Does my professor like me??

I'm a college student, age 24. My math instructor is SEXY you guys. His velvet voice, his personality, very easy going AND he's good looking. I have hearts in my eyes, he's my type! Couldn't take my eyes off him since the moment he walked in. I assume he's in his late 30's. (37, 38?)

I sit close to the front. I make eye contact with him immensely and he notices me do this. Some days he'll avoid looking at me during his lectures. Other days he acknowledges me (by calling on me or checking to see if I'm looking at him...which I always am!). Occasionally he makes an effort to talk to me, only when I'm sitting alone. When there's others around he sorta hangs by my area and talks to them instead, but stands fairly close to me as he does this. When he catches me looking at him he'll kinda give me a gentle raise of the eyebrows in acknowledgment as he continues to lecture.. Oh, and some days I come to class and eat fruit as I wait for him to start. I really sense that he observes this because randomly one day he had Tupperware of fruit on his desk with his things. In clear sight for me to see! Hmm hmm... Thoughts? I mean he definitely knows I'm attracted to him, but have I sparked his interest as well? Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I catch him glancing at me all the time!

But...being the spaz that I am, I ruined it. He never helps me during class work. But this one moment I was sitting alone, he stood by my desk and initiated a conversation by looking at my paper. He started helping me voluntarily and I was blushing HARD you guys! Like bashful to the max, hardcore geeking and couldn't concentrate on his words. I was tryin to laugh it off and told him I wanna figure it out on my own. He understood amd walked away. The next day I could barely look at him, but I tried. He noticed this and he avoids looking at me, though I still catch him checking on me. And today, same thing.... :(.

Thoughts? Is my teacher interested in me?

It doesn't matter. He is your teacher and ethically bound to do nothing.

As far as your post goes, no it doesn't sound like he is into you. He is your teacher, nothing more, which is as it should be.

Not to sound like a witch, but you would do better to focus on your class. The last thing either of you need is to get the rumor mill moving. You are just a student who can take classes anywhere, this is his job.

• Like 4

What the others said.

You are probably reading into it and - if not - even if he *is* attracted to you, if he acts on it he could lose his job.

This "hot-for-teacher" thing isn't uncommon. It's because women are attracted to men who are in authority, or who are authority figures.

Edited by oberkeat
  • Like 1

He probably knows you have a crush on him and is uncomfortable that's why he avoids eye contact as much as possible. Um, most people like fruit.

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
  • Author
Evelynunity

It's been couple months now and I constantly feel like the center of attention in his presence. Here's some examples:

- Before class begins, I usually sit quietly. Daydreaming or eating. He looks at me from his podium. All the time on different days. Feels like he's kinda checking on me. Even when I'm laughing to my friends I can sense his stare. And I'm ALWAYS right because I glance. we constantly make eye contact. I barely speak out otherwise during class. Maybe he's curious?

- He showed a documentary once and asked our thoughts on it. A few people gave feedback but I avoided his eye contact. I'm shy. He put me on the spot like "what do you think, Evelyn?" ...Why me??? I was embarrassed.

- He saw me in the hall once and called me out to say hi. To me? Why? I never speak to him. I do make eye contact and smile at him occasionally during his lectures to show respect/interest because I do like him as a person and a teacher. Thats it though.

- Once he came into class at the same time as my classmate. She waved to me. I smiled to her. My teacher gave me a half-wave/smile until he realized I wasn't smiling at him. Couple minutes later class hadn't started yet. He was on his laptop. I called him and raised my hand to ask a question. He smiled and started to wave again. I think he thought I was trying to say hi to him but then put his hand down to hear my question.

- A few days later. I felt like asking a question again. My question ended up being important I guess? Because after sharing his response with the class he put me on the spot like "thank you for bringing that up, Evelyn. Good job" and smiled. I dunno. My question wasn't that amazing lol.

- And lastly, he was going around helping students. He was helping students next to me and he glanced at me again. I was daydreaming. He teased me like "I'm gonna get to you next, Evelyn. Sitting there looking all depressed." It made me and the other students laugh. He laughed. Then he got to me. He gave me good advice for my assignment. It was very good advice and it made me smile. I said I'll use his idea. He seems glad to help me, then he put his hand on my hand before he walked away.

That last clue got me wondering. Like is he interested in me? Or is he only being extra nice?. I just want an outside perspective. He is a nice guy though.

He's an educator being engaging a student. Nothing he is doing suggests any romantic interest. He sees you as a child he is educating, nothing more. professors enjoy their jobs more when their students are engaged & the professor feels like they actually taught somebody something. It is the farthest thing from sexual or romantic.

Be happy you have a professor who learned your name If the subject is in your major perhaps you can use him as reference later. Beyond that he has no interest in you.

