How to ask for more money?

I have worked at my job for two years now, and I'm a very good worker. I have had my share of absences due to some emergencies and illness, but I'm a good employee and good at getting the job done. I've been told so by my boss several times. The problem is I work in a small company doing secretarial, accounting, collecting work. There is another lady that works there. She is the owner's sister. She only comes in after 1 p.m. She is always missing work too. She has been with the company for 10 years and gets paid salary about $695 every two weeks. I barely make $420 every two weeks. I do all of the work. Most of the time when she is here she is just on the computer playing solitare. I surf the net and stuff too, but only after all my work is done. I'm always on top of things. I post all the bills, make sure they get paid, I handle all the incoming money, I make collections calls. Pretty much everything. The only thing she really does is payroll every other week.

I think I deserve a raise, but I'm too chicken to ask for one. I got one in May last year for .50. Now I make $7/ hour. I think I should be getting more. I mean she gets a lot more than I for nothing. That's not fair, but I can't tell the boss that since it's his sister.

How do I ask for a raise?

laRubiaBonita

ask for a Review. tell your boss thjat the cost of living is going up faster than your salary, and if things continue, you will be forced to look for another, higher paying job.

Well, don't mention the 'sister' or any of her actions. We all no that'll getcha NOWHERE fast.

Approach the owner/manager. Provide reasons for why a pay raise would be appreciated. (They say to never cry broke when asking for a pay raise). Tell them that you'd like another raise based on your hard work and dedication.

When is your yearly eval coming up?

• Author

Well we really don't have one. It's a small family owned company and they don't do yearly reviews or anything like that.

laRubiaBonita
Originally posted by g_tabatha

Well we really don't have one. It's a small family owned company and they don't do yearly reviews or anything like that.

well you can certainly request one. If you do not do for yourself, especially in Business, no one else will cause they are all doing for themselves.

If you do not say anything about money, why raise your salary? you seemed not to mind.

• Author
Originally posted by laRubiaBonita

well you can certainly request one. If you do not do for yourself, especially in Business, no one else will cause they are all doing for themselves.

If you do not say anything about money, why raise your salary? you seemed not to mind.

Yeah, I understand. I just don't want to go in there sounding like I'm being whiny. I just always thought that raises should be offered and given as a result of hard work. Now I know that's not the way it works.

Your raises should be based on cost of living, time at the company and commensurate with a job well done. They're being cheap bastards - happens all the time.

• Author
Originally posted by tiki

Your raises should be based on cost of living, time at the company and commensurate with a job well done. They're being cheap bastards - happens all the time.

That's what I thought!

make a list of all you major accomplishements and things that you did over past year that went over and above the call of duty. then go in and basically say you believe you are worth at least $8 per hour and this is why (show them list or read off items). Dont' bring up the sister and imply in a round about way that it is hard to find good employees who will "stick around". Do not threaten in any way or say you will leave if u don't get it or any of that shyt, blah blah.

For gods sake even a trained monkey could make $8 bucks per hr! :p

curiousnycgirl

Everything that alphamale said (except the monkey part) and more.

Firstly do you realize you got a 7% raise last year? That's like unheard of nowadays! Although I've got to tell you - you won't get rich working for mom and pop places! You seriously need to consider looking elsewhere. Where do you live? Are there any mid sized or large companies there?

Getting back to what alphamale said - clearly you will be due for a raise in May - so start laying the ground work. Firstly get your arguments lined up. Secondly rather than waiting for them to figure out how much they want to give you, begin the discussion in April or the end of March.

Good luck to you!

WalkingTall

God, Alpha always beats me to the good points!!!!!!

Anyway, I just went through the same thing. I felt that I deserved a raise due to the increased amount of praise for projects completed well, and knowledge I aquired during the period following my last raise. I sent an e-mail that was well written and concise that outlined my accomplishments and goals for the future with the company.

It also stated my desire to stay with the company, lending my skills to the team, and aiding them in reaching their financial goals. But it did also let them know that I was looking for appropriate compensation, and without it, I would have to re-evaluate my short term commitments.

Right away I received a raise in day rate and a salary increase beyond what I asked as well.

If you are going to talk to them, prepare ahead of time and clearly state the reasons why you feel you deserve a raise. You may want to put in writting so you can keep a copy for your records.

If you do get turned down, ask for written reasons why they refused your request, again so you have that for your records and are able to dispute anything you feel is inaccurate.

Good luck!!!!!