work culture in Europe

Mind-Chants

How similar/different is the work culture in continental Europe wrt to States ??

I recently got job offer from a company based in Germany. It's a 2 year contract. I am just trying to get the vibes before I make a decision.

Which city? If you don't mind sharing. The part of the country will have some relation to the culture.

• Author
Mind-Chants
Which city? If you don't mind sharing. The part of the country will have some relation to the culture.

Frankfurt, Germany

Much better treatment, pay, benefits. I'm American but worked in Ireland for awhile. Labor unions have more power in the EU.

• Like 1
  • Author
Mind-Chants

I am yet to reach an agreement on Pay and Benefits. Though I have visited Germany before (ambivalent feelings) but moving away from friends and family to a different continent where people speak a different language and no friends to talk to, can be stressful (My German is just basic level). I have INTJ type personality. Though I socialize and can talk to people about things, I s*** at small talks.

The offer is important to me from my career perspective. I tried for the London office (would have instantly said yes to offer without asking too many questions) but based on my field of work, I was offered the Frankfurt position. This has led me to re-think my career move. I am now in a profile of Operations Management (Planning) in Heavy Industry and the job offer is Management Consultancy.

Very different IME. I worked 4 years in NL, now going on 4th in US.

You can expect much more consistent schedule, more holiday days, generally lower number of working hours in Europe. This also comes with less competitive culture and slower progression within/between companies.

If you ask more specific questions, I'll share more experiences (Germany is different than NL, but not that much I think).

Oh, and regarding language - it STRONGLY depends on your job. I was working in a research institute in NL and probably 30% f the people didn't speak a word of Dutch, it has never been an issue although they offered free language education/

• Like 1

Work culture is generally far more in favor of the employees compared to America. Euro companies that come to US are often better to work for than comparable native companies. And that is even after the Euro company adopts a 50% American style. Of course, who knows regarding your specific company.

I would be thrilled for such an offer! Unique experience, live it up while you can. Crash the German language hard, take real language classes and make the most of your opportunity. Germans are odd, eccentric people, but hey...that just makes it all the more interesting! You'll have a bonus in socializing because people will be extra curious with you being foreign. Win some special attention from the ladies if you can get out of your introverted head.

• Like 2
  • Author
Mind-Chants

Thank you for your replies. Few days back I had sought an appointment with the HR, today FRA HR finally reached out so a lot of things got clarified. I am definitely going to proceed with the job offer.

• Like 1
DramaInPajamas
IN Germany???? Everyone speaks English in Germany!!

Not all but most. It will be widely spoken. In a city like Frankfurt, you shouldnt have too many problems.

• Like 1
language barriers, not much english speakers there.

Almost everybody speaks English there.

• Like 2
  • Author
Mind-Chants

Thanks for valuable inputs.

Yea, the Frankfurt HR told me that most people speak English, if not speak at least understand the language. So getting by won't be a problem. But to socialize with them knowing German helps. Also there are few expat dominated areas, where one can feel comfortable. Interestingly stores remain closed on Sunday.

Yesterday I served notice to my employer for termination of my employment. August 31st is going to be my last working day. Flying to Frankfurt next week to sign the contract.

• Like 1

As I made the point on the Amsterdam thread, there are rumours of brain drain from the UK to Germany and the Netherlands (Ireland and France too) so I'd imagine English will be even more widely spoken.

• Like 1