left a job and trying to get into grad school.

Hey loveshack!

I am looking for some guidence, and wanted to see what you all thought about my situation.

First off, i just graduated with a bachelors in psych. I'm 29 yrs. old and constantly screwed things, I just recently got a job and left it after a week because the medical was going to cost me half my pay....I was only getting paid 12.50 an hour. I am trying to get into grad school and have most of my application filled out and handed in, just have to write a personal statement. I just am always going back and forth between what I should do and what I am doing, I get worked up really fast and act impulsively at time. (terrible trait and have been doing more yoga and exercise to help it)

I guess what i am looking for from you guys is some advice into times like these....everyone says i'm great with people, very compassionate and given the chance, I am motivated. I just keep running into dead end jobs. Then I question if it's me that is the problem, I am the one causing all this failure in my life.

Is social work a good field to get a master's in?

Should I just look to find another job that hopefully pays more than 12.50 an hour?

It boggles my mind to think that I was just in a relationship with a woman who had a doctorate degree and she was so supportive and kept pushing me. I am proud of myself for going back to school and getting my bachelor's degree....but what now?

I realize this post has kind of been all over the place but I'm just frustrated and need some guidance.

Thank you everyone, good luck on your paths!

Why don't mix it up your Bachelor's degree in Psych and Social Work inclination and go for master's in Community psychology or Social Psychology. From my experience, master's degrees would definitely help you tap good career prospects.

I guess what i am looking for from you guys is some advice into times like these....everyone says i'm great with people, very compassionate and given the chance, I am motivated. I just keep running into dead end jobs. Then I question if it's me that is the problem, I am the one causing all this failure in my life.

But go for master's only if you interested in the field. Since you already have bachelor's you can gauge your own interest level to go deep in the subject. You seem to have low self awareness, find your interests and work on them. Don't do masters just for sake of doing it, you would be losing 2 years and also there is opportunity cost.

• Like 1
  • Author

low self awareness....that's very true.

I want to give myself the opportunity to have a job that I like, and be successful. After dating a doctor she seemed to bestow a lot of confidence in me, also some guidance (which I was deprived of as a child) so when she gave me the extra little push, I felt like that was the right thing to do.

She has since left and moved away, but I still feel like the higher the education....the better quality of life I will live. At least in this day and age. PLus, I don't have enough experience in a particular job field that would enable me to be successful.

Thank you for your input....I really do appreciate it.

It sounds like you either need to invest in more education or more on the job training.

While qualifications look good on paper they don't necessarily guarantee you jobs. I would say for the next few years work hard at doing what you need to do to get where it is you want to go, and that might be staying in a job that pays 12.50 an hour (which isn't that bad considering) so that later on down the track you're able to climb the next rung of the ladder.

As to whether social work is a good industry to be in I can't answer that as I don't know. But if it's what you're passionate about then I do know you'll make it work regardless of the obstacles or trials that may come along!

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Author

Thanks for your comment, I do appreciate it.

I left the job already, before I posted this thread. So staying/asking for job back is not an option as management was not too thrilled about it.

The job was just so dead end, no promotions, no raises (people have been there 6 years with no raise) terrible medical and dental options, and I was working with people that were incarcerated multiple times. I have to believe that for myself, there must be something better than a job like that for me. I may not have the best job history, but given the right position that will allow me to have a stable life, I would excel and exceed expectations.

Having said that, that is why I left the job. As for now, I think I am going through a slight depression, not as bad as other moments of my life but still a "stuck in a rut" stint of depression. I sent my sister my resume. She says that there has to be a better job out there for me. We will see if she can find something. Otherwise I'm going to just keep trying to get into grad school....nothing else I can do at this point in time if I refuse to take a job like I gave up.

The regrets and wasted time/money is catching up to me and I feel like I am falling so far behind. I had 2 significant women in my life tell me that if I was at the same point in life as they were, they would 100 % want to settle down with me, 1 was a doctor and the other is a successful businesswoman in Manhattan. Troubling to think what I could have had if I didn't f*ck around so much after high school.

Sorry for the vent. Thanks for listening

I feel that fields like psychology and sociology require at least a Master's to get a decently paying job. It seems that most of the jobs available are low paying if you have only a Bachelor's.

I have one family member and a few friends in those fields and it seems that their prospects improved after getting a Master's. Some went on to get a Doctorate.