• Like 5

snip

Like is he interested in me? Or is he only being extra nice?. I just want an outside perspective. *He is a nice guy though.

*If he's been nice to you, its probably because he's a nice guy.

Mystery solved...

• Like 1

Is this the velvet voice sexy math teacher from November? Or a new guy? :confused:

I think you're reading a lot, as in way too much, into things. Might be a habit you should break. Focus on your education.

• Like 1
GorillaTheater
Is this freaking Déjà vu, why do I keep seeing this subject over and over?

How little did I suspect while in college how many of the female students lusted after their professors. Those guys were lucky to make it out of the classroom without getting their khakis ripped off.

What a naïf I was.

• Like 2

GT makes me wish I was a professor… they get more action than Rock Stars apparently….

• Like 3
GorillaTheater
GT makes me wish I was a professor… they get more action than Rock Stars apparently….

Most of them are probably sensible enough not to risk their careers for a piece of some coed, but in my job I get to deal with the ones who aren't, and they're not too unusual.

I guess what the multitude of threads like this have opened my eyes to is that while many of these profs are a bit predatory, that's not the whole story. I imagine now that there are any number of cases where it's set in front of them on a platter. Not to excuse their poor judgment in accepting (if the student is one of their students), but it is an interesting take on the issue for me. After having four daughters, I started to see every man as a predator. :laugh:

• Like 1
GoodOnPaper

Not all of us - in my 20 years as a professor, I haven't had as much as an eyelash batted at me. I think a lot depends on field of study (something that taps into emotions or otherwise has exotic qualities or travel opportunities --> more temptations), geography (big city liberal vs. rural conservative), and student age distribution (more non-traditional students --> wider age range of professors tempted).

I've posted before that I think TV and movies (and maybe LS) very much over-romanticize professor/undergraduate affairs. 99.9% of us aren't reckless enough to risk marriage, livelihood, and professional reputation over this type of fling. The real-life instances I'm aware of are uglier and sleazier than outsiders think they would be.

In my field, a lab science, the most common type of professor/student entanglement is when young male assistant professors at large research universities get involved with and marry one of the graduate students or post-docs in their research group. Not surprising - at that point, they are putting in 100-hour work weeks always being around the same students & post-docs. This practice may fade, though, with all the growing negative publicity about sexual harassment of grad students - just do a general news search for Cal-Berkeley.

• Like 2

My SO is a professor.

He even has that silly chili pepper on Rate My Professor.

Students and former students do come on to him. One sent him an email recently making it obvious she would be willing to do all kinds of things for grade improvement... I encouraged him to send THAT one and his negative response to his boss to keep on the record. Disgusting!

He never, ever would engage a current student. It wouldn't matter who she was, even before him and I were together.

BUT he said there's several of his colleagues who go years without sex or even dates. He never did that long before he was a professor, and honestly it's hard for me to imagine for an adult, too.

Is this freaking Déjà vu, why do I keep seeing this subject over and over?

Because every female student thinks her professor has a crush on them.:rolleyes: Poor guys can't even do their jobs.

• Like 2
Montgomery Burns
I'm a college student, age 24. My math instructor is SEXY you guys. His velvet voice, his personality, very easy going AND he's good looking. I have hearts in my eyes, he's my type! Couldn't take my eyes off him since the moment he walked in. I assume he's in his late 30's. (37, 38?)

I sit close to the front. I make eye contact with him immensely and he notices me do this. Some days he'll avoid looking at me during his lectures. Other days he acknowledges me (by calling on me or checking to see if I'm looking at him...which I always am!). Occasionally he makes an effort to talk to me, only when I'm sitting alone. When there's others around he sorta hangs by my area and talks to them instead, but stands fairly close to me as he does this. When he catches me looking at him he'll kinda give me a gentle raise of the eyebrows in acknowledgment as he continues to lecture.. Oh, and some days I come to class and eat fruit as I wait for him to start. I really sense that he observes this because randomly one day he had Tupperware of fruit on his desk with his things. In clear sight for me to see! Hmm hmm... Thoughts? I mean he definitely knows I'm attracted to him, but have I sparked his interest as well? Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I catch him glancing at me all the time!

But...being the spaz that I am, I ruined it. He never helps me during class work. But this one moment I was sitting alone, he stood by my desk and initiated a conversation by looking at my paper. He started helping me voluntarily and I was blushing HARD you guys! Like bashful to the max, hardcore geeking and couldn't concentrate on his words. I was tryin to laugh it off and told him I wanna figure it out on my own. He understood amd walked away. The next day I could barely look at him, but I tried. He noticed this and he avoids looking at me, though I still catch him checking on me. And today, same thing.... :(.

Thoughts? Is my teacher interested in me?

Is he a tenured, adjunct or professor by title only?

I wouldn't waste my time. Sure, he will probably bed you, but he also gets new meat every semester so....