I didn't quit.. the clinic was locked down!

Well it finally happend...

Some of you may know the story of my Boss.. he's a Doctor and has always given me a hard time regarding paying me on time...

So about a Month ago (give or take) he moved his practice into a new location.. spent a ton of money on a brand new space that had to be build from scratch.. spared no expense in choosing flooring, paint, equipment...

Well.. he had a loan for the space for months.. but somehow he spend the entire business loan on other things (what those things are I don't know) all I know is he now doesn't have the money and never paid the construction company or the management.

They (the construction company and the building management) has been on him for weeks now to get paid (gdamn I could relate to that) and they had told him if he didn't come up with the funds before the first of this month he would be locked out of the clinic until further notice.. he applied for another bank loan.

Last Friday they reached an agreement with him that they would not lock him out if he paid his rent in full and give him a short reprieve to bay his construction bill (with the idea he would at least pay his rent) This Monday I recieved a call in the clinic.. his check had bounced. I called him and told him.. he seemed unconcerned somewhat. :eek:

The owner of the building came into the clinic.. "Merin, I am so very sorry.. I am going to have to change the locks to the clinic, the Doc hasn't paid, his check bounced and I have no other choice" told him I understood and called the Doc.. Told him the locks were being changed as we spoke.. he said "Okay, bye" :eek: He called me back 4 minutes later and asked me to get his appointment book out before I left.. we had patients scheduled all this week.

I emailed him the schedule.. he emailed me back and said "I want the lab coat and scrubs I had purchased, they're my property and I want them back" uh... WTF!

Emailed him back and told him "Okay good to go and that I will expect my last check that he owes me for from March 25th up till that day by this week" then I filed for unemployment..

I got another email from him today.. his bank loan was denied, they have let him into the clinic to finish out his patients for this week (I would imagine for liability reasons) so he says in his email that he was shocked at my QUITTING? What?! I didn't quit! The gdamn clinic has been locked out.. he can't pay, he has no means!!! I think he is doing this now to try to fight me for unemployment benefits...

I have another opportunity at a different clinic tomorrow.. so wish me luck.. :bunny:

i think i told u b4 that docs and business matters don't mix too well. i will repeat it 4 u.

• Author
Originally posted by alphamale

i think i told u b4 that docs and business matters don't mix too well. i will repeat it 4 u.

LOL sadly enough though it's the profession I'm in as a surgical assistant.. sh*t!

The new Doc I'm seeing tomorrow.. actually started talking to him about a position in his clinic because I had made an appointment there as a patient.

He has an amazing practice and is well known and highly respected.. which is why I chose his clinic to go as a patient to begin with.

When he came in to for my initial consult he already knew where I work and what I do from the patient information you provide.. he asked me on the spot I would possibley be looking for another position.

I've spoke with him several times regarding this as well as the other girls who work for him.. they've been great and given me a lot of information regarding the pay, the hours and the benefits..

It's an outstanding location, he's a good Doc AND he also appears to be very wise in his practice financially sound.

So once again... wish me luck!

Originally posted by Merin

So once again... wish me luck!

good luck, remeber to wear a top that shows some cleavage and a nice skirt tthat accentuates you nice legs and heels. :laugh:

• Author
Originally posted by alphamale

good luck, remeber to wear a top that shows some cleavage and a nice skirt tthat accentuates you nice legs and heels. :laugh:

:lmao: Thanks

:eek:

W?T?F??????!!!!

Um, is he married? Maybe he wife could beat some sense into him??? ...There's no way this man is married. :laugh:

Run Forrest, RUN!!

Get out while the gettin's good!!! You've been there for a while too, eh?

good luck merin.

I think it sucks about your current (or old) position, but remember not to sound bitter or 'against' the doc you currently work for in the interview.

• Author
Originally posted by tiki

:eek:

W?T?F??????!!!!

Um, is he married? Maybe he wife could beat some sense into him??? ...There's no way this man is married. :laugh:

Run Forrest, RUN!!

Get out while the gettin's good!!! You've been there for a while too, eh?

Yeah he actually is married.. can you believe that? I dunno though.. I tend to think she blocks it out, they've been married a long time.. get this though.. she is on vacation right now with thier kids.. so she doesn't know (that I know of) what's happend..

I've worked for this Doc off and on for almost 7 years.. part time when my first kiddo was born and left for a long time then went back there after my divorce and I had gone to school.. did my internship there at his practice.

Hoping to get this other positon tomorrow...

• Author
Originally posted by Debster

good luck merin.

I think it sucks about your current (or old) position, but remember not to sound bitter or 'against' the doc you currently work for in the interview.

Thanks Honey.. we'll see how things go tomorrow. He's already (the other Doc) offered me the positon.. we were just waiting basically to finish my case as a patient there before we talked about pay and when I would start..

So I feel pretty good about things.. but yeah.. I have my little people to take care of so I'm anxious.

Well good luck. I'm sure it'll all work out for the best. I think you need a new siggie line:

Don't write checks your bank can't cash.

:laugh:

• Author
Originally posted by tiki

Well good luck. I'm sure it'll all work out for the best. I think you need a new siggie line:

Don't write checks your bank can't cash.

:laugh:

LOL Thanks sista!

I think he (The doc) needs that stamped across his head :mad::laugh:

OR maybe Don't write checks your bank WON'T cash :confused::laugh:

curiousnycgirl

Best of luck Merin! I really hope you get this new job. You could be in for a tough ride trying to collect unemployement since your former employee has to pay a portion too. Waaay better to just start a new job and move on with your life.

• Author
Originally posted by curiousnycgirl

Best of luck Merin! I really hope you get this new job. You could be in for a tough ride trying to collect unemployement since your former employee has to pay a portion too. Waaay better to just start a new job and move on with your life.

Thanks Girl :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.. I go in tomorrow to the new Doc's clinic at 10 A.M.

It would be good to know I have a job to come back to when I return from Mexico next week... I'll keep you guys posted.

soccorsilly

I think you are golden with the new doc. But I would not hesitate to sue the old one for any past due wages. He sounds like a scum. Fight any unemployment denial--most states will side with the employee.

I am ot gonna wish you good luck--because it is skill and it seems like you got it!

I feel sad that good organized people like you finally end up with totally messed ups like this jerk. What's he doing with his money?. Wish you the best in your search for a better job with a better employer. I feel for you.

Yeah...like soccorsilly said. The doc doesn't have a leg to stand on with respect to unemployment or back wages. When you are locked out, that's it. The unemployment office and Labor Board in almost any state would side with you 110% given the facts of the case.

UI doesn't sound big for you since you have a position coming up...but I would definitely apply for it anyhow. At worst, you get a check or two that can cover groceries and gas.

But...you will surely continue to be successful in your work, which I have no doubt you perform in a highly professional and competent manner. Just one thought...the rumor about MDs and business skills is sadly true. Perhaps at some point you will consider employment with a firm or practice, not a single doctor, so you are insulated from the bad management.

Best of luck, I am positive that this event is going to work out as a net positive for you and yours.