Lied on resume by mistake

blueberrymuffin

So I applied for this job and lied on my resume by mistake. I am a professional in a field (totally qualified). A few years before I qualified for this job I started college to study for a related field. I got really ill just before the end - I had completed 90 % of the degree - and could not finish. I never went back because I decided that the job sucked and that I'd rather work in a related field instead. So I went to college and qualified for this other thing. My previous incomplete degree is not needed for my current job but the skills I learned really do help and makes me a better rounded candidate.

On my resume I normaly put down the other incomplete degree but always write down (incomplete as I got ill ...) This time I sent my resume, got called to interview at interview the guy interviewing me says 'I see you're a qualified xx' I'm thinking whaaat? But figured he had made a mistake. And also it was a super formal interview I just could not have said it then. So I get home and pull up my sent mail and see my resume and for some reason the 'incomplete as I got ill' section was deleted. This was totally unintentional and I've been freaking out over the last couple of days. I now got a call from them asking to call them back and I'm pretty certain they will offer me the job. Do I just keep quiet seeming as though I don't need this qualification to do the job, it's a bonus? And hope they don't ask to see that degree certificate. All other degrees are fine. Or do I come clean? If I come clean I don't see how it will look good. I'll look like a liar and I wouldn't buy the whole unintentional thing if I was them. I'm thinking of turning down the job just because I don't see what else to do.

Oh and I do have a job I really like, this was just a really good opportunity so I applied. I'm kinda scared to accept this job, for my 'lie' to emerge later on and then lose that job. I have major bills to pay and can't afford that :(

So I get home and pull up my sent mail and see my resume and for some reason the 'incomplete as I got ill' section was deleted. This was totally unintentional and I've been freaking out over the last couple of days.

Reading your other threads I'm suspicious about unintentional deletions. Are you really asking us for an answer or just need to absolve some sin and guilt?

Respectfully decline and cite a competing offer you do not wish to discuss if they question you.

Do the right thing with little things and big things now forever and always. I think your moral compass needs calibration, muffin.

Stage5Clinger

You need to own up before you start or you could find yourself liable for damages when they find out -- $$$$$$$$$

major_merrick

There's a couple of ways you could go about this. Decline the job offer, or 'fess up and say that you unintentionally made a mistake and would like to clarify, and that you understand if it makes a difference in their willingness to hire you. You could even get respect for honesty and get hired based on that.

Worst thing is that you don't get the job, and since you already have a good job you don't have much to worry about by clarifying what's going on.

• Like 6
TheFinalWord
So I applied for this job and lied on my resume by mistake. I am a professional in a field (totally qualified). A few years before I qualified for this job I started college to study for a related field. I got really ill just before the end - I had completed 90 % of the degree - and could not finish. I never went back because I decided that the job sucked and that I'd rather work in a related field instead. So I went to college and qualified for this other thing. My previous incomplete degree is not needed for my current job but the skills I learned really do help and makes me a better rounded candidate.

On my resume I normaly put down the other incomplete degree but always write down (incomplete as I got ill ...) This time I sent my resume, got called to interview at interview the guy interviewing me says 'I see you're a qualified xx' I'm thinking whaaat? But figured he had made a mistake. And also it was a super formal interview I just could not have said it then. So I get home and pull up my sent mail and see my resume and for some reason the 'incomplete as I got ill' section was deleted. This was totally unintentional and I've been freaking out over the last couple of days. I now got a call from them asking to call them back and I'm pretty certain they will offer me the job. Do I just keep quiet seeming as though I don't need this qualification to do the job, it's a bonus? And hope they don't ask to see that degree certificate. All other degrees are fine. Or do I come clean? If I come clean I don't see how it will look good. I'll look like a liar and I wouldn't buy the whole unintentional thing if I was them. I'm thinking of turning down the job just because I don't see what else to do.

Oh and I do have a job I really like, this was just a really good opportunity so I applied. I'm kinda scared to accept this job, for my 'lie' to emerge later on and then lose that job. I have major bills to pay and can't afford that :(

Fraudulent credentials are a pretty big deal. Most places ask for transcripts or will verify your degree. We don't have enough info about the industry to say for sure. I would not take it without clarifying the error.

Yellowteacup

Embellished and unintentional omissions can be a recruiters nightmare.

• Author
blueberrymuffin
Reading your other threads I'm suspicious about unintentional deletions. Are you really asking us for an answer or just need to absolve some sin and guilt?

