Underage Servers?

SixthSt.Girl

This is kind of a strange question, but it does have to do with business - don't know about relationships...

Do you have to be 21 to serve alcohol in a restaurant (not a bar, but a restaurant with a bar that sells alcohol). I was hired for a part-time waitressing job. My dad, of course, is not for it, lol. He claims that since I'm out of college (I'm 23 years old), that no one with a degree or past college age waitresses unless they're really desperate because it's a job for high school kids. :rolleyes: I was like, dad, this place serves alcohol and shifts are 4:30 - 11:30 (it normally doesn't open for lunch) - how would high school kids even be able to get jobs there except for hostessing? The only waitress I know there is at least 21 because she went to school with me. I think he is full of it - I know at a bar, you have to 21 because I applied for a bar job some time ago and they asked for ID to make sure I was of age. Also, can't businesses be prosecuted for working students until midnight - I would assume that we will, at times, be expected to stay that late. I worked at a store once when I was 17 that was not allowed to keep me until after 11 on school nights. I honestly don't think they were supposed to keep me to that time at all, esp. since they're very unionized, but they didn't pay attention to those things...

Oh yeah, FTA - I told my dad that yes, I am desperate, unless he would like to continue spotting me cash. That shut him up. :)

In my state, you do have to be 21 to serve (or to even scan through alcohol at a grocery store).

A friend of mine was a cook at a restaurant several years ago, at times he was the only person above 21 there, so when a customer ordered a drink he actually had to carry it out to them, instead of one of the underage servers.

laRubiaBonita

it depends on the state or location's jurisdiction. check it on google.

but i know where i live, they are teenagers serving at least beer to diners at tables, not in the bar areas.

• Author
SixthSt.Girl

Ok - found it! This is really strange - 21 to pour alcohol. 18 to sell alcohol in sealed containers. 21 to sell intoxicating liquor across a bar. 19 to sell beer across a bar. Also, I know at stores, you must be 21 to scan alcohol. Very odd indeed... That's ok - our state is totally screwed up, I shouldn't be surprised at all, lol. So, I wonder if we pour the alcohol or just hand them a bottle and a glass - I honestly don't drink or go out to restaurants with anyone that does. It's been a long time. I guess it can vary with the restaurant.

MWC_LifeBeginsAt40

Where I live the age of majority is 18. Drinking age is 18. You have to be 18 (only) to serve, purchase, sell, drink, etc liquor. (16 to buy cigarettes, but at $11 a pack, who can afford it at age 16?)

• Author
SixthSt.Girl
Originally posted by mom-wife-cheater

Where I live the age of majority is 18. Drinking age is 18. You have to be 18 (only) to serve, purchase, sell, drink, etc liquor. (16 to buy cigarettes, but at $11 a pack, who can afford it at age 16?)

Canada and Europe are so much more liberal when it comes to alcohol, and life in general! I think it's a good thing in most cases, personally. Liquor laws only lead to more abuse of alcohol by teens/underage youth, especially. It's just surprising to hear of 18 and 20 year olds serving alcohol, esp. in the U.S. when they're not even allowed to drink it!