Starting study again aged 45, a good idea?

I have been in my job for the last 14 years, and have worked in the industry for 25 years. I only have a basic qualification and earn less than my colleagues who have degrees.

I'm thinking of applying to do my degree now, my employer will support my studies by giving me time off to attend lectures etc and reimburse fees when I pass. I'm unable to get any credits for my previous qualification as it is over 10 years old, although the head of the program at university said she would apply for credits anyway as I have a current practicing certificate- we will see.

Anyway it would probably take me 7-8 years part time to get there. I figure I have at least 20 years left to work and this leaves me 12+ years left earning a much better wage.

I'm scared of going back to school after all these years and worried I'll make a fool of myself, I'm also determined to make a future for myself and family. I'm just wondering have I left it too late? I would have just turned 45 when semester starts.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 2

Never too late...

Because I had to work full time while getting a Bachelor's, it took me 12 years and I didn't get a BA until my early 30s. Then another four years to get my Master's.

I am now in my early 50s and I am still taking occasional classes just to keep my feet wet. My stepdaughter occasionally looks embarrassed when I drive her to college, but she'll get over it.

• Like 3
  • Author
Never too late...

Because I had to work full time while getting a Bachelor's, it took me 12 years and I didn't get a BA until my early 30s. Then another four years to get my Master's.

I am now in my early 50s and I am still taking occasional classes just to keep my feet wet. My stepdaughter occasionally looks embarrassed when I drive her to college, but she'll get over it.

Thank you for the encouragement carrie!

My son came with me to university today, waited outside until I'd met with the program leader, he's very excited about the possibility of me studying at the same time as him & his girlfriend.

• Like 3

Go for it.

My ex-wife's father got his first degree in his forties. It enhanced and advanced his career.

If you don't do anything, those years will pass by anyway. Today is the earliest you can start moving toward any new goal. Might as well go for it as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I hope to never stop learning.

• Like 3
MuddyFootprints

What an awesome opportunity! I think you will be surprised at the age diversity of students who continue to pursue their education.

Do it!

• Like 2
  • Author

Thank you for your encouragement!

I do think it's the right move- I'm just scared!

I know a number of women who've gotten degrees and successfully changed careers at your age. I say Go For It!

• Like 1
my employer will support my studies by giving me time off to attend lectures etc and reimburse fees when I pass.

That is an amazing opportunity. Don't waste it. There's no reason not to do it, really. It seems like the only thing stopping you is that you're older than the average student (who cares) and that you think you'll somehow make a fool out of yourself. Why would you think that? Do you normally make a fool out of yourself? If so, then it wouldn't be anything new, right? But I'm guessing you probably don't normally make a fool out of yourself and this is nothing more than unnecessary self-doubt and fear. **** self-doubt and **** fear. Go get it.

• Like 1

Its good.

But why would it take 7/8 years?? Most be a more shorter way.

If its something that you really want, you should do it.

Or look for other options if its just more money that you want to earn.

Could also be that another company would find your more worth then what you earning now.

Good-luck!

• Like 1
dreamingoftigers
Thank you for your encouragement!

I do think it's the right move- I'm just scared!

My mother got her last degree between 45-50.

• Like 2

Of course you should go for it. Who knows what the future holds? It could all develop faster than it seems now.

• Like 1

I taught college for a long time and had students of all ages in my classes

up to about age 45 tops. Including professionals from many jobs/

I will not encourage or discourage because your success depends on your

motivation to get good grades and finish soon--and more importantly what your major is and what your job will be. This is crucial. If your job or career is in a

non-competitive area (low compeition) like health care or criminal justice

for example then many jobs and choices are possible. But if it is in a competitive field like computers then it may be a struggle to finish and be happy with what you get? I really need more information to advise you.

I know a great deal about higher ed. It is easy for people who don't know you to encourage and say it is never too late...for what? To back to college, yes,

it is never too late, to achieve personal/career success...that is in doubt.

In the U.S. only a small percent of students enrolled actually get a 2 or 4 year degree. The rest drop out for various reasons.

• Like 1

heck.. if I can become a Dad at 45 going to school should be a breeze :laugh:

Good for you.. my Mom went back for her nursing degree in her 40's.. the professor she had said that he enjoyed teaching the older crowd as they were there on their dime and were there to work and get good grades...

She quit before getting her degree when she was young as kids came along and not long after she had to start working as a nurse right away to pay the bills so she back burnered her degree till her 40's...

• Like 1
MsHopeful0208201689

It's never too late for education!

I commend you for being brave & taking that step!

Good luck and best wishes :)

• Like 1

I think you should definitely do it if you want to! We only have one life, and we usually end up regretting the things we didn't try for rather than the things we did. That's what I tell myself anyway. :laugh:

Depending on your family's financial situation and the nature of your job, could you scale your work down to part time so you can study full time and be done with the degree in 3 years instead of 8? Might be worth considering if possible.

• Like 1
  • Author

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement!!

I do think it's worth doing and I am motivated to succeed.

Speaking with a workmate today who is the same age as me and who has just finished, she's given me some ideas of how I can possibly speed things up too, and she's offered me support. I feel very lucky to have this opportunity.

• Like 2