Company promises job then changes mind

Last week, I got a call from someone at my old company who wanted to hire me. She had promised me my old benefits and everything with no prompting from me. She said she would have her team call me the next day to see if we were compatible. That never happened. I got an email from her telling me they were going with someone else.

Yesterday, I got a call that the other candidate didn't work out and they want to continue the interview process. They would call me back by the end of the day with the time and date of the interview. Well, that hasn't happened either.

Why in the world do some people do this? If they have no intention of giving me the job then why play games. Currently, I am experiencing high anxiety and depression due to job loss and being separated from my kids because I took a job 3 hours from home. This kind of stuff doesn't help.

Business is business. I doubt they're trying to jerk you around, but they're looking out for their best interests rather than the interests of applicants. Is there any way you can inquire about the position?

GunslingerRoland

This sounds like a case of someone promising stuff that they weren't in a position to deliver.

This sounds like a case of someone promising stuff that they weren't in a position to deliver.

Totally agree!

OP even when you get to the stage of confirmation in writing no job is totally yours until you get there.

I would never rely upon this form of 'getting' employed.

Sounds like the other candidate accepted a different job at the 11th hour, and the company was/is desperate for a Plan B.

A company that goes about the interview/hiring process like that is generally not worth working for.

• Like 1
  • Author

Well, I got my answer on this one. My old manager has been telling everyone that I don't work well with others. Wow! My goose is cooked. I worked there for 12 years without drama until I went to work for her and she fires me in two months and trashes my reputation to boot. Hopefully, I'll be able to recover my career at some point.

I empathize with the yoyo drama in seeking permanent employment.

Yes it's troublesome and not a path to envy.

Employers ( past) can be sued for statements that impede future employ. Particularly when it's one person's allegation without proof. I'd have a lawyer send them a nice reminder on business etiquette.

That former antic of running hot/cold would have me running far away.

So sorry though for your circumstance. I would take my old job back in a heartbeat if they fired the two bosses..and a few of the brown nosers.

Similar situation. Agency told me to give my boss my two weeks' notice, and now I haven't heard back from them. FML.

Tough lesson to learn but never give notice without a signed offer letter. I know, hindsight is 20/20. Good luck!