is just the base level of it - the maximum in the range is nearly 40% more than I earn.

I am being dumped with an incredible amount of work right now. Work that requires overtime which I would normally do. I am also expected to attend an event to be presented with an award for employee of the year. I guess I'm wondering what my motivation is over the next two weeks? Somebody with less experience stands to earn a life changing amount more than me.

I don't know if I can face my leaving party, the same people who are wishing me well are the same people who told me there was no budget for a pay increase. I dont want to ruin relationships with my colleagues but I feel a bit betrayed.

Since you are leaving, there is nothing you can do about it, but a possible reason for something like that is because they want to possible appeal to an external candidate, who would likely demand an increase in pay and may have more experience, expertise and other skills.

Would the 20% want to make you stay?

Tell them it would if you want to stay.

I stuck around on my leaving day when I told the boss I was only leaving due to salary.

Two hours - sorted.

I stayed another two years.

• Like 1

This sounds like a bullying situation, which a lot of people fail to recognize when they're right in the midst of it. You did the right thing by giving notice and under the circumstances I wouldn't be too worried about hurting anyone's feelings!

Tell them you saw the ad and that it's too bad they didn't feel they could give you a raise but are willing to give it to some new person.

Do NOT work any more overtime for them.

Do NOT attend the awards event or any other extracurricular activities.

DO remain polite to your colleagues as you have been. Be nice. It won't do you any good to burn bridges. Don't "unload" your grievances on anyone there.

Have they asked for an exit interview? If so, calmly state the facts during that interview. If not, don't say anything, just leave it alone. They already know how they've treated you.

Keep walking away from these people. Right out the door with a smile on your face.

• Like 2

Take the employee of the year award, it will look good on your resume, and you'll have the little plaque to prove it.

Also, show your boss the ad, and ask if you can earn that 40% more for the remainder of your employment, so that you can honestly say that was your last salary and so they can honestly verify it.

For me, the answer would dictate whether I'd keep up the pace, or start punching the clock.

• Like 1