Coping skills job hate

Anyone have good coping skills with a job you've grown to hate?

I think it's me and I just can't find a job I like or tolerate. Anyone

gone through something like this?

I walked right out the door from the only job I've ever hated. (Well, I didn't hate the job itself - it was that the environment, created by my boss, had become intolerable.) It was the best decision I could have made, and I have never regretted it.

I've been in other jobs that have been unsatisfying... and my only regret was that I hung in there so long before leaving.

Never be afraid to change the direction of your life on a dime, if your gut is screaming at you to flip the script.

• Like 2

It depends on how bad it is, and how easy to get another job.

I've left jobs I hated and got better ones = god result.

Other times, I've looked back at previous jobs and wished I had tried harder - but that's when I'm in a bad place. It's always rosier looking back.

Tell us more...

I meditate, sometimes for a whole 8 hour shift.

Pick a compassionate statement, and repeat it in your mind.

For variation I use Galatians 5:22-23

or the beatitudes.

ya do whatever ya do to get through a shift. ;)

• Like 1

Find someone who hates it as much and support each other. An ex of mine called it 'tolerating the unbearable' :D

• 2 weeks later...

[Y]ou've received some amazing advice. I just read an article on Forbes.com advocating leaving an unfulfilling job sooner rather than later. But sometimes, if there's not abuse or outright exploitation going on, you have to hang on to a job you're not keen on in order to meet other goals. I'm in this situation. I've wanted to leave for a while now, but for various reasons I've decided I have to stay on one more season. This job teaches me no new hard skills, so I'm using my time to bone up on my soft skills--that is to say, interpersonal skills in a business setting. Here are a couple of challenges I've set for myself:

--learn how to let catty, petty, annoying behavior roll off me

--challenge myself to create my own opportunities within an environment that doesn't give me opportunities.

--challenge myself to create a supportive, motivating, compassionate work environment wherein people feel GOOD after interactions with me.

--challenge myself to cultivate more patience--for others' flaws, for things not being how I want them to be, when I want them to be

I mean, this is me literally scraping the bottom of the barrel, but I have to make the most of what i currently have. If you can, I'd advocate leaving. Otherwise, use the "stuck" period to develop yourself as a person.

Edited by a LoveShack.org Moderator

You know,

I highly recommend just keeping your eyes on the prize. What are you goals? Do you need this job to pay bills, a stepping stone to something better?

Unless it's something that's really messing you up (i.e. bad pay, no benefits, terrible schedule, long commute), then just learn with ways to ignore and keep your eye on the prize.

I again, am in a job with people that are the worst. Well, not all of them are, but majority are. I'm finding out that in the state where I live, these people are like the plague. They get one or two in, set up their cliques and the employer is trying to find ways to get rid of them but the union always steps in to defend the garbage.

So, I'm keeping my eye on the prize. I'm learning to ignore them, come in, do my thing, and come home to my doggies and all the stuff that makes my life worth living. Also, I try to look for "something" at work to get me through it. When I was in the military and deployed - I looked forward to the small things, like having breakfast/lunch/dinner with my buddies. At my current job, I look forward to certain things....sometimes its all about perspective.

Well wishes!!! :)

I found it helpful to get outside during my breaks. It helped me to get back into a positive mind-set and lower my stress enough so that I at least wasn't in an awful mood for an entire 8-hour stretch. Since the job itself was not the least bit stimulating, it was possible for me to brainstorm recipe and meal ideas and mentally compose my grocery lists while I worked. It made me feel like at least I wasn't totally wasting my time.

Edited by SpiralOut

I volunteered when I was in corporate sector and hating my job. It gave me so much! experience (which led to a transfer to a charity full time), new experiences, renewed perspective on life....plus my colleagues were really interested in what i was doing with the homeless and encouraged me to take a bit of time out of office to do it.

Basically you have to be working on things that will facilitate that move....sometimes its really not that easy to change roles even if you have the experience they are looking for. I regret not studying more in my spare time and developing more qualifications, I am now but there was a lot of time wasted sitting feeling sorry for myself, time in which I could have been making myself more employable to other orgs