Respectfully decline and cite a competing offer you do not wish to discuss if they question you.

Do the right thing with little things and big things now forever and always. I think your moral compass needs calibration, muffin.

That's pretty insulting Bummer. I don't think my previous threads say anything about my moral compass. And there is no reason for me not to tell the truth on here. This is an anonymous forum so if it was not a mistake I would have just said it. It's not like my prospective employer can read this.

You should absolutely fess up- whether you accept the position or not. It's a small world, especially in the same industry, and little things like this can follow you around and taint your reputation in the long run. You don't want to be known as someone who lies about a degree on your resume.

In the future, I'd personally leave off an unfinished degree from my resume altogether- I'm not sure how that would make you look like an attractive candidate. Resumes should simply demonstrate the best you have to offer, and an unfinished degree just makes you look like a quitter.

• Author
blueberrymuffin

So just to clarify I am totally 100 % qualified for the job I have applied for and extremely well qualified at that. I went to a good college, got a really good gpa and lots of experience. I am also pretty experienced. The issue is I went to college before all of this to do a degree in the same wider industry but different profession but had to quit when I was pretty much near to the end because I got really ill. This job I applied for advertised ONLY for the degree I am totally qualified in. They made no mention requiring my previous incomplete degree. But they mentioned it at the interview as it is a plus because it would mean I would have transferable skills. Which I have anyway because I pretty much completed the degree it's like the last half semester that I did not do. I know I have to come clean. I do not think they will ask to see the other first degree as it is not a requirement for the job but I am the type of person to constantly freak about it if I do not come clean. So they did offer me the job and I told them I have to think about it. I have to tell them later today. Should I accept by email and just say it in there? Or call them to talk about it? My cousin says I should tell them but not make a big deal about it, just be like 'oh yeah sorry I did not make this clear'

I mean, stop trying to argue or explain your way out of this- you made a mistake and appeared very dishonest. You had an opportunity to clarify and come clean in the interview but froze up and did not. It really depends on the standards of this employer, but the best thing to do would be to ask the recruiter/HR person if they have time to answer a question via phone. I would not explain something sensitive like this in email, that looks unprofessional and immature.

It's pretty standard to have a follow up phone call before accepting a job offer, they will likely make time to talk to you sometime this week. Then on the phone, explain your mix up and sound genuinely apologetic- not defensive like you're coming off here.

I'd ask if this changed the offer. If they really like you, they may not care at all. Or they may need to talk it over and reconsider.

You may not realise this but you will be making a huge mistake if you accept this job. You should politely decline and learn from your mistakes.

Employees are not always checked at the time of hire but will be screened at some point down the line. Your omission will probably be discovered at some point or another.

If you now admit to your 'mistake' while trying to accept the position you have been offered you will likely find yourself unemployed. Employers do not like nor do they appreciate being lied too especially in regards to qualifications. Regardless of whether it was a mistake or not. You had the opportunity at interview to fess up and instead you remained quiet. You will no longer be seen as a suitable candidate. It speaks to character and honesty. You didn't speak up so not only did you lie on your resume but at interview as well. You are already deeply into a lie and getting out of it would be simply declining the position.

It's clear from your last post that you would want to accept this position as you want to email them to accept however this could well spell a disaster. They may have hired you on the basis that you had the extra qualification even though it wasn't a specific requirement. It could be that you outdid the other candidates because of it. It's not reality. You do not have the qualification regardless of whether you completed 90% of the course. Employers take qualifications very seriously. It's something they can check almost immediately. You can try and justify it anyway you want but a lie is a lie and it will be viewed as such regardless of your protests that it was an error.

You're in a lose lose situation and you should back out of it as soon as you can. You have a job so no loss financially. Next time check your resume before sending.

Just my 2 cents on the matter!

• 2 weeks later...

I would just tell them I messed up.

Tell them what you told us.

You were confused didn't clarify, went home to check your resume etc....

If they still hire you great... if not. At least you know you were honest, and I'm sure they will appreciate you were honest with them too in the end.

As an employer of some 20+ yrs I see more fluffed up resumes and job apps than I care to think about. (not saying you did intentionally) Also unlisted past jobs held but not listed due to dismissal or job jumping.

I personally am pretty turned off to that resume/app/person. If someone made a mistake and called me to let me know of a mistake I would be impressed with them for having the personal integrity. I'm going to find out anyway.

Edited by Rockdad