skipping industry "political" event ?

Tonight is a local celebration honoring somebody who is about to step into a statewide role leading a big organization in my industry.

It's being held 2 miles from my house.

I feel like I have to go to shake hands, see & be seen. I dressed for the occasion. It starts in 2 hours but I just don't wanna go.

There is no immediate downside to skipping it but part of me feels like I may be wasting a potential as yet unspecified future opportunity if I don't go.

For a variety of health reasons I have not been an active networker for at least 5 years. If I want to build my business I know I have to get back out there

So do I go or skip it?

TaraMaiden2

Argh....Heck, you know, I don't know.... I'd say 'go' but if in a half hour you don't enjoy it, slip away.....

Sometimes, you resist going to an event and feel just so not sociable - and you go anyway, and you're glad you went.

If you don't go, you'll never know.

But if you do, once there, you can re-evaluate....

• Like 2
  • Author
Go and show your face. Maybe they'll have free food. :)

They won't. This group is all about the liquids. Nobody will get sloppy but it's all booze.

amaysngrace
They won't. This group is all about the liquids. Nobody will get sloppy but it's all booze.

That's not excellent.

But I'd do what TM suggested. You can see how it is once you're there.

Do you know the honoree in a business or personal capacity?

Are you interested in progressing in the organization?

YMMV on this stuff. I tried it back in my 20's and 30's, doing all the organization stuff, community work projects, donating business time and materials to construction projects, gladhanding local politicians, etc, etc. Some of it was fun but none of it helped my business or personal life. My close friendships and profitable business associations came from long-term personal friendships with customers and other individuals.

Your situation is likely different, especially if moving in licensed professional categories. There's a certain amount of 'dues' that need to be paid. If that's the case, I'd go.

• Author
Do you know the honoree in a business or personal capacity?

Are you interested in progressing in the organization?

Your situation is likely different, especially if moving in licensed professional categories. There's a certain amount of 'dues' that need to be paid. If that's the case, I'd go.

I have zero interest in taking a leadership role in the organization even on a local level. I only know the guy professionally & even then not all that well. I will know everyone in the room in some capacity. It's a small town. There will even be people I went to HS with there & I think one of my cousin's will be there. I actually would like to see her.

Showing up has gotten me clients, work or some other tangible benefit in the past so I can't say they never did anything for me.

I'm sorta talking myself with help from all of you into popping in but not staying long unless I'm having a fabulous time. (like that's gonna happen)

• Like 1

Ha, yeah, I know what you mean. I remember, on one project, pouring concrete and doing the structural steel and the mayor was up on the scaffold with me bolting stuff together. That's how small towns work.

Often, the 'pop in', shake some hands, make some small talk and trade stories and smiles goes a long ways without a big investment. IME, you have a lot of company in that. Yeah, some folks live for the event stuff but plenty go and then leave. Unless you're the guest of honor, few will notice.

Specifics aside, I'd go just to stay out of the safety of your comfort zone. Plus your alternative evening of Netflix and ice cream probably won't be as rewarding as you hope due to the professional guilt. ;)

• Author
Specifics aside, I'd go just to stay out of the safety of your comfort zone. Plus your alternative evening of Netflix and ice cream probably won't be as rewarding as you hope due to the professional guilt. ;)

it's not really a comfort zone thing. Been there. Done this thousands of times. I'm not uncomfortable; more like bored. I used to be one of those people who lived for these things & would attend 7-10 of them per week. Now I'm just . . .blah

But you're right. Showing up is still probably better then a glass of wine at home with DH, then early to bed because my allergies are acting up. {rolls eyes}

• Author

I went. I shook a few hands. Circled the room once & left.

said in the voice of Maxwell Smart- "Ahh the old scoop and scoot!"

A lady knows when to make an impression :) Now go have that wine, it will ease those allergies.

• Like 1