What to tell colleagues about surgery

I know that my surgery is strictly private. My problem is I don't want colleagues imagining something frivolous or thinking I'm taking sick leave for no good reason.

I'm taking just a few days off for a LLEEP surgery (where they put you under and remove pre-cancerous tissue from the cervix).

My office is weird about sick leave. The policy isn't weird, but coworkers are, and that matters because reputation here matters.

I want to mark myself out for "surgery" but I don't want anyone thinking I'm getting frivolous surgery e.g. cosmetic (no way could I ever afford the time or money for cosmetic procedures but people have spread rumors in the past. Not about cosmetic surgery per se, but a few people here see to think I'm rich and privileged or spoiled (LOL TIMES 10)-- someone in law school told me that was the way I look--and for example some coworker here recently thought I was taking vacations when in fact I was here!)

People will see "surgery" and inquire, are you ok.

I don't mind people knowing I'm getting LLEEP surgery but-- is that a creepy-intimate thing to tell others when they ask? What do I say? "It's private"-- and have them think I'm getting lip injections or something? "Getting pre-cancerous cells removed internally"--?

Or do I just decide it's useless to worry about rumors, mark myself out sick/medical, and stick to privacy?

• Like 1

It's not something I would ever discuss and I certainly would not care the slightest whether people thought it was frivolous. That is incredibly unlikely though in my opinion. When someone says 'surgery', most people think it's something serious.

If possible, I would mark it as sick leave, I don't see how it's anyone's business what that leave is.

• Like 2

You don't need to tell them where you're getting the cells removed from. Just say I'm getting pre cancerous cells removed. If they inquire further you can choose to elaborate, but don't do it off the bat. There is no need for it.

• Like 3
You don't need to tell them where you're getting the cells removed from. Just say I'm getting pre cancerous cells removed. If they inquire further you can choose to elaborate, but don't do it off the bat. There is no need for it.

^^^ This ^^^

• Like 1
acrosstheuniverse

Take a stand and don't allow yourself to be disrespected. State you're out for medical treatment. You might start a trend for, you know, respecting your colleagues' privacy.

• Like 7
loverboy69

I don't see what the big deal is?

I honestly think you're over thinking things unless you really did have plastic surgery and your just trying to hide it?

It's natural for your colleagues to wonder about your whereabouts when you've been gone a few days. If they didn't care then I'd say they never thought anything of you in the first place.

Believe me they're only going to ask for a couple of days. The world doesn't revolve around you and you're colleagues interest will be elsewhere in no time. Believe me!

Take it from me. I've had surgeries myself some of cosmetic nature. Most of the insecurity is in your head.

take a LLEEP of faith :laugh:

no, seriously, you don't need to explain anything to anyone regarding your surgery. if someone pushes the issue just tell them you had a "medical procedure" without giving any detail. most people will get the message.

• Like 1
  • Author

I honestly think you're over thinking things unless you really did have plastic surgery and your just trying to hide it?

But doesn't this comment illustrate that people will assume negative things, however unfounded?

I'm trying to avoid those assumptions at work since coworkers have shown the tendency to make unfounded, inaccurate negative assumptions in the past.

I want them to know I'm industrious and that I don't take sick leave just whenever.

Worth it? Or a waste of time?

• Author

I should add that people are weird lately about each others sick leave because of new management. Rules were more flexible in past. Now people fear rules are less flexible, but no one is sure.

Several people have begun looking around to make sure no one is trying to get away with coming into the office less. There's a tendency to point gingers or say things are unfair. No one wants to get in trouble and they whisper about others not following rules et c, but there's certainly no time clock.

I stick to even the perceived stricter rules, but I was dismayed to find that a couple colleagues perceived I was out of the office or taking unwarranted vacations when that was not at all true.

In my experience, when someone is this occupied by what's going on in the office, they don't have enough going on outside it.

Try not to care so much. It's none of their business what you are having surgery for, who cares what they think?

• Author
In my experience, when someone is this occupied by what's going on in the office, they don't have enough going on outside it.

Try not to care so much. It's none of their business what you are having surgery for, who cares what they think?

I'd like to advance (I'm a lawyer, it's a law firm) so I'm dependent on reputation and don't want misconceptions.

Why waste your whole life pretending and acting just for other people to look at you certain type of way?

Maybe this is a moment for you to make a stand that there is such thing as mind your own business and privacy. Or to start be real and realistic with each-other.

Lawyers have private life too! Surpriseeeee!

Saying that you are going for medical reasons. And if they ask more tell them nothing big. Thats enough.

And if you are a lawyer this should be piece of cake for you to answer just what you feel is needed.

And you cant control no ones mind what they may or will think.

So dont be busy with that. Because what ever you say they will think anyway.

So just be yourself and do what you feel rigth with it.

Go do your surgery and come back act normal.

The way you act about it will also make them act same.

Be yourself. You human too.