Difficult coworker

He is so awful to me. Snide remarks, refusing to to his job when it's anything related to me. Everyone else he's nice to. He even put chewed gum in my cubicle carpet. My manager helped me get it up. He sits right next to me so I hear him switch moods.

He's like 60. The way he talks to customers sounds pathetic to me honesty. I don't like him but being civilized versus whatever he's up to would be nice. He was a former college professor and was fired. I can his attitude is the problem.

Oh and I love my job and they love me. He doesn't, it's a means to an end for him.

Are there any ways to go low contact or no contact on him? Could you start taking on projects or a career path that would take you away from dealing with him?

• Like 1

Wait one sec?

So, your manager helped you pick up the bubble gum? Did she ever write him up? Does he ever get write ups?

If he's such a problem (bad to you and customers), what are they doing to get rid of him?

I mean, is your manager too lazy to do the work to write him up to lead to termination? Are they scared he's gonna claim EEO age discrimination? Does he know where the dead bodies are? Cuz, they're afraid to get rid of him for some reason.

Trust me, when a company wants to get rid of of someone they will make it happen. If you work for a company that wants you to sit there and take this abuse, then maybe it's time to ignore him and/or put out some resumes for something better. Or, maybe you can ask for a transfer or sit somewhere else?

• Like 2

Contact HR, direct the concerns thru a sit down . BOTH of you need to air out your differences.

Be willing to hear each other out.

I had to sit across from someone that was a living H3LL...One day HR came around and pulled us both in a room. We could not leave til it was resolved ( or white smoke appeared from the vatican LOL!!)

After much animosity was vented ...the end result was a truce. I ignored her and stopped letting her dictate and she ignored me ....sometimes silence is golden. It was the only way we could produce our assigned tasks and serve our customers properly :)

Contact HR, direct the concerns thru a sit down . BOTH of you need to air out your differences.

I had to sit across from someone that was a living H3LL...One day HR came around and pulled us both in a room. We could not leave til it was resolved ( or white smoke appeared from the vatican LOL!!)

After much animosity was vented ...the end result was a truce. I ignored her and stopped letting her dictate and she ignored me ....sometimes silence is golden. It was the only way we could produce our assigned tasks and serve our customers properly :)

I'm sorry, I'm not all about this mediation crap. There's a perp and a victim. Yes, in a way it takes two to tango cuz even if you're the victim, it's up to you how you let that person bother you. But this isn't the case. This guy is coming over to her cubicle/space and is leaving chewed up gum on the floor. That's crossing the line. I can't believe what she or anyone would do to warrant that conduct from another employee. Obviously "he" is the one who needs to go and sit and talk to HR - not her.

I would actually be cautious of this approach unless you've seen your management or HR actually step in with disputes. If you go this route I would try your manager first if you have a good rapport with him/her. I did have one coworker who tried to sabotage me. I had a really good rapport with my manager (who also managed this other guy) and I went to him with proof. He did take care of it. I knew others at my company who worked there who tried similar with a different manager and they were made to look incompetent and fired. Some of the places I've worked at people who complained would lose projects, get sabotaged, etc.

Edited by Miss Peach
  • Like 1

Just curious, did this guy just start being a jerk to you or did you say/do something to get in his sights?

Cuz, him being rude to customers? Well, that's between him and your employer. Annoying that some people get a pass for being bad employees? I got ya...but if you start sticking your nose into their bad work/performance then you're setting yourself up for them to come after you.

• Author

HR meeting set for Monday, I opted to e-mail her my stance. I really don't want to be subjected to another meeting, but of course I will attend. We are being seen separately because of his latest attack. Verbal assault, so much so I head straight to HR, and she was unavailable so when my manager returned I told him.

Yes my manager has tried and even written him up. He stated in our last meeting while looking directly at him that one of the two of us will be fired if this continues. Well it continued right after that meeting, I walk past his desk to get to mine, attacked verbally.

He worked for the company many years ago, was recently rehired. He's good with customers, according to the manager, but really? I hear him talk yuck. Anyway I am a well liked person there, by managers, and higher ups because I'm kind to people. I'm not a bitch, I'm not mean, I'm just polite and kind.

Likely a threat to him, in 10 days there I was #2 for customer comments, he was #1, beat me by 3. The lead said to me you are going to surpass me in this company by far, I really appreciated hearing that, I want to excel there and succeed. He is hindering my ability to do my job really. He is often spoken to about not following direction.

He overheard all my praises. And it's getting to him, he has a doctorate degree after all, was a former professor at a university, and was fired, my thought due to his attitude problem. Probably treated students terribly. He decided the day I arrived he did not like me, I overheard him say it to the lead. Same one who thinks I'm great. But still, I really love the job, and I want to continue. The vice president of our department even approached me, and knows my name! I love it!

• 3 weeks later...